Freshwater peeps?

Lovesalt

I have a 75 gal planted, pressurized CO2 setup. It's been going for just over 7 years. I've had all the same fish for just as long. It's survived three moves.

I don't really do anything to it except dump some fertilizer in there every so often when the thought crosses my mind. 50 percent water change every couple months. It's mostly an overgrown jungle of low light plants these days. I have used some of the same bulbs in my T8 and T5 fixtures for like 5 years, maybe more. Haha. I have like 3 square feet of Anubias and a bunch of dwarf sag. A few other things I'm sure.

As much as my reef tank dominates my attention, I'd be devastated if something happened to the fresh water. What's crazy is I've used the exact same Hydor inline heater for these 7 years. It hasn't missed a beat. I'm a little nervous it'll cook my fish one day when it goes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i have "the frat house" which is a 240g african cichlid tank and the wife has a 10 gallon pea puffer tank.

i used to have plants in the frat house but just like a frat house, they destroyed them so I took them out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So are all the cichlids from the previous tanks in the 240?  That must be fun!

I have a 75 gal planted, pressurized CO2 setup. It's been going for just over 7 years. I've had all the same fish for just as long. It's survived three moves.

I don't really do anything to it except dump some fertilizer in there every so often when the thought crosses my mind. 50 percent water change every couple months. It's mostly an overgrown jungle of low light plants these days. I have used some of the same bulbs in my T8 and T5 fixtures for like 5 years, maybe more. Haha. I have like 3 square feet of Anubias and a bunch of dwarf sag. A few other things I'm sure.

As much as my reef tank dominates my attention, I'd be devastated if something happened to the fresh water. What's crazy is I've used the exact same Hydor inline heater for these 7 years. It hasn't missed a beat. I'm a little nervous it'll cook my fish one day when it goes.

Just on cue. My wife texted me and said one of my fish jumped out of the tank today. She was in the room and was able to quickly get it back in. Whew!!

I have 7 Roseline sharks and it was one of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

Just on cue. My wife texted me and said one of my fish jumped out of the tank today. She was in the room and was able to quickly get it back in. Whew!!

I have 7 Roseline sharks and it was one of them.

Well at least she was there to save it. Crazy timing though!

• Like 1

I started a 55 Gallon Planted aquarium last year and quickly realized I suck at it :) I find it to be more difficult than salt,  but was intended to be a low tech low maintenance system, turned out to be a disaster. I intend to add a fully automatic Co2 system to the tank, swap the substrate and rebuild.

I started a 55 Gallon Planted aquarium last year and quickly realized I suck at it [emoji4] I find it to be more difficult than salt,  but was intended to be a low tech low maintenance system, turned out to be a disaster. I intend to add a fully automatic Co2 system to the tank, swap the substrate and rebuild.

Oh nooo
I just started a planted tank thinking it will be super easy [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omg. planted tanks are the polar opposite of easy.

talk about maintenance!!

Oh nooo
I just started a planted tank thinking it will be super easy [emoji15]

I definitely wouldn't say they have to be difficult. It's all about how much you want to do. Just like nearly everyone can have a softy tank with little to no maintenance, so too can people have basic planted tanks. If you want to go super intense with it, then yes, you can introduce a whole lot of maintenance. Not so much cleaning and equipment maintenance, but you'll have to keep the plants trimmed and keep them in their respective places.

Check out some work with the Dutch Method, or look up the work of Amano if you want to see how far you can take it. Or you can throw some low light plants in a tank, slap a light on there, and call it a day.

• Like 2

well, i tried to make one of those amazing aquascapes like you see on the internet. All i managed to make was a big mess. lol.
I was constantly trimming and accidentally ripping plants out. Maybe my hands are too big for a planted tank??

They can be super duper cool if you are good at it.

well, i tried to make one of those amazing aquascapes like you see on the internet. All i managed to make was a big mess. lol.
I was constantly trimming and accidentally ripping plants out. Maybe my hands are too big for a planted tank??

They can be super duper cool if you are good at it.

Gunna tryyyy

I have been a long time planted aquarium keeper and I had a reef 8 years back with mixed results. I think it is safe to say that both types of aquariums can be tricky. 

I am super excited because I am going to give the reef another go and I just ordered a 140 gallon tank form Envision Acrylics.

Here is a pic of my current planted tank. This version of the tank went through a year of total fail until I got my act together. It is all about CO2, a simple splash of fertilizer and iron from a bottle almost daily, and water changes with light gravel cleaning. Once the plants hit a certain point it gets a lot easier to manage but it can get ugly fast.

Full blown reef tanks are far more complicated for all the reasons everyone knows. If a planted tank goes bad it is not a big deal to replant from zero. If a three year + reef tank has a problem starting over is an entirely different thing.

planted-2-21-2018.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...