Looking For Calibration Fluid For Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

TheClark

40 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Where do you guys get yours?  I tried RODI but it read 1.001 instead of 1.000.  Would rather have something similar to what it first shipped with.  

I use steam distilled water from the grocery to zero it. That has always worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just refill the bottle they included with water from my RODI unit. Every 6 or so months I re check with a calibrated refractometer. Jeremy if you suspect issues with the Milwaukee, the 1st thing I suggest is changing the 9V battery, regardless of what it states is left. I found after almost a year and a half the thing started giving bad readings with 86% battery, with no other options I changed the battery and it fixed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Exodus said:

I just refill the bottle they included with water from my RODI unit. Every 6 or so months I re check with a calibrated refractometer. Jeremy if you suspect issues with the Milwaukee, the 1st thing I suggest is changing the 9V battery, regardless of what it states is left. I found after almost a year and a half the thing started giving bad readings with 86% battery, with no other options I changed the battery and it fixed it.

Very good to know, thanks.

2 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

I guess I should probably switch.  I wasn't aware that RODI and steam distilled water are not the same thing essentially.  I take it steam distillation is a more effective purification process? 

Water from a good RODI filter and steam distilled water are very similar. However, if you are like me, I don't change my RODI filter until I am getting 1-2 ppm water out of it. You don't want to use that 2 ppm water to zero your refractometer. The gallon jugs of steam distilled water from the store are cheap, and they are always 0 ppm.

• Haha 1