G dangit.....

Taylorhardy1

Mixed up a tablespoon of kalkwasser into a shotglass of ro water for some aiptasia control, I use an old 5ml syringe for aiptasia control. I filled it with 5ml of kalk paste, and the tip of the syringe ended up bursting after knocking down 3 aips, jetting about 4mls of kalk paste right into my display. Ive never used kalk for dosing, and don't know much about it other than what I've read for using it for aiptasia control. My alk has jumped from 7.9 to 8.3 since the incident. Feel like its still climbing. Is there anything I can do to prevent loss right now? Should I just keep testing and observing? 

How large of a water change should I do? 30%? Total water volume on my system is right around 120g. Alk is reading 8.3-8.4, seems to be leveling out right there. My whole tank to clouded up a bit for about 15 minutes, Corals haven't retracted polyps or changed appearance, but I definitely don't want to risk long term damage. 

I'm at an hour since the overdose, and It seems as though alk has stabilized at 8.4, cal is pretty high at 480, and Mag has dropped a little to 1260. Will the kalk continue to leach elements into the water causing more fluctuation? Will the water change just shock the corals more than just riding it out? Currently mixing 55g of water. Have 12g on hand I'm getting ready to change right now. 

Edited by Taylorhardy1

Thanks everyone. Ive been super anxious, as nothing has gone through that sudden of a change. So far some of my more sensitive acros appear to have a bit more pastel coloration. The rest of my sps, lps and softies seem to be just fine. Watching for alk burns, and further color changes. Changed 12g of water.

Man, my son has dumped huge amounts of either soda ash or calcium chloride into my system, on multiple occasions.  Digital timers are not beyond a 5 year old.  This has long since been fixed but I've had some very concerning amounts dosed at once.  Like, more than a gallon of it at a time on a system that typically needs like 10mL/day.  It seems to precipitate out in < 24 hours, weirdly.  Something about trying to ramp up chemistry too fast tends to result in precipitation.  That said, I've never used Kalk and have no idea how any of this applies to it.