Tiny Tank, Tiny Budget Contest

Okay everybody, I updated the first post with the names of everyone participating. I'll post here to remind you to post your updated pictures. 

Feel free to also start a separate build thread of you want to. Just make sure to post an update here by 5pm on the due date. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my 3/31 update.  I've now got some corals and a frogfish added, though I don't feel like I am done.  The air plants are doing fine so far.  I really need to hook up some sort of ATO if I want any sort of stability.  Lesson learned.  

20180329_192717.jpg

20180329_192728.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gil&Fin said:

Here's my 3/31 update.  I've now got some corals and a frogfish added, though I don't feel like I am done.  The air plants are doing fine so far.  I really need to hook up some sort of ATO if I want any sort of stability.  Lesson learned.  

20180329_192717.jpg

20180329_192728.jpg

That looks great Holly! Did you get the little black one from Jeff?

The downside of having a bunch of old equipment around is that you never know how reliable it still is. I woke up yesterday to find both my heater, and light had stopped working.

I know this is lame since this whole thing was my idea, but I'm just going to call this a 7$ loss and throw in the towel.  

I'll still be keeping track of the backend stuff for the contest. Good luck everybody! The tanks are already looking awesome!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My tank got a case of the ugliness this week. Green hair algae and cyano took over the tank after the cycle. I took out a couple of the rocks and gave them  a peroxide shower and a toothbrushing and they look a lot better. I got a clean-up crew in there and hopefully everything is going to get better with some water changes by the end of the week.

I got a couple of maxi-mini anemones last week that are awesome. I have four rocks total, so I'm thinking rock flowers on one, zoas on another, and some mushrooms on the third. Hopefully I'll be able to stock up on some of these later in the week and get them growing!

IMG_7216_v1.JPGIMG_7208_v1.JPG

• Like 4

Here’s me 3/31 update:

So far everything has been good other than a huge ich outbreak and I not sure where from. (This photo was from a day or so ago there is no fish in the tank as of now)83afc8df6590d3f8386ae457018da495.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3/31 Update

Added a mushroom last weekend, it is looking happy and plump. Yesterday I fragged some frogspawn and a hammer I have in my 170 and threw them in. They have opened a little today but still pretty unhappy. Hopefully they will settle in over the next few days. Later this week I will add some zoa’s to the section with the mushroom.  Have a little patch of cyano but it appears to be going away over the last few days  

EF1253CD-D9D8-46FC-888D-900BD3EDFD55.jpeg

64CE712C-1626-4705-95EF-A2860DD3B189.jpeg

B4FB9CE3-C59F-4289-ACF4-EA0D7C731DD5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Hey guys!  Our updates are due in like an hour.  Let's see 'em!  @Flash21@Bubbles@rdavis@Oregonic@Kingfisher

Here's mine.  I lost a couple of coral and, alas, my frogfish did not make it.  I might make some changes this coming week though.

737b751dddc5467a05c3efadf995b557.jpg1e3a127a14fe91f7e6a813b61c9e1f71.jpg

Bummer about the frog fish :teardrop:  Looks like you rearranged the rock work island.  Looking good!

• Like 1

My update for the punchbowl:

I fought the green hair algae and cyano bloom for the last two weeks-- It definitely got worse before it got better. I borrowed my conch and a turbo from my display tank and and changed water a few times to make it better. Now the tank is looking better, but really bare. Time to get stocking!

IMG_7253.jpg

Still loving my maxi-minis!

IMG_7258.jpg

I'll be picking up a flower anemone at the meeting tomorrow-- hoping to get some bright zoas to give the tank some color! I'm thinking some Rastas and SunnyDs on one rock and a couple of ricordia on the other.

• Like 2

Ive been hit hard with cyano. I have tried manually removing but just keeps coming back. I should have some chemi clean showing up monday, worked great on my other tank over a year ago.  Hopefully it will have cleard up by next update so I can continue adding a few corals. Frogspawn and hammer have settled in nicely and opening fully now and mushroom continuing to grow.  

3A473795-EA48-4656-9F9C-088B6A684539.jpeg

AD56BD7F-B6C6-4E93-99C8-D6C32E0616A6.jpeg

470AF5FB-4DC4-411A-A60C-E8D25035F531.jpeg

• Like 1