Frogfish

ReefSlave

I had a wart skinned frog fish and it was the coolest thing I've ever kept in a tank. I would love to get another one at some point. Mine was doing great, but unfortunately got stressed out during a move and never recovered. 

I did a ton of research before buying one. Here's what I did.

- If you order from a local store, arrange to pick it up right when it comes in. They stress easily, so making them acclimate to conditions in the store, then transferring again and acclimating to your tank at home is hard on them. 

- NEVER let them be exposed to air. If they swallow air, they're pretty much doomed. 

- They will probably only accept live food in the beginning. Some will learn to take frozen food if you have a little patience. Some are stubborn and will never take anything but live food. Either way, be prepared ahead of time.  When you first get one, it might not be interested in eating for several days. 

- Training mine to eat frozen was easy enough, although it took 6 weeks or so to get him onto only frozen food. I bought ghost shrimp from petsmart a month ahead of buying the fish. They have basically no nutritional value, so I loaded them up with good quality food. The shrimp die pretty quickly in salt water, but if I held them by the tail with long tongs, the fish would be attracted to their movement and snatch them up. 

- Everything I read told me the best all around frozen food was pieces of tilapia filets. I started by holding a sliver of tilapia asking with the shrimp, and he would gulp down everything at once. Eventually, he learned to associate the tongs with food. I think he would have eaten a rock if I held it in those tongs and waved it in front of him. 

- Once you have them eating frozen, the hard part is over. They will actually eat themselves to death if you let them. They only need to eat something a little bigger than their eye once every 3-4 days. 

- Anything that can fit in their mouth, will become dinner. 

- They're color will change in your tank. They change color to match their environment. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

I was wondering what happened to himthat’s too bad.  Great information though Jack. I believe Scott had one too. @spectra what happened to your frog fish?

I still have one now in a 14 gallon. Its a Hawaiian Dwarf or something like that. I picked it up from Aaron down in Wilsonville. Cuttlefish also has one in the shop been there for at least 6 months I think. It is a black one.

I pretty much just keep small chromis in the tank and also peppermint shrimp. Mine was orange but now is more of a yellow with strings on its body. Cool little fish just not very active :laugh: so if your looking for something that pretty much just sits there its the perfect fish. Oh also no stinging corals as they like to sit in things. Mine lives in the rockwork but also climbs the gorgonians and macro in the tank.

IMG_4665.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spectra said:

I still have one now in a 14 gallon. Its a Hawaiian Dwarf or something like that. I picked it up from Aaron down in Wilsonville. Cuttlefish also has one in the shop been there for at least 6 months I think. It is a black one.

I pretty much just keep small chromis in the tank and also peppermint shrimp. Mine was orange but now is more of a yellow with strings on its body. Cool little fish just not very active :laugh: so if your looking for something that pretty much just sits there its the perfect fish. Oh also no stinging corals as they like to sit in things. Mine lives in the rockwork but also climbs the gorgonians and macro in the tank.

IMG_4665.jpg

That’s a nice little tank! I don’t see the frogfish though? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

That’s a nice little tank! I don’t see the frogfish though? 

That's because its hiding in the rock basically where the chromis are. I rarely see it out but just know where to look. I will snap a pic when its out. There are a few on the forum from past shots. New computer and have no pics really.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spectra said:

IMG_4665.jpg

Looking good Scott!

Yeah - I saw the black one yesterday at Cuttlefish - he still seems to be doing well so am guessing he is eating frozen now (didn't ask).

• Thanks 1

“Inappropriate reefer” on youtube has one. Watching his videos had made me want a dedicated tank to keep one. He keeps a freshwater tank for ghost shrimp to feed him.  Heres a link to his how to keep video  

I Think I Watched Just About The The Videos On Mochi lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Looking good Scott!

Yeah - I saw the black one yesterday at Cuttlefish - he still seems to be doing well so am guessing he is eating frozen now (didn't ask).

Thanks! and yep that one at Cuttle eats chromis to or anything it can get :laugh:

• Like 1

Alright guys update.. he's been in the tank since about 2. within 30 minutes of him being in the tank he ate a ghost shrimp I put in there earlier cuz I didn't expect him to eat them for a few days. So he seems really happy. I was really worried about my clown fish wanting to beat on him. But the clown has absolutely no interest in the frogfish who I names Sitri. Thank you for all of your support and I hope to have him for time to come and I will post here periodically if you all want.5a58fba67c72d10633a0d3586b39cdaa.jpga52b9994952dd403f14b9e74f0bf07eb.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

Your clownfish might have a very short future. Just mentally prepare for him to disappear on you one day. 

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the post.......

Also I know there is a guy on ebay selling saltwater ghost shrimp or used to. I almost got some to toss into my fuge and then pull them out as needed.

Lmfaooo!!! Yes I consider that to be an issue.. the clown is a black and white so if it become an issue of size (which it will eventually I imagine) then I'll rehome her a new tank

Image: I took the orange clown back cuz they wouldn't stop fighting.. so I come home with a tank mate that will eventually eat the other [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]7c0a4e374b44372fc49de5b099180139.jpg

So I've had the frog fish a few days now seems to being doing well enough. No labored breathing. He ate withing thirty minutes of being in the DT. I don't think he likes my light tho? Completely goes to the back of the tank when the lights are on. I'll try raising it and see what happens.
Does anyone here have any Frogfish experience?