Buying a used ICP-OES Testing Machine

Bubbles

I've been thinking of buying a used ICP-OES testing machine for testing Aquarium water. Thinking of longer-term being able to test water samples local. Let me know what you all think. 

PS, 

If your wondering ICP-OES stands for Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy and it Heats a test solution with plasma ripping apart the molecules creating light that a sensor reads. the benefit of ICP testing is from one sample I can test up to 50 different elements. (This is a very basic explanation of how an ICP-OES machine works the full explanation is much more complicated.)

Edited by Bubbles
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

Wow, cool!

I would be a customer if the testing price was extremely competitive and the results were in line with other ICP-OES providers.

That's great to hear! I am working to keep prices low in the 20-30$ range I am In the process of learning accurate testing methods, otherwise, there would be no point in offering it lol. Will keep this idea updated!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

That's great to hear! I am working to keep prices low in the 20-30$ range I am In the process of learning accurate testing methods, otherwise, there would be no point in offering it lol. Will keep this idea updated!

Sounds promising!  Will be interesting to know what one needs to do re calibration - especially with a broad spectrum of elements.  Probably have some pre-mixed samples available to facilitate this.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

This sounds interesting! Just the name of that machine alone makes it sound super expensive though!

Haha you’ll be correct for a used machine with cooling and a auto sampler I’d be looking in the 7200-15000 dollar range!

Edited by Bubbles

31 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Actually surprised they aren’t more expensive. 

Again this would be a used machine fairly old I fact. But just because it’s older doesn’t mean it’s not still accurate for what I would be needing it for Some of the newer used ones are 45k-90k

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Actually surprised they aren’t more expensive. 

I’m with you I thought they would be substantiently more! I will be a customer! The thing with triton and others for myself that is a huge draw back is the turn around! For me I keep putting it on the back burner just because of that! Please make this happen! I would think you would be testing everyone’s water very shortly after.lol maybe contract with triton or the others to do the PNW region? 👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, 503reefland said:

I’m with you I thought they would be substantiently more! I will be a customer! The thing with triton and others for myself that is a huge draw back is the turn around! For me I keep putting it on the back burner just because of that! Please make this happen! I would think you would be testing everyone’s water very shortly after.lol maybe contract with triton or the others to do the PNW region? 👍👍👍

I have noticed the long turn around time, and it must be shipping and the sheer amount of tests. Because from my knowledge the test only takes about 5-9 minutes. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Alright after lots of research and help from friends in the lab industry, I've chosen the ICP-OES testing machine best suited for saltwater testing a PerkinElmer Optima 4300 DV Spectrometer * Dual-View ICP-OES

More details coming soon,

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3