Reef Room - Drain?

TheClark

So I am working on this reef room, in the planning stage.

The room is in the back of a tandem garage.  I was thinking about cutting a hole in the slab and adding a sump pump basin for a drain.  There is some slope towards the front of the garage.

However, the thought of cutting concrete (again, did allot of it in the basement), is not appealing.

So I ran across the waterbug.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LRUDUU/ref=asc_df_B018LRUDUU5380389/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B018LRUDUU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198097979185&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1143113920406932196&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033585&hvtargid=pla-350134889254

81cuAe44+eL._SL1500_.jpg

In the unlikely event I do get a flood, the walls and floor are already waterproof.  The water would be contained.  

I could fire up the water bug at the low spot in the room, and clean mostly everything right up.

Seems like a win right?  No need to cut concrete...

As much as I want a really cool room build, I don't want to spend 2 more years working on it :unsure:

Thoughts?  Anyone ever use one of these?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sailingeric said:

I too have my SW tank and a 55 gallon FW tank for my two now large 14 cents gold fish that live in the garage/ soon to be mancave space and the pump is a good idea but like your garage it has a slope, so wouldn't gravity take care of any flood?? At least that is what I am counting on. 

Thanks, yes, gravity will get the water to the front of the room (there will be a wall separating this room from the rest of garage).  I would like to stop it at the room boundaries.

And congrats on 14 cent goldfish, been there :D

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sailingeric said:

I have been waivering on putting a wall up too. Sheet rock would be cheaper than cutting concrete and pump for the flood that may never happen??

Yes!  That's what I am thinking.  Pretty easy to swap out some sheetrock worst case.  The water bug could be apex activated, if water hit 1/2" it would fire up.