Paratore's 75 Gallon Display

Paratore

1 hour ago, Paratore said:

Well lesson learned. I plugged in my light to the new outlet I installed and BOOM!! The ballast went POP and blew smoke out!! I instantly pulled out the light power and cringed. Initial thought was too much power. So I got out my tester and it was putting out 220v! Oops. The junction box I used was for the wall heaters that need 220v. What are the odds...?
Anyways now I need to install a new ballast for my T5s. Also crawled around in the creepy attic again and fixed my wiring issue. Thank goodness the apex was able to handle the 220v and is ok emoji51.png

Also plan to purchase my replacement parts for the MP-10s, my other radion, return pump and skimmer this week :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes!  Always a good idea to through a volt meter on your wiring projects just in case. Never know when you might get a surprise!  Glad the Apex wasn’t damaged. 

• Like 1

That's crazy!  Usually a 220 has two hot leads, you must have picked them both up?  Great thing about making a mistake is learning for the next time right?  Thanks for sharing, it helps others know to watch out.  Glad you came out mostly unscathed!

Both my black and white were hot!
It just never occurred to me to check them, I’m just glad I didn’t have all my equipment plugged in. So far only my T5 ballast and return pump were fried. I think I unplugged it fast enough to save the apex thank goodness.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Small update.

I ran an RODI line from my heater heater room all the way to where my

Tank is. Plan is to use solenoids and floats to create a direct line between my tank and RODI unit. Here is the little tube sticking out of the wall [emoji4]

Also the tank is pretty much ready. Apex is hooked up and waiting for water. My BRS 4 stage 150gpd will be here on Friday. Then the tank gets wet!

Still deciding on lights, Kessils for my dads 180 get here on Friday so I’ll check those out. Also hoping to get my hands on a Hydra 26. Then I’ll have one of each (Kessil 360, Hydra 26, and Radion XR15). Hoping that seeing each will help me decide lol. Also having second thoughts about running 4 T5 bulbs. Maybe just two??

0be2abad8b7e8b706ca6a6c1effa05dc.jpg079239a676dbb41391b2be3b0e042257.jpg

• Like 2

t5's really bath things in light. It is really flat, but also helps reduce the LED rainbow effect... if that is not your thing. some people dig it.

cool build for sure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thank you, and Honestly I hate the look of T5 lol. Makes the tank look boring and flat. I’m only running them because you can’t beat the coral growth under them:) the LEDs will be for shimmer, color and energy efficiency lol.

Plan is to run LEDs most of the day and have the T5 pop on for about 4-5 hours. Just not sure if four extra T5 bulbs will be too much par for a mixed tank. Guess I’ll need to get my hands on a par meter lol.

too much PAR? is that a thing?

i have a par meter and t5's if you want me to take some general par readings... give you some ideas..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha I think it might be too much when I’m blasting LPS with 400par on the sand bed lol. Well I’m hoping I can replicate what BRS did with their video on the Aquatic life fixture. But my T5 is DIY and was a grow light so I’m curious to see how different my personal par is...
But I’ve also been tempted to use this DIY set up over my frag tank and use my 36” ATi over this tank with Kessil LEDs mounted to the ATI.
I’m so indecisive on what lighting I want to do lol.

Thanks! I’m hoping all the fish poo is able to stay suspended with this rock structure [emoji4]

Also finished up my ATO this evening. So here is the basics. I wanted to never ever have to fill up an ATO container or top off my tank. So I wanted the tank connected straight to my RODI unit. Yes, I know this is dangerous. But I’ve done it on my frag tank, and my dads 180 has been running like this for 10 years. Neither has ever had a problem.

So I added as much redundancy as possible. A solenoid controls the flow of water into the tank. This solenoid is controlled by two float switches. One for low/normal level. And one high for an emergency back up. I’ll use the apex to only allow power to the solenoid/floats for about 25 minuets every day (depending on evaporation). And if all else, the water has to flow through a mechanical float valve.

As I see it, there are four safety features to make sure the tank doesn’t over flow [emoji4] that is enough to let me sleep at night. Oh and I’ll also add a leak detector just in case to alarm me of an overflow.

Anyway it’s hard to explain in text so here are a couple pics.

c4a72e23ecbd9c539b9ced47f664f9b6.jpg9f249a68ad5683cc1a5635fd5c2aa4d7.jpg28ce269d7b3c2c74be4c81488b127cab.jpg

Tomorrow the RODI unit gets hooked up and I start filling the tank!

• Like 3

Bummer about the apex but stoked to see water in there! 

Hoping I just blew the little transform or something inside it. Because it still “works” I just can’t program it and fusion doesn’t recognize it. So I’ll mess with it tomorrow.

Last of the water will go in tomorrow and on Monday I’ll add a sacrificial fish :)

• Like 1

And she is officially cycling!!
Added a bunch of pond matrix from my current frag system so hoping that helps speed up things. Also plan to add some Bacteria in a bottle later today.
I am also recycling an old Ocean Revive LED for my refugium light. :) I’ll post more pics later when my other goodies arrive. I also plan to do some equipment reviews so stay tuned! ef79320bb9802717f6f11af50d49ae4c.jpg

• Like 2

Noice! That's a good idea for a refugium light.  

I watched a video that BRS put out on refugiums and they talked a lot about how the algae needs high par to grow quick. So I figured that running my white/green/Red at 100% should put out nice par to grow algae lol. And it beats going out and buying a new macro light! I’m also gonna start running macros soon to let them get a foothold :)

• Like 1