January 2018 TPA meeting Pics

badxgillen

Well I must say, the January 2018 meeting went great! A meet and greet at the Premium Aquarium made a splendid beginning of the year event. Tons of beverages, pizza, and sweets were provided by the club and Garret so no one was left hungry during their socializing or shopping, I mean who wants to raffle on an empty stomach? As always the shops tanks were packed and looked great! So many fish and corals, so little time, and so little tank space at home. 

I mean take a look at these crisp and clear displays, very nice.

SAM_4983.JPG

Even the rock work was not only well planned, it is well executed, made with the forethought of corals growing in.

SAM_5084.JPG

You can''t help but stop  and take an extended look, every time it gets me salivating...And envious!

I saw Chef Dave working at getting the tanks looking their best when I arrived, a having a prime reef tank is an endless task.

As far as frags and colonies go there was a very nice blend of SPS, LPS, and soft corals that were available, whats that? You like that chunky teal frag in the middle?SAM_4999.JPG

well its in my tank now, along with a few others. Had to replace my red dragon and Chris hooked it up with some insane prices. Good man that Chris, good man.

And I know I usually open up with people but I want to throw one more up here and then I will move on from the non human life for a minute or two. Although there were many amazing fish and inverts int the store, I had to throw this pic up of Garret's anemone tank. It is simply spectacular, so many nice anemones it is slightly sickening...And I don't even like anemones that much, but these I had to give props to.

SAM_4994.JPG

And believe it or not this picture does not hold a candle to the colors I saw in person. It was a vibrant mix of reds, oranges, greens, and purples...Some having splotches inside or almost that glittery appearance. A couple had the "sheen" to them that makes them glow. looking into this tank and the clam tank would make any one want a lagoon on the side of their tank.

And speaking of colorful vibrant specimens... Here we have Albertareef left and Flashyfins right. As usual they are laughing or giggling about something that I am clueless about. Alberta, I glued down that frag and put it in a tank in my kitchen so that I can keep a close eye on it, I think I can keep this guy going but we will see. And Cherany, Thank You very much for your assistance running the raffles, you and Shaun make a great team. Much appreciated.

SAM_5001.JPG

I also realized going through these pics that y'all have such good fashion sense at these meets, where is I have none. 

Hey! Now who is this that walked in the door!? Our wonderful president Emerald and first lady Sirena! 

SAM_5026.JPG

I didn't get the goombas names but they are little cuties aren't they. All ready to do some aquarium window shopping and get an ear full about marine biology. We love our geek outs don't we, it always makes me happy to see children enjoying aquarium life, little minds are at work for sure.

And did somebody say Geek Out? No offense meant guys but this...

SAM_4997.JPG

This is a geek out right here that I wanted to be part of. Garret of TPA and Gumby to the right are ogling a sweet piece of montipora Jim brought in to share. Garett thinks it very well could be a rare undata. You know I had to snag me a tiny piece to see what it may do in my tank. Thank You, Jim, your corals and assistance is really something. And Thank you Garret, for opening up your store to us, getting all that food setup and taken down, and all the killer deals and information you give us. You are one of the good ones my friend.

Now here we have the rare Stylaster under actinic lighting, I like to keep him under AISol lighting instead of the radions...To get the colors to really just pop!

SAM_4986.JPG

But really folks, Roy here is another of the good ones I was talking about. Informative, generous, and kind make this someone you should always give a shout out to when you see him. I didn't get much face time at this meet but I am looking forward to next months meeting in Washington at which point I will be able to just talk his ear off. I saw those treasures you picked up at TPA, and I saw that lowboy thread you started. You know I will be needing some of that reef candy.

Youcallmenny and son here brought some candy themselves, I see that cooler in hand man.

SAM_5033.JPG

And wouldn't you know it, he has a beautiful blastomussa frag for me, Thank You guys. It is going next to my TECO blasto frag...YES! Hope the acro frags work for you and if you want a few more I will get some cut for you. I have a killer blue that is pretty nice.

And here are some more of the PNWMAS crew. 

SAM_5038.JPG

Emerald smiling on the left and Fishoutofwater on the right.I feel like I was supposed to bring you a frag man, but I just cannot remember what it is that I had that you were interested in. Refresh my memory sometime and I will get you squared away yeah.

SAM_5041.JPG

Whats up Man! Higherthinking here and Lauren, on the right obviously. Getting ready to pounce on some of those killer clams TPA had in stock. A maxima and a derasa later and I bet you are feeling much better, get that salt water fix. I hope to see you both soon yeah, see what you have done with your place, and that big reef tank. Have not been out since the calcium reactor talk/meet.

SAM_5054.JPG

Bicyclebill and Mark are in the House! glad you made it out to another meeting. Always happy to see either of these two faces. Bill, as usual, was being generous and handing out monti frags like it aint no thing. OG coral gansta style, Insert low bass hiphop beat for a few seconds for bill here...Yeah Yeah.

These next too can have a little theme music too but something softer.

SAM_5059.JPG

Gill&Fin on the left and Lexinverts to the right. Both a couple of awesome people who I always enjoy talking with. Holly, I wouldn't mind seeing your setups again soon, or maybe you will be having a meeting in your area sometime this year perhaps?..And Andy, I will drop you a line in the next few days and see if I can't come by and be of some assistance. I know that slimer colony has grown out  the water and need to go under the saw...Not sure if bone cutters will cut that massive stalk. If your lucky folks I will take pictures when I get to that particular event.

SAM_5063.JPG

Danlu of Reefi left and Optimus Prime right. I like both of these guys. Daniel has a pretty nice setup going on and I hear Optimus does too, maybe I can sneak a peek some time? I love seeing other peoples setups no matter the size of complexity. Let me know if that Shazam gives you trouble and I will see what I can do. I will be cutting the chongs bongs soon if you want a frag of those. That goes for both of you. I love trading zoas.

SAM_5073.JPG

Its Ron! Scoping out some fish and torches no doubt. This guy has a collection going on that he needs to share with us...Relax Ron, I am talking about pictures, I would never want to hurt those scrumptious Glabrecens. 

SAM_5080.JPG

I didn't get a chance to speak with everyone and Brandon here on the left was one whom I missed, sorry man, be assured I will be at another meet though. On the right is Paratore of WCC. Cody my man, my son is going to school out at Western which means that maybe I can come by your place and snag something here soon. Maybe get a trade going on. I know your zoa game is strong.

SAM_5085 (2).JPG

JFry, glad you could make it man. We gota meet up outside a meeting or working, get to catch up on the business and life. I like talking maintenance, so many experiences, so many right and wrong ways to do things, and along with the other random events thrown in it never gets boring.

SAM_5127.JPG

PDXMonkeyboy. Awesome work on that PAR meter man, I saw you test it side by side the Apogee and it was so close it was almost sickening.. Those meters are Sooo much Money. Good work man, and thanks for sharing it with everyone.

SAM_5122.JPG

Colby here of PIA, coming in and swooping up a TTON of clown pairs for his massive breeding project in his Tangent facility. I mean it man, I am going to cruise out your way this next week and see whats up. Those systems should be rocking and rollin by now yeah. I be you have some wild stuff in.

SAM_5116.JPG

A last couple relevant pictures with Sharklover taking home the MP10 Circ pump. Happy day!!! Just a terrible photo on my part, so sorry, lots of motion.

Eccotechs are some super nice pumps.

And here we have Reefermadness taking home the ATO.

SAM_5120.JPG

Very cool man, I swear we were talking about one last month, now you can implement it into the reef tank. And let me know when you want some easy going acros. I got you covered there man, I owe you.

SAM_5016.JPG

And I guess I will finish this off with some nice Anthias that were at The Premium Aquarium.

And my usual Big THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU to all the Officers, Board Of Directors, Sponsors, The Premium Aquarium Crew, and club members who make all this possible. I know you are all tired of me saying this but...

You All ROCK!!!

REEF ON!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Super fun meeting! I'm kicking myself for leaving my camera at home, because the male squareback anthias for sale were show stoppers I wish I had pictures of now. If only my tank were large enough! True beauties of the sea.

Thanks so much for having us, Garrett! I know we all appreciate the hookup with that paid club member discount. Love my new acans and starfish! :wub:

Robert, it's always so nice of you to take pictures and post them up. :photo: I'll have to bring my camera next month and make sure you're in a few!

That was a lot of fun! Can't believe Lauren hung out for three hours! She's a trooper. Yeah, I ended up with a blue, gold-rimmed Maxima and a gold, blue-rimmed deresa. Perfect combination! Also got a couple softies for my work tank.

It was great chatting with everyone over there. And yes, Robert, you gotta get back up here! It's quite the journey, I know. Maybe it'll mean I gotta host another meeting to get you up here! After chatting with you I went ahead and tried that putty solution to arrest the little STN that began on my prized colony.

f7272e0fe3fb8ce6da15cfbd1f139152.jpg2935869fc225f789d00ec326ab60efa8.jpgff392306c67d07b04b34eed34365d2a3.jpg

Here it is when not on a chair getting putty all over it:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9e1f54d09ab875b2b89136cedafaca5d.jpg

• Like 3

Great write up as always Bert!  Hilarious and informative.  Not so sure about the fashion sense though...

Had a great time seeing a lot of regulars plus some new faces.  Always nice to reconnect with the "southern contingent" of the club since they can't always make it all the way up north for the meetings.  Garret had the shop looking really good and had some nice pieces on display - had to come home with an Aussie lobo even though I'm not normally an LPS kind of guy.  Glad to see several other folk scored some things as well.  I will have to remember the putty trick.

Andrew - I think we have an open spot in the meeting schedule later this year... I was wondering if the Hwy 30 crowd might like to co-host something at your place again if you were up for it @Higher Thinking  We have several members up that way now so might be a nice way to bring everyone together and isn't too much of a drive from PDX.  Plus, I'm sure your tank looks even more impressive than the last time I saw it!  

• Like 2

Great write up as always Bert!  Hilarious and informative.  Not so sure about the fashion sense though...
Had a great time seeing a lot of regulars plus some new faces.  Always nice to reconnect with the "southern contingent" of the club since they can't always make it all the way up north for the meetings.  Garret had the shop looking really good and had some nice pieces on display - had to come home with an Aussie lobo even though I'm not normally an LPS kind of guy.  Glad to see several other folk scored some things as well.  I will have to remember the putty trick.
Andrew - I think we have an open spot in the meeting schedule later this year... I was wondering if the Hwy 30 crowd might like to co-host something at your place again if you were up for it [mention=15271]Higher Thinking[/mention]  We have several members up that way now so might be a nice way to bring everyone together and isn't too much of a drive from PDX.  Plus, I'm sure your tank looks even more impressive than the last time I saw it!  
I'm game for whatever. Just let me know if I could be of any assistance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the great recap Bert! You always do an awesome job of that. Man, Garrett has the most incredible selection of acans! I actually bought a couple to find out that acans are the preferred treat of blue faced angels. Needless to say, rigged up my fishing rig and you can now see that fish at Jeff’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Bicyclebill said:

Thanks for the great recap Bert! You always do an awesome job of that. Man, Garrett has the most incredible selection of acans! I actually bought a couple to find out that acans are the preferred treat of blue faced angels. Needless to say, rigged up my fishing rig and you can now see that fish at Jeff’s.

Bummer!  Is this the one that liked newly introduced zoanthids as well?  Shame you had to find out the hard (expensive) way.  Agreed about Garret's acans though - picked up a selection at the last meeting down there and they look really sharp and are doing well.

38 minutes ago, Bicyclebill said:

Man, Garrett has the most incredible selection of acans! I actually bought a couple to find out that acans are the preferred treat of blue faced angels. Needless to say, rigged up my fishing rig and you can now see that fish at Jeff’s.

:nooo::nooo::nooo::nooo::nooo:

I'm in shock! Not that he likes acans, but that he's gone from your tank now. :teardrop:  

Hopefully Jeff keeps him in a display tank, where his beauty can be appreciated by all.

DSC_8638.JPG

I'm in shock! Not that he likes acans, but that he's gone from your tank now. :teardrop:  
Hopefully Jeff keeps him in a display tank, where his beauty can be appreciated by all.

DSC_8638.thumb.JPG.90e74799703615a47a59c5403a6affbb.JPG

[language filter] Cherany, that is a spectacular picture you took!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bicyclebill said:

[language filter] Cherany, that is a spectacular picture you took!

I’m especially glad I took it now. I think we’ve all had fish or other livestock lost or traded off that we never did get a nice picture of, so it’s good to have something to remember him by. If only all my pictures came out as nice! Takes snapping quite a few to get a winner. Helps when the subject is as nice as your tank! 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 8:48 PM, Bicyclebill said:

Ummm, not really.... I think he fish lasted at Jeff’s oh say, until I saw it. I guess I need to also thank Garrett for having such a nice Acan collection :highfive:

On 1/29/2018 at 9:31 PM, Flashy Fins said:

DSC_8638.JPG

The fish will will be well cared for, I’ll even toss an Acan frag her way on special occasions.

Great photo btw!

Edited by reefnjunkie
  • Like 1