Treacherous tank mates

Snappy

I have a 28 gallon cube. Due to an unfortunate jumping death to my clown fish, my tank consisted of a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo, a cleaner shrimp, and a coral beauty. In the last couple weeks, the goby started to remain hidden all day. I put 3 anthias in the tank on wednesday, and the coral beauty had killed one in 2 days. The local fish shop gave me one additional anthias to keep up the school and safety in numbers strategy. Within 24 hours, only one single anthias remains. He gets harrassed by the coral beauty regularly, and has a sore on each side. These sores killed one fish early on, so I'm nervous for my final fish in here. I'm also concerned about finding anything compatible with my tank anymore that the coral beauty won't destroy. Anyone have ideas on compatible fish or what to do with the coral beauty? I only have the one aquarium, and it is FULLY stocked with reef rock and coral. Its VERY difficult to get a fish out. It involves tearing down the entire reef structure and putting it in dry buckets temporarily.

Ive had great luck with catching fish in stocked reefs with 2 nets, and fast hands during feeding. The only strategies I know of for calming down a bully is by removing it and putting it in another tank for a week or so to give the other fish a chance to establish a territory. You could try to put new additions in an acclimation box so they can see eachother and warm up to eachother without being able to fight. 

• Like 1

Remove it.  I can't stand badly behaved fish and have had to dig a lot of them back out of my tank.  The traps that marinedepot sells work really well as does feeding/nets.  Dwarf angels  are kind of hit or miss, hence the common 'with caution' they have attached to them.  I had a flame angel for the first year or so and it was really well behaved.  One day it just decided it was going to start eating coral.  I've never tried another after how ornery that fish became.  

Fish selection and stocking has undoubtedly been one of my biggest challenges.  There's unfortunately a ton of potential conflicts and even then, individual specimens can vary quite a bit.  That's not even taking different environments into account. 

It's like playing 8-dimensional chess, basically.  The only success I've had is through failure on this front.  The most important thing I've learned about all of this though is that any fish that is causing undesired results in your tank should be removed ASAP.  For me, this is a hobby of beauty and aesthetic.  Having a rude fish causing me, a human being, actual stress is just silly but I've been there a whole bunch of times. 

Apologies, this has been on my mind a lot since my recent sailfin adventure. 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 2

Remove the coral beauty and find appropriate sized fish for the 28g tank.  A coral beauty and (3) or any number of anthias should not be housed in a 28g tank unless it was under QT (temporary) conditions.  I would recommend looking at the fish in the nano section of liveaquaria.com.  you don't have to buy from there but it would give you an idea of what fish you could buy from your LFS.    

https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/2124/nano-fish?c=15+2124   

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Snappy said:

The local fish shop owner sold me the anthias and said the coral beauty wouldn't bother them. Should have trusted my instinct

Well, I wouldn't have expected the coral beauty to bother them either but it is a large fish for a 28 gallon regardless... even if it is a dwarf (all relative).  I have had dwarf angels in several (larger) tanks and they never bothered their other tank mates but it is always a roll of the dice with any fish.  Probably best to remove it and start over with some tank size sensitive choices.  Lots of cool smaller fish out there that would do well in there.