Cheap wifi/cloud Temp Monitor and Power Outlet Also works with Alexa

Mchums

Just thought I'd put out there a great way to remotely monitor temp in the tank - only about $24 total!  I picked up a Sonoff TH16 and Temp Prob and they work great!

Features

• WIFI and Cloud
  • Remotely monitor temp
  • 16A Power outlet can be controlled by high and/or low temp thresholds
  • Set time schedules for automatic control: It has single, repeating, and countdown timers.
  • Works with Amazon alexa (i just have to say, alexa turn off "Aquarium Pumps".

What you need.  I ordered from China (https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-th.html).  With shipping about $17.  You can also get these from amazon but you'll pay about $10 more for them.

• Sonoff Temp Sensor-DS18B20, $3.50
  • Sonoff TH16, $8.50

You'll also need a small 3 pronged extension cord if you want to use the power.  I bought one at fred meyer for $8.  You'll have to cut each end of the extension cord off (i did about 6" for each side) and then wire the plugs into the Sonoff 16.  It's very easy but you'll need wire cutters and strippers to do it clean.

I currently have the pumps on my aquarium on the power outlet so I can turn them on/off via alexa when I feed the fish.  I've also set the low temp threshold to 1 degree less than my normal temp, so if I forget to turn the pumps back on (i have kids, i get distracted A LOT), then it automatically turns the pumps back on for me when it see's the 1 degree temp drop.  I plan on making a thermoelectric chiller for the summer here really soon and I'll use the sonoff to control the chiller instead vie the high and low threshold.   My goal for the chiller is less than $30, I'll post that when I'm done as well.

• Like 5

Very cool!  IOT is happening and putting healthy pressure on reef controllers to stay competitive.  Love it, thanks for sharing!

PS:  I usually pull of the stainless steel jacket from the temp probe with a pair of pliers.  For me it slips right off and there is just rubber underneath.  It's one less possible source of contaminates in the tank.

• Like 1

I have a pair of IoT power plugs that I had intended to use for my return pump and maybe skimmer.  I have set them up to turn on/off through Alexa but haven't actually put them in my reef.  Having worked in IT and been a troubleshooter by trade I have an inherent distrust of all things wireless, voice-controlled and 'smart'.  I'm sure it works perfectly and mine have.  However, with three kids I just can't risk it.  They'd hear me and then they would play with it the second I wasn't there.  At any rate, cool to see things heading this way.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

I have a pair of IoT power plugs that I had intended to use for my return pump and maybe skimmer.  I have set them up to turn on/off through Alexa but haven't actually put them in my reef.  Having worked in IT and been a troubleshooter by trade I have an inherent distrust of all things wireless, voice-controlled and 'smart'.  I'm sure it works perfectly and mine have.  However, with three kids I just can't risk it.  They'd hear me and then they would play with it the second I wasn't there.  At any rate, cool to see things heading this way.  

HAHA Kids cannot resist voice control!

• Like 2

Ha - yea, voice could be a bit tricky with little ones; my youngest is 10 and doesn't mess with it.

Note on getting it going on your net.  I had an issue connecting it to my 5G network.  Make sure you pick the non-5G net and it'll link right up.  Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help!

- Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 10:44 AM, Mchums said:

Ha - yea, voice could be a bit tricky with little ones; my youngest is 10 and doesn't mess with it.

Note on getting it going on your net.  I had an issue connecting it to my 5G network.  Make sure you pick the non-5G net and it'll link right up.  Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help!

- Matt

How do you go about picking  the non 5G network? 

How do you go about picking  the non 5G network? 
5G as in new cell 5G beta network. I don't think we have that in Portland yet.

Maybe you meant wifi 5ghz vs 2.4ghz. If you wifi router supports dual band, then you can have both 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifi signals. Depending on it's setup, they could have different SSID or same SSID. I recommend naming they differently so you can choose which wifi to connect to.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

On 3/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, danlu_gt said:

5G as in new cell 5G beta network. I don't think we have that in Portland yet.

Maybe you meant wifi 5ghz vs 2.4ghz. If you wifi router supports dual band, then you can have both 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifi signals. Depending on it's setup, they could have different SSID or same SSID. I recommend naming they differently so you can choose which wifi to connect to.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Daniel I was thinking it was my router as well.  I actually had to call xfinity to fix my router and make my 2.4g signal recognzable.   Once this happened it connected fine.

On 2/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, TheClark said:

Very cool!  IOT is happening and putting healthy pressure on reef controllers to stay competitive.  Love it, thanks for sharing!

PS:  I usually pull of the stainless steel jacket from the temp probe with a pair of pliers.  For me it slips right off and there is just rubber underneath.  It's one less possible source of contaminates in the tank.

I tried to pull this metal cover off with no success, it looks like it is epoxied in.  I just took a thick sandwich baggie and wrapped it up.  This should work right?

2 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

I tried to pull this metal cover off with no success, it looks like it is epoxied in.  I just took a thick sandwich baggie and wrapped it up.  This should work right?

Should be fine, as long as waterproof.  Some guys put them in the tank anyways, I am just cautious because troubleshooting reef tank problems can be maddening! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kev311 said:

I gotta say these WiFi controllers are awesome for the price, I’m planning on getting a 4 channel controller for various peices of equipment in the sump.

7f10a4241126b527a2165bcea5f49ae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only think I don't like about them is they read temp in Celsius and not Fahrenheit, at least I can't figure out how to change it.  I did order another one anyway despite the Celsius thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've moved two households over the last 3 weeks and finally coming up for air....  Glad these are working well for everyone!!!  Only feature I still want to see is an alarm on my phone when the thresholds are hit to turn on or off.  There's a log you can access through the settings up in the right but I'd like to see a pop up.

- Matt