New ReeFi LED product in prototype and testing phase

danlu_gt

I'm super excited about this new ReeFi product line.  I've finished designing the prototype board and have send it off to get it made.  Once testing is completed, I will work with manufactures to get it mass produced.  No more sweat shop from my garage.  haha

Here are some sneak preview on specs...

• More unique spectrums - same old favorites plus new requests.
  • Every spectrum diodes can be controlled, no more grouping color spectrums.
  • WiFi controlled and possibly Bluetooth as well.
  • Either regular display or touch display.
  • More max power for larger and deeper tanks.
  • Multiple light sources to combat shadowing.
  • Modern sleek look.
  • Sensors to notify when it's time to clean off the fan dust for optimal performance.

http://www.reefi-lab.com/index.php/2018/02/16/new-reefi-led-products-design-completed-prototyping-and-testing-now/

phototype_PCB_led_sm.JPG

• Like 6

Exciting!  Are you planning any new profiles or sticking with the round pendant's only?  Would love to see some different shaped arrays for more coverage options (although that can obviously get tricky).
Spoke with daniel a tad bit at the TPA meeting. He mentioned a couple different designs. One of which, will be slimmer and more sleek looking, kinda like the black boxes, but I'm not for sure. Other design would be similar to the first but with expandable sides for more coverage. Now, I could be totally wrong with everything, its been a while since the meeting [emoji16].

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! [emoji481]

They will be sleeker flat design.  Personally, I like the pendant look when hanging my lights above the tank without canopy.  As Dodge mentioned, I will have a couple different new models.  I would like the largest model to have 3 sections which could be expandable but I'm a bit worry about wear and tear of the electrical cables when forced in a confine space.  I will release the fixed models first then spend time finding materials and testing cable harness.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

They will be sleeker flat design.  Personally, I like the pendant look when hanging my lights above the tank without canopy.  As Dodge mentioned, I will have a couple different new models.  I would like the largest model to have 3 sections which could be expandable but I'm a bit worry about wear and tear of the electrical cables when forced in a confine space.  I will release the fixed models first then spend time finding materials and testing cable harness.

Cool! So you will possibly also have a pendant model with the new spectrum? I love the pendants too, so I would be excited about a pendant with the new spectrum that you have been talking about.

3 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Cool! So you will possibly also have a pendant model with the new spectrum? I love the pendants too, so I would be excited about a pendant with the new spectrum that you have been talking about.

Is it going to be a spectrum similar to what you have on your Red Sea Andy? Because I loved that combination.

I hope so because I would be finally be willing to switch from my T-5s with the right color spectrum.  [mention=12985]danlu_gt[/mention] spill it already ![emoji6]
For now, I'm thinking the following spectrum:

395nm
410nm
430nm
450nm
470nm
Lime
Amber
Red
White

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, danlu_gt said:

For now, I'm thinking the following spectrum:

395nm
410nm
430nm
450nm
470nm
Lime
Amber
Red
White

I am most excited about the 430 nm, 450 nm, 470 nm, Lime, and White. These are the LEDs on my system, and the color is fantastic!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've changed the design to increase the number of LEDs by 20%.  I just finished a 3D mock up of how it would look.   The initial height is around 3.25", but I'll need to finalize with heatsink manufacturer if I can go thinner and still dissipate enough heat.

I have sourced the power supply bricks.  I went with more pricier ones that have 95+% power efficiency (less carbon foot print when we power these LEDs).

Here's my 3D mock up.  I didn't show the mounting points on top.  I'm thinking of using glossy black plastic shell and frosted glass panels to cover the LEDs.  Let me know what you guys think.

Daniel

ReeFi-LED2.jpg

• Like 4

What are you thinking about for lens on the LEDs?  Any idea what the dispersion/coverage footprint will look like?  Really excited to see thee up and running!
I might have a lens addon option for people with tanks deeper than 24". My current ReeFi Pendant (150W) without lens can get 150+PAR at the bottom of 24". With frost glass cover, there will be some PAR lost, but this model is at 200W plus I'm using Cree Xp-e2 vs Xp-e. Xp-e2 is up to 20% brighter at same wattage. I estimate this model is about 60% brighter the pendant version.

With great power comes great responsibility.. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So each LED diodes have an about 120degs spread. Lenses are good to focus the light down to more narrower spread like 90degs or even 60degs. This way manufacturers can use less led diodes to achieve high PAR at 12"-24" deep. However, you will get more disco lighting effect.

One of my main concern is light bleed without canopy. I think adding a shadow reflector between the LEDs and frost glass will prevent blinding light bleed when mounted at proper height.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I am trying very hard to bring top of the line specs at very competitive price.  Just found out the trade war with China is on... 25% tariff!  Just about to work out all the production issues and now this.  [language filter]!  😡 

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/news/economy/china-tariffs/index.html

Sorry for my rant...

Bummer. I'll bet this could affect the prices of a lot of reefing products...

9 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I am trying very hard to bring top of the line specs at very competitive price.  Just found out the trade war with China is on... 25% tariff!  Just about to work out all the production issues and now this.  [language filter]!  😡 

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/news/economy/china-tariffs/index.html

Sorry for my rant...

Ouch!  That is a complete bummer. Likely to be the tip of the iceberg as well. Hope you can still make it pencil out after all the design work. 

2 hours ago, TheClark said:

Yes, bummer if you manufacture in China :)  

I am one of those guys who will pay a bit more for US made goods.  Avast Marine is a good example.

I certainly don't want to derail this thread though hehehe

If Avast Marine made LED lights they would have some components made in China, even if they were assembled here. It’s the way the world works nowadays.

43 minutes ago, Lexinverts said:

If Avast Marine made LED lights they would have some components made in China, even if they were assembled here. It’s the way the world works nowadays.

Truth!  My trolling is complete.  Thanks for taking it easy on me, debates are generally for facebook 😎

Now back to the topic, sorry @danlu_gt

The bulk of the cost is the LEDs and components.  Even just importing just the LEDs and components in the USA for assembling will still incur the 25% tariff on the bulk of the cost.  Plastic injection is all done by machine, so cost difference is very little if those parts are made in China or USA, but if made in China I can use some recycled plastic vs 100% virgin plastic to be more eco-friendly.  We send most of our recycled plastic oversea.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been redesigning to make it more slim which require custom heatsink cooling solution.  At the same time, hard to keep the cost down with custom parts.  These couple months, I've been redesigning over and over again to keep cost down and keep the profile slim.  I've gone through 5 completely different PCB designs and several heat solution designs.  I think I'm getting close.  What do you guys think of plastic enclosure with full glass bottom?  This would be closest to MacBook/Surface Pro look with uni-body.  I play with the idea of uni-body aluminum but the cost is way too prohibiting.  Other option is to use metal enclosure but will have exposed screws and seams.

Also, what are you guys take on light spillage?  Personal, I hate light spillage but I also like to hang my lights high up for easier access to inside the tank.  I've design a parabola lens for each individual LEDs but this will increase the overall height by 10-12mm.

This is my latest mock up.

Daniel

reefi_mockup.jpg

• Like 6