Seahare dying?

Taylorhardy1

I got a seahare about a month ago to help clear up a gha issue I was battling. He cleaned up my main rock structure really well, and then the day I was planning on taking him back I was given some corals and rocks with a bit of gha on it so I figured I'd keep him till the gha was cleaned off the recent additions. He was mowing through the algae since the day I got him. Today there's still a little bit of gha for him to eat, but when I stopped by my house on my lunch break I found him looking like this. IMG_20180228_122744.thumb.jpg.3b1f4fec9164723c1502f2fe8b87c497.jpg

Obviously not good at all. Ive been testing phosphate, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate regularly lately with both ammonia and nitrite being undetectable, and nitrates somewhere between 0 and 5. Things have been more stable than ever recently. I swapped out sumps a few days ago on my semi regular water change day and only changed the normal amount, using what I could of the old water in order to help prevent swings as much as possible. Everything else has reacted to the new changes quite well. I definitely don't think it's a water quality issue. None of my fish ever picked on him either so I'm not quite sure what could have caused this. 

Essentially what I'm wondering is should I leave him in there and give him a chance to potentially pull through, or is he too far gone for any hope of recovery?

I’ve never had a sea hare live longer than a month or so myself. They starve pretty quickly. If you want an algae eater of the same variety I recommend an abalone. I’ve had mine for several years now and it does the same thing the sea hare was good for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

I’ve never had a sea hare live longer than a month or so myself. They starve pretty quickly. If you want an algae eater of the same variety I recommend an abalone. I’ve had mine for several years now and it does the same thing the sea hare was good for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to give them a look. The idea with the seahare was to have it eat as much as possible, then do a flucanozole treatment after it was gone to kind of help with keeping nutrients a bit more stable during the algae die off. Was hoping to have less algae to deal with when starting treatment though! This guy mowed through everything from gha and bryopsis, to excess macro that somehow attached to rock work, just didn't quite finish cleaning the tank by the time he passed unfortunately. 

I’ve never had much luck with seahorses either. Mine always ended up finding the vortech. They do starve pretty quickly but I have known people to keep them for a year or more too. I also had one that actually cleaned up my cyano and died from that but man the tank looked great. 

• Like 1