Paratore's 75 Gallon Display

Paratore

Well its been over two years since I've had a true display! I'm beyond excited to say the least [emoji4]  I moved into a house with three of my closest friends and they wanted a fish tank. Being the stand up guy I am, how could I deny them!?! So I picked up a 75 gallon from Greg and thus the build was born. The plan is to create a beautiful mixed reef with minimal maintenance (everyone has this goal haha). 

My goal with this thread is to document the equipment used so others may steal my ideas, and to see how my tank progresses [emoji4] 

I have spent the last few weeks planning out equipment and livestock. As of now, I only have the tank and some 2x4s! But I just placed an order for a bunch of stuff today. Three boxes totaling 100lb will be here on Thursday! Still need to place at least one two more orders to get all my stuff. For this build, I want everything to work good and to have zero issues [emoji4] Also I never buy myself new equipment so I'm treating myself a little.

Here is what I've got planned for this build.

Equipment: 

Lighting: Going with a T5/LED Hybrid. Either the AquaticLife hybrid fixture with two AI HD Primes or something similar. BRS put a video out about this setup and it would meet my needs/desire for the tank. 

Flow: Two MP-10QD (already have, just need to order new drivers since mine aren't working properly) OR one Gyre 230 if the MP-10s don't give me enough flow

Skimmer: Simplicity 240 DC Protein Skimmer 

Return Pump: Simplicity DC 1000 Pump

Overflow: Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow

Rock: 70lb Tonga Branch (going for the floating overhang)

Filtration: Pond Matrix and MarinePure block

ATO: I'm still deciding but I'm leaning toward the new Apex ATK ATO or Tunze Osmolator 3155

Sump: Trigger Emerald 34

Heater: 200w Eheim Jager 

Stand: Custom made by yours truly [emoji4]

Livestock:

Fish: (Going for the Skittles look with lots of movement)

Clownfish pair

Blue Spot Jawfish

Orchid Dottyback

McCoskeri Flasher Male

Brunneus Fairy Wrasse Male

Lineatus Wrasse Male

Ornate Leopard Wrasse Female

Very small Purple Tang

Flameback angel

Midas blenny

This fish list isn't final, just my thoughts thus far. I'm definitely open to other fish and ideas [emoji4] 

Inverts: 

2-4 Cleaner shrimp

2 Blood shrimp

Starfish eventually

Urchin? 

Corals: Lots of Zoas and LPS with a few SPS. I'll list them all out as I add them to the tank. 

Here is how the tank sits right now.

Wait....that wall doesn’t have a power outlet.....

Up next: fix the no power issue!

df7533a868dff95781b7c50075edfa7f.jpg

Edited by Paratore
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, albertareef said:

Glad to see you working on a DT Cody!  You should certainly have lots of vibrant specimens to load in there when you are ready!  Can't wait to see this come together.

Thank you :) I even forgot a couple fish haha! Once it gets closer to stocking time, I will have to thin my list a little so the tank isn't too crowded :/

1 minute ago, youcallmenny said:

Cleaned up pretty well!  Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help, I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.  Still thinking of the peninsula approach with it?  I've got a host of easier sps for you when it's ready!

I wish I could could have it be a peninsula but the layout of our house doesn't allow it.... It crowds the room too much and makes walking around awkward. So it will go up against the wall! 

SPS are definitely in this tanks future, already working on a list haha.

• Like 1

Cool man.  Hey I have a simple ATO system for you if you decide you need it.  From automatictopoff.com, dual-redundant, pump is the BRS 50mL/min peristaltic.  Not fancy like a tunze or anything but if you have a reservoir somewhat close it works great.  

Dude not fancy saves money for now and the equipment list is draining the fish fund lol. You gonna be at the meeting? If so maybe bring it With you and I’ll check it out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

Yea I'll be there.  Sound like a plan.  Plus I hope you've noticed when I go 'not fancy' it's more a matter of 'highly functional'.  :highfive:  It's actually Bill's design that I swiped a long time ago.  It'll be in the truck!

I'm a firm believer in the "highly functional" as well.  I have one of what I believe to be theirs (got it used a long time ago) as well hooked up to a aqualifter and it works great.  The reed (float) switches can go bad over time but with the redundancy, you should catch it before you ever see a full failure - they are cheap to replace.  See you guys later today!

and, in case you were interested, aqualifter autocorrects to qualifier - grrr.

• Like 2

As I mentioned in my first post, the wall I want to put the tank on has no power outlet. So, I needed to make one. Here are the crazy steps I took to install this outlet. Keep in mind I have very limited experience with electrical work. 

Step one: Suit up

Our attic if full of insulation padding and shredded insulation. Anyone who has crawled around in this stuff before knows it is from the devil himself. So, to avoid hours of itching I borrowed a protective suit from work, and face mask for breathing and put on my boots. I also wore rubber gloves and duck taped the connections so there was zero chance insulation would get in my suit. 

ad92679cbe8fa929cdbc8091b7b3a8fe.jpeg

Step Two: Climb into the super creepy, dark attic

This step is pretty straight forward lol. I needed to find the wall where I wanted to add electricity. This is much harder than one would think. As you can see in a later photo its like a sea of insulation which makes it almost impossible to tell where walls begin and start. Let alone finding the exact wall/part I need. 

3baa70e4d70dc29d6f10acfa4f6637ac.jpg

Step Three: Drill a hole in the top of the wall

As you can see I finally found the correct wall :) Next, I used a 1.5" drill bit and created a hole to push the new electrical cable through....Wait......this whole only goes down 4 feet and my wall is 8 feet......(pause for quick call to my dad)......Learned that there is a fire break half way up the wall to prevent fires from racing up inside the walls. So I have a new problem, how to I drill a hole through the 2x4 fire break using this 1.5" hole........?

I don't have a picture of my "super fancy" tool but I made a DIY drill bit extension. I welded a 1.25" drill bit to the end of a 5' piece of rebar I had laying around. Stick that DIY extension down the hole and pray it works otherwise I'm out of luck for this build. Well the first weld broke so now there is a drill bit in my wall but the second try worked perfect!

Last, I just needed to thread the electrical cable though the two holes and out the bottom. 

3e9dd9d92e23e2f1fae32e727ba54968.jpg

Step four: Find Power

I lucked out and was able to see a junction box about 8 feet away from the hole I drilled. I climbed over to it and proceeded to step five.

1918f8bb67b024a7802ff16d79ed3808.jpg

Step five: Actually acquire power

Yet another thing I had never done before but hey, I watched lots of Youtube videos! If you ever do this, make sure to turn off the house power lol. After a few calls to my dad to make sure I didn't burn down the house the connection was ready. Connect black to black, ground to ground, and white to white.

418196f152f7cc8712ae418c970117cd.jpg

Step Six: Cut outlet hole

Measure up from the carpet to match it with existing outlets around the house and then cut! Pull the power cord through, insert blue box, attach all the wires, and then put it all together. 

24772c8863989bf9748ca52235188074.jpg

LET THERE BE LIGHT (or just power)

d4e1f7c2c7298b0c9f57ed6a482bf348.jpg

Now I am ready to begin building the stand. Hopefully my roommate and I will be able to get that done tomorrow! 

Edited by Paratore
  • Like 3

Independence is seeing a drastic increase of 75G reef tanks being built. Haha. Excited to see your approach on a 75-gallon reef tank and obviously excited to see the finished product. Let me know if you need any help. 

It’s crazy how we are both building a 75 at the same time! Currently writing up about all the pictures on my laptop. Soon there will be words! And I appreciate the offer!

3 minutes ago, Paratore said:

It’s crazy how we are both building a 75 at the same time! Currently writing up about all the pictures on my laptop. Soon there will be words! And I appreciate the offer!

Not "exactly" at the same time, I technically started my build first. :tongue:

27 minutes ago, Paratore said:

I’ve never worked with Tonga branch so I’m excited to see how it works out. It’s gonna be a totally different look I think!

I feel like Tonga branch is 2x harder to aquascape, but if you can pull it off its going to be sick. 

Today I started on the light. I wanted a T5/LED combo. Plan is to run the LEDs for most of the day with the T5s on for only a few hours to provide color/growth. I love the shimmer/pop with LEDs but you can’t beat the growth and color of T5s.
Plan was to buy an aquatic Life Hybrid fixture but I hate spending money. So I decided to DIY it. I grabbed my old 8bulb off brand T5 and started playing doctor. Keep in mind I know the basics of electricity and that’s it!
86a9e4b00f3011cd33df997af0eb79ac.jpg49bf2bdf178e2573533f9e19b1822718.jpg
Underneath the reflectors was nothing lol. These fixtures are pretty simple, I was surprised!
Started cutting things up and reattaching then to a 1/2” piece of plywood. 351a894547e65fc49657be58fa1f2d4f.jpg
Attached some wires here, a couple there and boom we have light!!! Not gonna lie, I was super surprised when the light turned on [emoji23]
2e8e35c3e4d9fd2e62e4b1d51ab5b191.jpg
Attach the other set of reflectors, some more wires and this is the final product. Plan was to place radions down the middle but there isn’t enough space... gonna go with Hydra 26Hds instead :) she may not be pretty but it will work and I saved a few hundred bucks!
Oh and it’s either going in a floating canopy or a full canopy so it will be hidden :)396aea460d91417bea5bee0f3805c015.jpgff221b6e702b5a4564e28da86911a577.jpg

• Like 2

Got around to drilling the tank today! The Reef Synergy is a slick overflow! Can’t wait to put it all together and get water running through it. Also some eye candy from the frag tanks! Lots of goodies waiting for this tank to be ready! 1f97c920ec2a5a576bb9d19e56643fb1.jpgeab529c1537f761734c6654eddea8839.jpg6361a94a951e4edd32093f7efef41f3e.jpg3d545bc6dedc8ce10554c22a37828428.jpg93fb943ac591001790be7a1c3559711f.jpg97b0443f9cc3b4f0d25ddd57d9734b2b.jpgb3880f2144edaf172e4b2624a778de32.jpg6855e804c1394327fb3ffedc24d629de.jpg4dd66dd3f4ce8ba49b82d938b15d970c.jpg7462fe590049afdf0c6da293ac1464a6.jpg

• Like 5