Frogs...

Flash21

After the countless hours and days thinking what our daughter would like for her bday...we asked her.  She says something nature and green.  I said oh I know what that means to an 8yr old.  

She is not a toy kid.  She loves her pets and is spoiled! 

So so here’s the new additions to our Zoo.  

Yellow Black and A Blue Black.

If anyone has information or tips please share.  

C3D96F99-FC08-41AE-B075-60688921F83C.jpeg

EFFFE1C1-1154-423A-92FE-F86A418237AF.jpeg

7267A728-DBC8-4699-A7C5-9F0591687A6F.jpeg

16EB7785-37CD-4670-BCA3-4BCBF45324E8.jpeg

DCB55E40-091F-44F6-9B7F-0FE491D18A0F.jpeg

DFB1E25C-6259-4994-8BAB-A6CD0AE4A28D.jpeg

• Like 6

Cool!  There was someone on the forum who had several different types of poison dart frogs but can't recall their handle.  They sold them off so may have been moving.  If I recall correctly, they indicated that one of the keys was keeping live drosophila (fruit flies) in supply for their food.

1 minute ago, albertareef said:

Cool!  There was someone on the forum who had several different types of poison dart frogs but can't recall their handle.  They sold them off so may have been moving.  If I recall correctly, they indicated that one of the keys was keeping live drosophila (fruit flies) in supply for their food.

I do recall those. Wife and I have done quite some research before buying.  The last Year or so we have wanted them.  

Flightless Fruit Flies are in there habitat.  There’s 3-4 different kind of foods they can have...But recommend Flies 90% of the time. 

4 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

That's so awesome!  Are there any dangers to owning those?  

According to this http://www.understoryenterprises.com/toxicity-of-poison-dart-frogs - no.  Sounds like other than the hassle of keeping live food they are pretty neat pets.  Pets on Broadway here in PDX generally has them available - have seen and admired them there often.

As far as there food...it won’t be to bad.  By far Tropical Hut is the cheapest for food a huge container for 11$. Locally that is.  I see online you can start your own cultural kits for 40$ or so that will start 10 culturals. At one point we may do that.  For now we bought two big containers...so we can switch them out as they reproduce.  

Very cool! I was the frog guy haha. Yes I fed almost exclusively melanogaster. I used repashy products. Fly media and calcium plus to dust the flies. Great for colors and conditioning to breed (although you don't want to breed mixed species, they will hybridize, which is frowned upon)

Dendroboard is a great forum. It's like reefcentral. 

Let me know if you have any questions. I had both those species. Azureus (blue) and leucomelas (yellow)

Edited by MVPaquatics
  • Like 3

Thanks MVP!

Springtails ok to fed them? I’m not planning to breed them just wanted the daughter to have some frogs as long as they get along? We were waiting to put one more in there but not sure if three is suitable for a 10 gallon? 

Curious how many times a day we should be misting tank? Usually I mist 4 times a day...is this too much? 

What would you recommend for lighting? We have a Led or is this to bright? 

Springtails are fine to feed but not as a sole food source. Make sure to dust the flies before feeding them. I recommend repashy plus. 

Frogs are more outgoing when there are more of them. A frog alone is rarely seen as they feel threatened. Competition is good to get them out. Azureus females can be aggressive so wait and see if they blue one gets mean. They will literally get on top of subordinates and push them into the soil. Females get 1/3 larger than males. Males have very wide toe pads. 10 gallon may support another frog. Watch for aggression and increase plants and hiding spots. It sounds backwards but the more hiding spots you have the more you will see your frogs. They will feel secure. 

I only misted once a day. But it depends how much you mist at a time and how the tank is built. Keep it humid not wet. Temps are key. Cold is bad. Hot is bad. 70s is good. 

Frogs don't care about lighting. Plants do. I just 6500k compact fluorescents because they provided some heat. LEDs are fine if the plants approve. 

• Like 1

Daughters Bday officially is on the 21st you know where to find me.  🙄 crap did I say that? 

48 minutes ago, spectra said:

Where's the turtle at ? :popcorn:

Should have got the 20 also.................more frogs that way ;)

Edited by Flash21
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Flash21 said:

Daughters Bday officially is on the 21st you know where to find me.  🙄 crap did I say that? 

Well that's during the week so your safe I don't venture out of WA then............................but the weekend well :shock: