Coral dip

I’ve been using coral rx for the recommended time/dose. Then, I brush off the Frags and agitate them slightly to get rid of any critters. After that I drip acclimate the Frags in a seperate container for several hours. 

I also remove the plugs.:crab:

Edited by Liam

I also dip with Bayer and iodine, not mixed together. I actually remove the coral from the plug before dipping...
Side note: Dipped frags that I bought from the meeting at TPA yesterday and found black bugs.
I wasn't the only one the had pests.

ALWAYS dip no matter where they came from!

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! [emoji481]

Coral Rx dip in a 50/50 mix of source water and my QT tank water, usually for 8 minutes (cut short if coral reacts poorly or longer if something icky comes off).

Rinse off with QT tank water (separate container) and then a long dip in an overdose of Flatworm Exit, a dozen or so drops in a small container for 30 minutes, longer if I catch any red planaria, which are the main reason I do this dip.

It’s rare I see anything come off my corals, but I don’t do much SPS. I did get a decent size euphyllia eating flatworm off a hammer coral recently during a Coral Rx dip.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

I also dip with Bayer and iodine, not mixed together. I actually remove the coral from the plug before dipping...
Side note: Dipped frags that I bought from the meeting at TPA yesterday and found black bugs.

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! emoji481.png

Yep! When I was in the hobby 5 yrs ago i didn' dip and ended up with red bugs.  This time around I'm gonna try and do things the right way.  I' not going to be able to quarinteen fish but that us just the chance I have to take.

• Like 1

Just the ready to use.  I prefer to limit my exposure to things like that any way I can.  Mixing it up beforehand sounds like it wouldn't jive with that.  It's pretty viscous stuff though.  What I would like to know is how in the world are you seeing anything coming off the coral?  Both my coralRx and Bayer cloud the water too much to even see the coral, let alone anything on the bottom.  

will potasium chloride kill the eggs? i got a pair of jewlers magnifying glasses on amazon in order to see the eggs. $11

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just ordered some big old hobby headset with flip down jewelers loupe myself! Rumor has is that Brad (Reefnjunkie) has used potassium chloride successfully, though I haven’t actually reached out to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered some big old hobby headset with flip down jewelers loupe myself! Rumor has is that Brad (Reefnjunkie) has used potassium chloride successfully, though I haven’t actually reached out to confirm.

i remember hearing something about it.. someone was using it as a display tank treatment for something.

i know a lot of people scrape them off or superglue them..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I used Bayer in the past. After having a baby, I switched to potassium chloride instead. When dipping with potassium chloride, check the salinity. I have killed a lot corals without realizing salinity shot up. The plus side of using potassium chloride is the water stays clear so you can see the pests.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, Optimusprime3605 said:

Ive not hadn’t experience with black bugs thankfully but last I was reading on them there wasn’t anything that killed them (that didn’t kill the infected piece of course)

On 1/29/2018 at 8:36 PM, Bicyclebill said:

I’ve been reading a bit and ordered some potassium chloride. I’m battling a light AEFW infestation and found some info from reliable sources on r2r. I usually dip with bayer, but AEFW eggs aren’t affected by anything I’m told.

correct on NOTHING that kills the eggs to date that doesn’t kill the coral

On 1/29/2018 at 10:08 PM, Bicyclebill said:

LOL, I’ve got a similar set of jewelers loupes, 15,20,25x magnification and a LED on each eye piece, BEST set I’ve ever found for hands free inspection.

I’ve used the potassium chloride as a dip and as an in tank treatment (in a frag tank that’s coul be isolated and was bare bottom. KEY to this dip is you have to wait for the coral to slime otherwise it’s really not a sure thing. Also basting will really irritate the coral, sometimes killing it if it’s to aggressive of a basting. In tank treatment is a whole different “recipe”/ process

For the dip I use(d) 1 tablespoon per gallon of tank water and soak 15 minutes ( or more, sliming be key), shake really well in dipping solution vs basting/powerhead then shake real well in tank water ( not in the tank, but water from the tank) to finish the dipping process.

I honestly prefer Bayer for its mild affect it has on the acro, I’ve mistakingly left a frag in Bayer for 9 hours and it lived. 

Advantge the potassium has is it’s clear but not as much a “killing agent” as Bayer. Only disadvantage with Bayer is its cloudy, besides being a bad arse chemical that’s been banned in certain states. O.O

ive used every dip known to kill pests I believe, Bayer is best in my book with the potassium being second since both are the most gentle dip I’ve ever used.

Brandon Bayer (I use the concentrate)  can be used 5-10 mls per cup soaking 15 mins, then I rinse 2-3x  in tank water, each rinse is a different container of tank water so basically I set up 4 containers, 1 Bayer 3 rinse.

HTH

Edited by reefnjunkie
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, Optimusprime3605 said:

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! emoji481.png

I do know that Garrett had been putting a lot of wild colonies into his 300dt, then he got black bugs. As far as I know that was the only system contaminated. However that does worry me a bit considering most coral dips won't kill em.. In the last few months the only corals I've actually seen pests on before and after dips were pieces I had gotten from upscales. They just had what appeared to be a few different egg clusters on the frag plugs, all of which were thrown out pretty quickly. 

• Like 1