Red Sea Reefer 350 build

Zotalpha

I picked up a Reefer 350 today

IMG_0241.JPG

I’m reusing most of the equipment off of my old tank.

Equipment-

Tank- Red Sea Reefer 350

Return- Eheim COMPACTON 3000

Heater- 300W Eheim Jager

Skimmer- Reef octopus classic 150int 6”

Controller- Reef keeper light

Lights- to be determined, I love my ATI but it’s only 24”. I really don’t want to drop the cash on a new fixture. so I was thinking about that in the center with a kessil a160 on each side... I would only have to get ahold of one kessil. Thought?

Livestock -

Fish - I don’t have a long list here.

Purple tang

Flame hawk

Maybe a snowflake eel

Some other stuff

Coral

Mostly going to be Zoas, Euphyllia and Some “easy” SPS.

I’m thinking about going bare bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Zotalpha said:

I’m starting to second guess my decision to go bare bottom. Not because of the look but rather because of the risk of falling rocks. Has anybody ever had an issue with this?

I was getting cyano in my Red Sea so I eventually sucked all the sand out. I would recommend reconsidering for a few reasons that I didn’t think about:

The rock was not as stable piled on smooth glass so it could have easily been knocked over compared to rock on sand or egg crate where it has something to grab on to and just like what you said every now and then when I was working on the tank and a rock would slip a bit , I didn’t like the sound it made.  Also scraping coralline and algae off the bottom of the tank is not fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Bottom plates are tempered so you're not going to break it with falling rocks.  I personally really like having a deep sand bed.  

I was more worried about scratches but tempered glass can break. I have seen many a child who has broken through the glass coffee table.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrsBret said:

Yay, I've always wanted a unicorn tank!

hahaha, I though about taking another picture... But then I figure this would be more fun. 

11 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Great start so far!  That's a nice sized tank!!  Where's the water, the suspense is killing me.

lesson number two from my last tank- Take your time... 

lesson number one - Never ever go out of town. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I’m starting to second guess my decision to go bare bottom. Not because of the look but rather because of the risk of falling rocks. Has anybody ever had an issue with this?

I’m late to this conversation but I’ve read some pro reefers use Starboard to protect their tank from falling rock.

• 9 months later...