TOO MANY ANENOMES (SUDDENLY)

mykayaknme

Please advise?

So two weeks ago hubby bought a little UV light to supplement my existing setup in a 29 Gal. Nano.

Tank critters been loving it..

Then, overnight several more anenomes showed up in the tank.

I only want one in there but don't see them coming out easily.

Should I try to sell them back to a LFS and how much if so or how do I get them out of the tank.

Hate to lose my rocks on top of it.

They are pretty but my larger tank had a glass breakage accident so this is the only one right now.

Not ready for a larger tank now.

Thank you!

a41ae7bc6ad4919e5e472c3a15754449.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your referring to the bubble tips? Sounds like the light may have spurred them to split. I’m sure people on here would buy them from you, myself included. Depending on what kind they are (and size) and the general interest when listing them for sale they go anywhere from $20-60 each for the more standard ones.

as far as removal, there are many methods, usually revolving around making the nem close up and let its foot release. Some use ice cubes, others just slowly keep prying (gently) under the foot until it eventually comes loose. You can float them in the tank in a Tupperware with holes or a basket to contain them until selling.

uggghh. moving nems not fun. I had to literally drill and bust the rock around some of mine to gain access to the foot.

I tried every trick i heard about. tapping on the rock, ice on the foot (news flash.. an ice cube lasts about 45 seconds in a tank) holding the rock out of the water, cussing vigourously, and talking sweetly.

you need to find the edge of the foot and rup it a little with your finger..back and forth back and forth. after a minute or two of this the edge of the foot curled up just a little bit. Then i just cut my fingernail under there and again just slowly worked it back and forth with a nice even pressure. All three of mine eventually got the idea and let go when aboit half of the foot was exposed.

I killed my largest one doing this but my two smaller ones are alive and well in their new tank.

good luck!.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I HATE REMOVING ANEMONES. Bubbletips like to get their foot wedged in a cave or crevice. The best way I've found is to lift the rock above the water and flip it so the tips of the nems tentacles dangle in the surface of the water. Then rub the edge of the foot till it starts to lift, then gently wedge your thumb between the rock and the foot, and just continue gently massaging it and it will drop off. I've never lost a nem that way, and they usually seem the least stressed as well. Good luck! 

To me this splitting of your nems sounds like  a water quality issue. They will usually keep splitting to insure there survival. Just my thoughts on this.
Hi
All my levels are good no Amonnoa etc.
They staryed splitting when we put the light in. All seem Happy. They all are "Bubbling" most of the time now which is something I couldn't get them to do before.
First thing I did was check the water though.

Thank you, [emoji6]

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

To me this splitting of your nems sounds like  a water quality issue. They will usually keep splitting to insure there survival. Just my thoughts on this.

I've also noticed overfeeding, and light changes like the one present can cause them to split more. As far as I'm aware anemones still contain zooxanthellae and typically grow the most contained when they've only got so much light energy that can actually be used to grow. The additional uv could have very well allowed the anemones to feel comfortable enough to reproduce. Well, aleast that's my thoughts on why it's splitting.

I'd assume so. If it was doing well before for an extended period of time, and no abnormal changes to the tank aside from the light were made, that's all it could be right? Uv is what promotes zooxanthellae growth the most, and just adding it would definitely shock anything that uses that particular spectrum of light. When I added my 2 blue t5s on my tank within a few days I went from 4 anemones to 7, some sps temporarily lost a little color, but my lps just perked up more. Even with a slow acclimation process. Now that everything has adjusted to a constant light schedule coral colors and polyp extension have never been better. 

• Like 2

Your referring to the bubble tips? Sounds like the light may have spurred them to split. I’m sure people on here would buy them from you, myself included. Depending on what kind they are (and size) and the general interest when listing them for sale they go anywhere from $20-60 each for the more standard ones.

as far as removal, there are many methods, usually revolving around making the nem close up and let its foot release. Some use ice cubes, others just slowly keep prying (gently) under the foot until it eventually comes loose. You can float them in the tank in a Tupperware with holes or a basket to contain them until selling.
Oh good idea (the tupperware) i was wondering how to go about that.
Thank you!

I've also noticed overfeeding, and light changes like the one present can cause them to split more. As far as I'm aware anemones still contain zooxanthellae and typically grow the most contained when they've only got so much light energy that can actually be used to grow. The additional uv could have very well allowed the anemones to feel comfortable enough to reproduce. Well, aleast that's my thoughts on why it's splitting.
Hmm interesting. I hate to tale the lighting down everything else seems to love it but I dont need a bunch of Anenomes . Course it does help justify a new larger tank sooner rather than later.. lol