So started testing frequently about a month ago (use to just test when things were going wrong which is what started this and trying to get into the habit of regular testing) and my alk, calcium and PH have all been stable (11dkh, 440 ppm, and 8.2) but my nitrates seem to be staying at 80 ppm... I have done 60 gallon water change (tank is a 180gal), started carbon dosing (doing 5mL 2x a day) and upgraded the protein skimmer to a bubble magus curve 7, but my nitrates are staying at 80 ppm... Any ideas would be helpful cause im running out of ideas on how I could lower them... Also have about a 4 gallon refugium. 

Im using API tests for all 4 parameters, I also tested my RODI water for top off and water changes and that was reading 0 ppm.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamburgb said:

Also have about a 4 gallon refugium. 

What are you using that makes it a Refugium? With only 4 Gallons sounds like a very cramped sump. If that's the case I would increase the size and for the quickest solution I would throw some Macroalgae like cheato in there.

I have hanna Testers for ALK and CA but not nitrates (not sure if they even have one for nitrates) and the API were right inline with those so i figured I would be ok with the nitrate but thats something I was thinking as well is maybe its the test kit. I may try to get a Salifert one. I'll pull out some cheato right now and hope that helps.

Get salifert kit

if you want nitrates to go down quickly, only a water change will do that

carbon dosing with nopox took months to make a change in my system and it was only a small effect (nitrate from 5 to 1)

maybe look at a better light for refugium. Not sure what you are using

not feeding fish for 5 days won’t make a difference. Lighter feeding over months will slow down nitrate build up but won’t really make it go down 

3 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

Get salifert kit

if you want nitrates to go down quickly, only a water change will do that

carbon dosing with nopox took months to make a change in my system and it was only a small effect (nitrate from 5 to 1)

maybe look at a better light for refugium. Not sure what you are using

not feeding fish for 5 days won’t make a difference. Lighter feeding over months will slow down nitrate build up but won’t really make it go down 

Ya i think ill pick up an additional test to run it. I guess I was just thinking that by doing 60+ gallon water change that my nitrates would have went down a little bit on that test. As for the refugium light I am running a cheaper white led, it seems to grow the cheato pretty well.  

A 30% water change will lower your nitrates by 30% unless there are nitrates in your rodi water (chloramine). Or your test kit is bad. Easy way to know is mix couple mls of 50% tank water and 50% rodi. Then test nitrate to see if they come down by 50%. If it doesn’t then your test kit is bad

Edited by Manny Tavan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, stylaster said:

Also if you want to bring nitrates down you can use a denitrator brick.  I use the brightwell xport no3 brick seeded with their microbactr7 product.  This brought my 25ppm nitrates in roughly 500 gallon system down to 0 in a little over a week.  

I’ve been reading up on those, how long do they seem to last a lot of the things I have read say that after 2-3 weeks they became a pile of mush that you have to fish out of the water.