Refugium light

lewisriverfisherman

I have a 20gal Nuvo Fusion  tank. I want to put cheato in one of the compartments but don't want to cut the back film  off to put a fuge light with magnets on the back. I want to get a light to put on top of the overflow compartment that is approximately 4" by 4". Do any of you have any suggestions of what led light might work for this?  Of course a reasonable price. I found a Betts led light on Amazon for $10 it's 4"x6" that might work but can't figure out how to post a link here. Not to tech savv here lol. Thanks for your help.

I learned from BRS that chaeto likes ALLOT of light.  Thanks to that video series, I have a small compartment that grows chaeto by the garbage bag full.  It is lit using 2 D120 LEDs over a space about the size of 2 D120s.  They are both turned up to 100%.  It is far brighter than the brightest spot in the reef tank.  Seems to work really well.

So you want something quite bright for sure.

For your sized area, maybe something like this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Gooseneck-Greenhouse-Hydroponics-Gardening/dp/B0773NFQ8Y/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1517891821&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=grow+light&psc=1

I use these bulbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFWK69Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2E5M81LKTPRKK&colid=IOGAP1RD998Y&psc=0 with good success and would recommend. But any sort of LED grow light bulb with a simple socket will probably be your best bet for a 4"x4" area. If you are unsure how to mound the socket a standard socket will fit more or less inside a 1.25" PVC pipe if you build a little PVS frame, spray painted it black, and put a dab of glue inside the pipe to secure the socket it would look cleaner than getting that cheap clip on reflectors. And also would be a lot smaller. Not sure how much space you are working with or if it is going to be concealed. Or how much you even care about the look of it at the end. 

Another option, depending on how deep would get a few of those cheap submersible bars to place inside the cheato area itself. Or maybe mount the 20W ish light at the top, and place a 10W led bar for a combined super Cheato grow chamber. 

• Like 1