Calcium reactor setup

PowderBlue

1 hour ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

How tall is this reactor?

Randall can smack me down if I'm wrong but looks like an older CR-70 by Reef Octopus... in which case, I think it's around 20 inches or so. 

1 hour ago, bamburgb said:

Is this something that is pretty much ready to go or is there more equipment that would be needed to get it running? Not framiliar with calcium reactors but I've been debating on getting one. 

If you wanted to run off just bubble count and effluent flow you could use as is but it looks to have a pH probe holder and a solenoid on the CO2 regular so you would be able to add pH control if you wanted (highly recommended).  That would require either a stand alone pH controller or a full featured controller with pH probe.

BTW - last time I priced a 5lb CO2 tank at my usual sources they were around $120 without an exchange tank vs $16 for a swap so it would basically be like getting the reactor and regulator for free.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Randall can smack me down if I'm wrong but looks like an older CR-70 by Reef Octopus... in which case, I think it's around 20 inches or so. 

If you wanted to run off just bubble count and effluent flow you could use as is but it looks to have a pH probe holder and a solenoid on the CO2 regular so you would be able to add pH control if you wanted (highly recommended).  That would require either a stand alone pH controller or a full featured controller with pH probe.

BTW - last time I priced a 5lb CO2 tank at my usual sources they were around $120 without an exchange tank vs $16 for a swap so it would basically be like getting the reactor and regulator for free.

So If you have a pH controller does that help with dialing it in? 

Just now, bamburgb said:

So If you have a pH controller does that help with dialing it in? 

Some use it to simply monitor as an aid with the CO2 bubble count adjustment and as a safety cut off in case of an overshoot (pH dropping too low) but others use it as a primary control point (myself included). There are a few ways you can go with this and they each have their advantages/disadvantages.  Definitely can make things more transparent when trying to dial one in.

Sorry Randall... didn't mean to hijack here. :peace:

• Like 1