Clear pvc cement

Bicyclebill

Wow, I’m embarrassed to say that today was the day that I learned that pvc glue doesn’t have to be blue. After skimping with application of the blue stuff to avoid poor aesthetics, I had leaks. Needless to say, my new plumbing project with clear cement looks very clean!63b0952be71c88308c068299a9c1b6b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, if you're using white off, clear is definitely the way to go for aesthetic purposes, though I strongly urge people to still use primer. You can get that in clear as well and makes for far better bonds. As we have a lot of vibration in our systems and tend to bang the pipes now and then working around our tanks, the primer creates a much stronger bond resulting in fewer leaks. I'd much rather do the plumbing right the first time than deal with the mess later...😲

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

That is a really interesting link xmas - thanks for sharing.  I typically don't use primer simply for ease of application/assembly as I don't have to do as many steps and can be sure to get things together before they start to dry.  Also, I would typically not deadhead any of my supply lines and hence am not applying much hydrostatic pressure in an aquarium application.  Couple of thoughts come to mind with the article.  One, which they mention, is that they did not test hydrostatic pressure.  I could imagine a case could be made that the primer may help flow the "cement" and provide a better chance of a gap-free bond... which might not show up with the strength tests but could with a water penetration test.  Also, such things as vibration or hammering could potentially reveal a practical difference.  That said, the evidence presented argues for it not being a necessary step for most of the cements used.  Interesting...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 3:45 PM, albertareef said:

That is a really interesting link xmas - thanks for sharing.  I typically don't use primer simply for ease of application/assembly as I don't have to do as many steps and can be sure to get things together before they start to dry.  Also, I would typically not deadhead any of my supply lines and hence am not applying much hydrostatic pressure in an aquarium application.  Couple of thoughts come to mind with the article.  One, which they mention, is that they did not test hydrostatic pressure.  I could imagine a case could be made that the primer may help flow the "cement" and provide a better chance of a gap-free bond... which might not show up with the strength tests but could with a water penetration test.  Also, such things as vibration or hammering could potentially reveal a practical difference.  That said, the evidence presented argues for it not being a necessary step for most of the cements used.  Interesting...

Agreed!  It would have been interesting to put water in those pipes and see when they first leaked....  Since that is more what we as reef people are after..

Still very interesting.

guys, guys ,guys, its not about making the plumbing look clean, its about wrecking your $160 jeans and carpeting.

While I am sure a clear primer and glue combo could still wreck your clothing, you won't get the same DIY satisfaction that comes with going out to dinner with blue glue all over your hands.

If they made a spill proof can of PVC... now that would be an improvement. Not that i have ever in my life spilled a whole can of pvc glue in my life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1