Jump to content
Bubbles

Buying a used ICP-OES Testing Machine

Recommended Posts

I've been thinking of buying a used ICP-OES testing machine for testing Aquarium water. Thinking of longer-term being able to test water samples local. Let me know what you all think. 

 

PS, 

If your wondering ICP-OES stands for Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy and it Heats a test solution with plasma ripping apart the molecules creating light that a sensor reads. the benefit of ICP testing is from one sample I can test up to 50 different elements. (This is a very basic explanation of how an ICP-OES machine works the full explanation is much more complicated.)

Edited by Bubbles
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, cool!

I would be a customer if the testing price was extremely competitive and the results were in line with other ICP-OES providers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheClark said:

Wow, cool!

I would be a customer if the testing price was extremely competitive and the results were in line with other ICP-OES providers.

That's great to hear! I am working to keep prices low in the 20-30$ range I am In the process of learning accurate testing methods, otherwise, there would be no point in offering it lol. Will keep this idea updated!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

That's great to hear! I am working to keep prices low in the 20-30$ range I am In the process of learning accurate testing methods, otherwise, there would be no point in offering it lol. Will keep this idea updated!

Sounds promising!  Will be interesting to know what one needs to do re calibration - especially with a broad spectrum of elements.  Probably have some pre-mixed samples available to facilitate this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds amazing. Tagging along

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

This sounds interesting! Just the name of that machine alone makes it sound super expensive though!

Haha you’ll be correct for a used machine with cooling and a auto sampler I’d be looking in the 7200-15000 dollar range!

Edited by Bubbles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ATI and Triton are both based out of Germany. I'm sure a lot of people across the US are looking some something with a better turn around. Not sure why no one in the US has taken that on already

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bubbles said:

Haha you’ll be correct for a used machine with cooling and a auto sampler I’d be looking in the 7200-15000 dollar range!

Actually surprised they aren’t more expensive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Actually surprised they aren’t more expensive. 

Again this would be a used machine fairly old I fact. But just because it’s older doesn’t mean it’s not still accurate for what I would be needing it for Some of the newer used ones are 45k-90k

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Actually surprised they aren’t more expensive. 

I’m with you I thought they would be substantiently more! I will be a customer! The thing with triton and others for myself that is a huge draw back is the turn around! For me I keep putting it on the back burner just because of that! Please make this happen! I would think you would be testing everyone’s water very shortly after.lol maybe contract with triton or the others to do the PNW region? 👍👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 503reefland said:

I’m with you I thought they would be substantiently more! I will be a customer! The thing with triton and others for myself that is a huge draw back is the turn around! For me I keep putting it on the back burner just because of that! Please make this happen! I would think you would be testing everyone’s water very shortly after.lol maybe contract with triton or the others to do the PNW region? 👍👍👍

I have noticed the long turn around time, and it must be shipping and the sheer amount of tests. Because from my knowledge the test only takes about 5-9 minutes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright after lots of research and help from friends in the lab industry, I've chosen the ICP-OES testing machine best suited for saltwater testing a PerkinElmer Optima 4300 DV Spectrometer * Dual-View ICP-OES

 

More details coming soon,

s-l1600.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad this popped back up as I hadn’t made the connection as to who this was. Makes it even more interesting as an option!  Keep us posted. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×