badxgillen

February 2018 Meet Frag Swap

As requested, a thread starter for a Frag Swap at our February 2018 Meeting at Stylaster's, I used my own previous template, so if it looks familiar...It is.

Being a meet and greet type of gathering it seems like it would be a good time to get the old coral trades going on.

If you would like, you can do your trading on the fly by just bringing by a few pieces and hoping that some one will have a desirable coral you want...Or better yet, you can post up what you have to trade and work out a preemptive exchange here on the forums, that method always works best for me. You can feel free to use this thread to post your trade-ables in or start a thread of your own.

But First, let me get you some of Bert's basis tips for success here.

1.) make an attempt to have a fragment of reasonable size and health and try and get things cut and ready a few days to a week ahead of time to have the wounds healed up for the exchange. And double/triple check for pest invertebrates or algaes before sending your corals out, we try to keep invasives to a minimum here...And once you get your frags home, just in case, always acclimate the specimens then dip the corals before you put them into your personal aquarium. QT Aquariums are best but good old Revive, Coral RX, Melafix, Iodine, or Bayer will do much better at prevention than nothing.

2.) Try to package your corals appropriately. This can mean not putting a spiny coral like birds nest into a thin dollar store bag or not utilizing insulation on an extended cold or warm trip. Try a small cooler or Styrofoam. If you can't find either of these and the destination is a long distance, keep the vehicle air conditioned or heated appropriately. As far as packaging goes you can double bag and use thicker mil plastics, or something else like a Tupperware or specimen container. I have even used washed out yogurt or cottage cheese containers that stack well inside the coolers. Just use something that will work, nothing like losing a nice and colorful animal because the bag got too cold and leaked all the water out on the way home.

3.)Do your best to be courteous and fair to one another by not take advantage of each others ignorance or generosity. These are people of all levels in the hobby so give them the benefit of your knowledge and experience instead of the cold shoulder. And speaking of generosity, that giving nature has always been smiled upon here at PNWMAS and pay it forward tends comes back around these parts.

Well, the meeting is closing in fast, less than two weeks yeah.

So Let's see em folks,  Whatcha Got!? Corals that is!

Personally I have a ton of things I can cut if someone wants to ask for a general type of coral. For now here is a picture of some sweet zoas I have to cut before they attach to something they shouldn't. And I will add some things here once I can go and grab some pictures that don't suck.

SAM_4912.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not a frag, but does anyone have a use for 24W 10K T5 bulbs? I have a few unused that are collecting dust.

• Like 1

I will be bringing ALLOT of chaeto again.  Rather than throw it away!

• Like 1

Ill have a couple of frags of this to swap, show me what you got to trade in acros or cool montis

20180128_082626.jpg

• Like 2

I am looking for zoas  for my tank what do you have?  I'm also looking for recordia shrooms or any kewl shrooms.  I have cash

Edited by lewisriverfisherman

15 minutes ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

I am looking for zoas  for my tank what do you have?  I'm also looking for recordia shrooms or any kewl shrooms.  I have cash

I have a frag plug with some green blue spotted discos on it that you can have. 

I've also got a cool speckled chalice, green an pink mouthed favia, 2 teal tenius frags, and a some red pavona. Also have some green cap frags, as well as some Idaho grape chunks to trade! 

Sup sup y'all...Here's a few pieces I'll be throwing up for trade or sell:

In order:

King Midas
approx 25+ polyps $30

Sunny D's
3 polyps $15

Blue Hornets
2 polyps w/2 baby buds $20

WWC Space Monsters
5 polyps $60

Jungle Juice
apprx 15 polyps $25

Twizzlers
2 polyps $15

OG Candy Apple Reds
4 polyps w/2 baby buds $40

I will be adding more to the list as the days go on...

Possible additions:
WWC Rainbow Incinerators
Strawberry Wine
Blue Rhinos
WWC Pink Kraks
JF Asskraks
ASD Hyper Jubilees 5ae5c45bce02747151cf07a266bf33fe.jpg583e1a08b6e5c5f53540d54ed34997e7.jpgc641966488e88210bc05b140d2a4d229.jpgae66e1f1f0166f33effe413467969167.jpg03176d016f0da1d6c101b0b823447f7c.jpg0566389b98f1fd1ec26793702f3ba273.jpg0ae491ff64b1a2b0914e566567fd0a4a.jpg

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light!

4 hours ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Sup sup y'all...Here's a few pieces I'll be throwing up for trade or sell:

In order:

King Midas
approx 25+ polyps $30

Sunny D's
3 polyps $15

Blue Hornets
2 polyps w/2 baby buds $20

WWC Space Monsters
5 polyps $60

Jungle Juice
apprx 15 polyps $25

Twizzlers
2 polyps $15

OG Candy Apple Reds
4 polyps w/2 baby buds $40

I will be adding more to the list as the days go on...

Possible additions:
WWC Rainbow Incinerators
Strawberry Wine
Blue Rhinos
WWC Pink Kraks
JF Asskraks
ASD Hyper Jubilees 5ae5c45bce02747151cf07a266bf33fe.jpg583e1a08b6e5c5f53540d54ed34997e7.jpgc641966488e88210bc05b140d2a4d229.jpgae66e1f1f0166f33effe413467969167.jpg03176d016f0da1d6c101b0b823447f7c.jpg0566389b98f1fd1ec26793702f3ba273.jpg0ae491ff64b1a2b0914e566567fd0a4a.jpg

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! emoji481.png

Pm sent

Hey TalorHardy,  I didn't see you at the last meet. I brought a nice piece of tierra del fuego and the upscales microlados for our trade but I did not see a name tag in the crowd and the people I asked where not sure either. I presume you are attending this meet, maybe we can work something out for that a tenuis frag and another acro? When at a PNWMAS meeting you can usually spot me pretty easily. I am the old red skin, with odd hair, and no fashion sense. I will make sure to have my name tag visible this time around too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

Hey TalorHardy,  I didn't see you at the last meet. I brought a nice piece of tierra del fuego and the upscales microlados for our trade but I did not see a name tag in the crowd and the people I asked where not sure either. I presume you are attending this meet, maybe we can work something out for that a tenuis frag and another acro? When at a PNWMAS meeting you can usually spot me pretty easily. I am the old red skin, with odd hair, and no fashion sense. I will make sure to have my name tag visible this time around too.

I totally forgot about that! I'll get some frags curing and ready for you! 

1 hour ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Yes please may I have one.😃

You got it! 2 more available if anyone else wants them.

Unfortunately due to transportation issues, I won't be able to make it to this meeting. My apologies to anyone I worked out swapping frags with. I will reachout and pm those of you who I worked out deals with and find a way to meetup another time and place. 

• Sad 1

Well that's too bad Taylor, anybody need a tierra or a Upscales Microlados frag?

And Lewis, I got a number of zoas if you need some. Raptors Rainbows, Devils Armor, Passion Orange Guava, fire in the sky, and so many more.

SAM_2799.JPG

Love those Bat Signals.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

Well that's too bad Taylor, anybody need a tierra or a Upscales Microlados frag?

And Lewis, I got a number of zoas if you need some. Raptors Rainbows, Devils Armor, Passion Orange Guava, fire in the sky, and so many more.

SAM_2799.JPG

Love those Bat Signals.

Which are the ones in the pic Bert?  I am woefully uninformed when it comes to zoa names. 

Sorry to hear you wont make it Taylor.

These above are devils armor and to answer the other question you had very late, I was sold the initial posts zoas to me as a blueberry fields zoa...But I had blueberry fields zoanthids already so these are a morph I believe.

16 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Which are the ones in the pic Bert?  I am woefully uninformed when it comes to zoa names. 

Sorry to hear you wont make it Taylor.

It's quite unfortunate, I was really hoping to make this one. But I've got a close friend in a tough position, who's car just broke down, so I'm gonna get her car back on the road, and let her borrow my car today. Hope to make it to the next one! 

11 minutes ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

It's quite unfortunate, I was really hoping to make this one. But I've got a close friend in a tough position, who's car just broke down, so I'm gonna get her car back on the road, and let her borrow my car today. Hope to make it to the next one! 

Well that is a worthy cause.  Good luck and hope you are able to make it to the next event!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      Where does the time go? It is February already, and that means there is another upcoming PNWMAS meet. This time we have something special for you, our comedic and ingenuitive member PDXMonkeyboy has been gracious enough to host a full blown frag swap at his home in Portland Oregon! In addition to the free for all coral exchanging we will have a tank onsite to float frags and a coral sale to benefit the Tanks For Teachers program.
      This means there will be corals of all sorts, from all over, at one place! for trade, for sale, and even maybe just for free if you get that winning raffle ticket. This also means you all might want to get ready for the event by seeing what you may have to offer up and what you may be looking for to fill that empty spot in your home aquarium. I will post up one of those ever so popular Frag Trading threads here
      http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/44400-frag-swap-thread-february-2019/
      so we can keep this thread to our regular banter and various updates as they come through.
      When- February 24th 1:00 PM.
      Where- Portland Oregon 917 SW palatine street
      Parking:  There is a long looping driveway and a parking area next to the house.  You can park in the street or anywhere in the driveway.  There will likely just be shuffling when its time to go.
      Our PNWMAS club will provide some refreshments and some delectable local pizza for those who attend.  

So get those frag racks out and filled up then stay tuned, this is gonna be a good one!

• By badxgillen
      This February meet at PDXMonkeyboy's is going to be a full blown free for all frag swap, so those attending are encouraged to get some corals ready to trade in anticipation of the event. These are the general guidelines I like to recommend for these coral exchanges.
      If you would like, you can do your trading on the fly by just bringing by a few pieces and hoping that some one will have a desirable coral you want...Or better yet, you can post up what you have to trade and work out a preemptive exchange here on the forums, that method always works best for me. You can feel free to use this thread to post your trade-ables in or start a thread of your own.
      But First, let me get you some of Bert's basis tips for success here.
      1.) make an attempt to have a fragment of reasonable size and health and try and get things cut and ready a few days to a week ahead of time to have the wounds healed up for the exchange. And double/triple check for pest invertebrates or algaes before sending your corals out, we try to keep invasives to a minimum here...And once you get your frags home, just in case, always acclimate the specimens then dip the corals before you put them into your personal aquarium. QT Aquariums are best but good old Potassium Chloride, Revive, Coral RX, Melafix, Iodine, or other suitable coral dip will do much better at prevention than nothing.
      2.) Try to package your corals appropriately. This can mean not putting a spiny coral like birds nest into a thin dollar store bag or not utilizing insulation on an extended cold or warm trip. Try a small cooler or Styrofoam. If you can't find either of these and the destination is a long distance, keep the vehicle air conditioned or heated appropriately. As far as packaging goes you can double bag and use thicker mil plastics, or something else like a Tupperware or specimen container. I have even used washed out yogurt or cottage cheese containers that stack well inside the coolers. Just use something that will work, nothing like losing a nice and colorful animal because the bag got too cold and leaked all the water out on the way home.
      3.)Do your best to be courteous and fair to one another by not take advantage of each others ignorance or generosity. These are people of all levels in the hobby so give them the benefit of your knowledge and experience instead of the cold shoulder. And speaking of generosity, that giving nature has always been smiled upon here at PNWMAS and pay it forward tends comes back around these parts.

So Let's see em folks,  Whatcha Got!? Corals that is!
    • By badxgillen
      The first meet of the year of 2019 was held a the Upscales Saltwater and Reptile pet store located in Tualatin Oregon, and boy was it a riot!!!
      It had been about a year since I was last in the Upscales store and things were looking better than ever! A new back coral system that I had yet to see was full of colorful goodies, and the rest of the store was just as awesome as I always remember it. Cool corals and vibrant fish tucked into every corner of the shop, YES!
      Not just frags here in this shop but many many colonies as well. I have made a few great purchases from this store by just simply sharing the costs and breaking a colony apart. Win Win in my book right there. In fact were talking a little about an Upscales Grow Out in the future perhaps, no shortage of jewels here.

Everything was so crisp and clean, I was certainly impressed, as usual. So many corals and so little space, love how the corals each get their own little bungalows.

I couldn't help myself but to walk away with some killer coral, JeremEvans and I went in on a colony of a gold Millipora and a go at the Echinata Acropora.

Travis packing up some goodies on the right here and Kelly Limpit getting the merchandise. The Upscales team was outstanding at their job and never skipped a beat of fish netting and coral bagging fun. And believe me, there was a ton of fun.

As you can guess it didn't take long for the socializing to get started and the party to get lively. I have to point out again how organized and clean the facility was, open isles and stocked shelves were very nice. I could look at corals and dry goods all while being in a conversation with my peers.

In this pic we have far left Jeremevans our club treasurer, middle- LewisFisherman from our Board Of Directors, and right-Gumby also one of our outstanding B.O.D. Jim here always has something interesting to talk about and once again this meeting is no exception. A little coral chat with the boys I see. I will see about setting aside a couple frags of those Acros I was talking about and we will see if they color up some more. Gotta Share the Love.

Youcallmeny and his daughter sitting in the full blown 20,000 Kelvin and actinics blaring out of the surounding reef tanks. Youcallmeny is another one of our awesome PNWMAS Board Of Directors helping behind the scenes when he can.

A change of the blue actinics to back outside. Here we have ZorroReef with a few primo mushroom frags. You got me sold on looking into some of the finer shroom specimens. Now I have to save my money or break my piggy bank, for soft corals those can get pretty spendy man. And I though my Acros were costly.

One of the highlights of this meeting was that SuncrestReef here brought his microscope along with n attachment meant for holding a cell phone. This meant that you could take pictures and or video of the subjects very easily. This here is a copepod being put on the glass and under the scope.

As you can see the system worked flawlessly, the quality was very good, and allowed fro some amazing shots.

Here is the tip claw of one of the legs, our microcosm is so fascinating. I might lose a lot of my free time in a microscope unit like this if I had one, it would be like my own nature show right in my home living room.

Thank You so much for bringing this in and letting us all get a glimpse of the miniature world in the reef tanks we all own. I imagine we would be interested in another future demonstration if you would be willing Suncrestreef.

Trailerman about to take advantage of that old Upscales SPS frag special. I used to hit up this section first, but over time I developed a different route to take before hitting the Acroporas and other SPS up for grabs. Don't want to blow it all before you know what is there.

Natedawg left appearing to be jealous of the old school PNWMAS T-Shirt he doesn't have and can no longer get. Just kidding around here, kind of. Laughing about it is the very stylish Walt!...Which reminds me, we need some of those new shirts and cards for our upcoming annual Frag Fest.

Vance and his daughter up taking the serene view of all the beautiful corals, there is a lot to take in so I see why two sets of eyes are better than one.
      Once raffle time comes up people get serious...Okay, not serious, maybe a little goofy actually.

Get Your Tickets!!! BicycleBill sharing his contagious smile with everyone else in the room. One of the old school reefers that has always been generous to his fellow hobbyist. Like I said, I will get a couple other Acroporas cut for you and we will see how they do in different aquariums systems. Developing colors in ocean specimens is always exciting.

The professional rafflers here, FlashyFins and ALbertareef, top notch officers on our PNWMAS club. They both pull more weight behind the scenes than most of us will ever know, thanks you two, we appreciate it...
      And now to commence in some winning pictures.

PDXMonkeyboy wins the Seachem Gift pack with a variety of cool products. I had my eye on that and threw a couple tickets in but as they say, to the victor goes the spoils. PDXMonkeyboy and OptimusPrime here would make great sales reps for any form of goods, just look at the genuine excitement and satisfaction. Both of you two are hilarious. Far right here we have Gill&Fin trying to stay out of the camera shutter, Gotcha!

Speaking of OptimusPrime, he had a winning ticket for the mini Aquatic Life R.O. system. Those are so compact I love it, my home unit takes up a huge portion of a wall and I hate it.

Willapa winning the Gyre pumps!.. That's right, both of the pumps were won by Wilapa in the raffles fair and square. But being an amazing sport, he passed off the other Gyre back into the prize lot for another name to be drawn for the win. What a stand up guy, if you want a frag or two from my tank I can make that happen no problem, thanks for doing that man.

And here we have Flashyfins, right, handing off the generously re-prized Gyre to BOD LewisFisherman. Flashyfins is also our new Tanks For Teachers coordinator so be sure to give her a round of applause.
      All in all, as usual, it was a wonderful time. Got to meet some new folks, got to chat with some of the old crew, and snagged me some nice corals from one of my favorite reefer shops, Upscales.
      Thank you all for helping make this happen, thank you all at Upscales for hosting, and thank you all for attending and making this a fun and productive meeting. Definitely a success!
      Like I always say, our club PNWMAS ROCKS!!!

Reef on everyone!
    • By badxgillen
      Happy New Year!!!
      To kick things off in 2019 we are going to be taking a trip to one of the most old school salt water shops around, Upscales.

Known for their killer salt water fish, amazing corals, and exotic reptiles, Upscales has a little something for everyone. Join us at the end of the month for a meet and greet at one of our oldest sponsors to get your reef on. I still have my Oregon Tort and my Upscales Microlados but I am sure Travis and his crew will have a plethora of other must have corals in stock that I will be tempted to walk away with, gotta hit up those buy one get another coral half off deals. And they always have nice clams and anemones to choose from as well.
      Here are the basic details below.
      Time---Sunday January the 27th at 1:00PM
      Address---19295 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, OR 97062
      Stay tuned for updates on the event as they roll in, there is always something brewing here in the PNWMAS club.