phosgard cloudy water

featherblue

My po4 has been climbing in my newly cycled nano, so I soaked and rinsed phosgard. This was on wed last week. Tank super cloudy Thursday morning. Immediately removed phosgard and added filter floss to a fresh 100 micron felt sock. Water was still super cloudy Thursday, so I did a 13g wc (about 50%), and kept changing out sock with floss.
The level of cloudiness reduced, you could see all the rockwork again. Skimmer settled down so I could turn it back on.

Last night I changed out the filter sock again, and I noticed the skimmer going crazy afterwards. This morning I'm back to super cloudy, as bad as the first morning with the phosgard.

How can I get this horrid dust out of my system!? Is It still the phosgard? Did a few tests yesterday,
kh 10.4
mg 1600
ca 450
no3 8

new tanks will see a cloudy water event due to a bacterial bloom but it is typically in the first week or so.

while filter socks are good, they wont do anything for bacteria.

Honestly, i would just sit tight for a couple days. Bacteria multiply very very very rapidly. They will multiply, consume what they are consuming, and then die off leaving your water clear.

I would not do a water change as you did one and it didnt help. Skimmer going crazy is usually an impurity (soap, oil,etc) or large amounts of organics.

If you have some carbon i would throw a bag of that in a sock. Carbon is pretty good at absorbing a wide range of pollutants. Likely more so than purigen but that is just a hunch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, featherblue said:

Any way to tell for sure it's bacteria?

Will another big water change help or make it worse?

My skimmer is running crazy currently. Should I try to raise it, or turn it off for now?

yes, stick a paper towel in the tank swish it around and pull it out, if there is green or brown residue its an algae bloom otherwise most likely bacteria.

Water change will appear to make it worse and wont fix the issue at all so dont waste time on that.

Keep your skimmer running to pull excess crap you said your phosphates were off the charts. The main issue is you don't have enough beneficial bacteria in the tank to properly consume the crap thats going in. If you don't have much surface area, add some more and throw some purigen into the tank, and cut back on feeding, focus on lowering the phosphates and macro algae wont hurt either. Then be patient and it will clear. I have seen them last anywhere from a couple days to 6 months.

Thanks for the input!
Skimmer is dialed down and no longer over flowing, thou it's skimming wet at this point.
Phosphates tested at 0.08 with a red sea kit, nitrates tested 10ppm with a saliferr.
Added purigen to a clean filter sock, hopefully with the new skimmer finally broken in, it's going to reduce nutrients in the water collum.

1 hour ago, featherblue said:

Thanks for the input!
Skimmer is dialed down and no longer over flowing, thou it's skimming wet at this point.
Phosphates tested at 0.08 with a red sea kit, nitrates tested 10ppm with a saliferr.
Added purigen to a clean filter sock, hopefully with the new skimmer finally broken in, it's going to reduce nutrients in the water collum.

.08 ? Ok that is a hell of a lot better than the 8 in your 1st post!!! :D