Power strip

lewisriverfisherman

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

That really is cool, and much smaller than a DJ powerstrip as @Bicyclebill points out.  Thanks for sharing.

One thing you can do is run a GFCI per outlet.  It's allot more $$, but a single trip while you are on vacation means one piece of equipment out, not 7.  Just something to consider.

That is a good point.  You got a good source on GFCI 's?

• 3 weeks later...
That really is cool, and much smaller than a DJ powerstrip as [mention=14201]Bicyclebill[/mention] points out.  Thanks for sharing.
One thing you can do is run a GFCI per outlet.  It's allot more $$, but a single trip while you are on vacation means one piece of equipment out, not 7.  Just something to consider.
I like the idea of 1 instead of 7, tripping. How do you run a GFCI per outlet on these strips?

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! [emoji481]

Just now, Optimusprime3605 said:

I like the idea of 1 instead of 7, tripping. How do you run a GFCI per outlet on these strips?

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! emoji481.png

Basically plug the GFCIs in after the power strip, not before.  Each outlet on the power strip gets a yellow portable GFCI like brandon's picture above.  This ups the cost signficantly (10-12 per outlet) but it ups the reliability significantly as well.

So outlet->power strip->power strip outlet ->gfci->reef equipment

• Like 2

Basically plug the GFCIs in after the power strip, not before.  Each outlet on the power strip gets a yellow portable GFCI like brandon's picture above.  This ups the cost signficantly (10-12 per outlet) but it ups the reliability significantly as well.
So outlet->power strip->power strip outlet ->gfci->reef equipment
Sorry, I did not see the yellow portable GFCI. Duh...anywho, where can we find these portable GFCI units? I take it, HD would have them? Any idea on cost per unit?

Also, I have a DJ strip already hooked up, can I just plug these into the DJ strip?

Yes, HD has them, 12 bucks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Plug-In-GFCI-Adapter-3-Wire-Grounding-30339036/203741464

The most important thing is to get one that resets after a power outage automatically.  These ones do.  The test is simple, unplug it, then plug it back in.  If you have to hit the reset to get power, take it back.  It should automatically be powered.

• Like 1

Yes, HD has them, 12 bucks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Plug-In-GFCI-Adapter-3-Wire-Grounding-30339036/203741464

The most important thing is to get one that resets after a power outage automatically.  These ones do.  The test is simple, unplug it, then plug it back in.  If you have to hit the reset to get power, take it back.  It should automatically be powered.

Gracias, holmes!

• Like 1