Acro comeback

danlu_gt

About a year ago, I lost most of my acros when I was over dipping my corals to kill black bugs. At the time I wasn't 100% sure if I got rid of the black bugs and figured I'll just wait till all my acros are dead and start over. From my tests, it takes about 2 weeks for black bugs to strave to death. I also added a few yellow wrasses to help with natural solution. After losing so many expensive acros, I stopped focusing on my water parameters. Whatever acros I had left started to die back. Couple months ago, I noticed my Montiporas are spreading like crazy and some of acros still have a couple polpys here and there. I miss not having large acro colonies in my tank and I told myself I won't buy anymore acros until I see these start to grow again. I started testing for ALK multiple times a week instead of once every month or two. I'm seeing some comeback. Still a lot of dead skeleton from before, so it'll take a couple more months to hopefully cover up.

345a80d9c42540da79003911fb016a8f.jpg3a022ac9622a86c89241985ca4993a3d.jpg397583e890dfb0d19e86b70bf6f9958f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

About a year ago, I lost most of my acros when I was over dipping my corals to kill black bugs. At the time I wasn't 100% sure if I got rid of the black bugs and figured I'll just wait till all my acros are dead and start over. From my tests, it takes about 2 weeks for black bugs to strave to death. I also added a few yellow wrasses to help with natural solution. After losing so many expensive acros, I stopped focusing on my water parameters. Whatever acros I had left started to die back. Couple months ago, I noticed my Montiporas are spreading like crazy and some of acros still have a couple polpys here and there. I miss not having large acro colonies in my tank and I told myself I won't buy anymore acros until I see these start to grow again. I started testing for ALK multiple times a week instead of once every month or two. I'm seeing some comeback. Still a lot of dead skeleton from before, so it'll take a couple more months to hopefully cover up.

345a80d9c42540da79003911fb016a8f.jpg3a022ac9622a86c89241985ca4993a3d.jpg397583e890dfb0d19e86b70bf6f9958f.jpg

Very nice, Daniel!
Glad they're making a comeback!

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! [emoji481]

Glad to hear things are making a comeback!  Was just talking to Sharklover at TPA last weekend about how many of what he thought were completely dead corals have come back for him after just putting the "skeletons" aside for a while.  Guess there is sometimes more hope than we think... just wish we didn't need to rely on it so often :sad:

Did you find a solution that actually killed the black bugs?

It’s good to hear you can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally [emoji4]
It might be the train [emoji4] jk! 
Glad your tank is stable now Daniel! Im curious if you found any solution for those black bugs as well!
If I dip in super strong potassium chloride (over 6000ppm) will kill the black bugs but corals can only survive about 15sec. Haha

Black bugs don't seem to cling on to the acros very tightly. I find I can blast most of all off with turkey baster. I did that a few days then got 3 yellow wrasses and was prepared to let all my acros die. With most acros gone, I think the wrasses were able to pick off the ones that haven't straved to death.

From what I can tell, black bugs only eats acroporas. My Montiporas and LPS were not affected.

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

Where have you gotten it?  Seems like a hassle to source. 

I just looked back at the place I bought it from online (in 2014 lol!) and their site now says they won’t ship to US anymore. It was a weird thing when I bought it where they shipped from out of the US so you didn’t need an Rx. The newer version is called Interceptor Spectrum. It was one of the easiest pest treatments I’ve ever used. Literally grind up the pill, put in tank, leave for a few days and do a water change. bAM red bugs gone!