Sand

talkalot82

So I'm thinking about revamping my aquarium I need some opinions from people who've tried each. I see that there is oolite sand any opinions. Just so everybody knows I normally do a fairly shallow sand bed. I stick with 1 to 2 in. Just enough to make my pistol shrimp happy. And then I know that there's standard agaronite sand. And of course they do the Fiji sand too. 

So what I'm doing is I'm normally have a lot of live rock and this one tank and of course the sums full of live rock as well. That's most filtration except for like my skimmer in that particular tank. But I know I have enough to do that with just sump. So when I'm doing is I want three piles in my tank of rocks and then the rest and I'm going to put clams down and just  a little bit for different-looking in tank.  And of course you know I have a sand sifting star my pistol shrimp goby so I have Critters that live in there you know snails what not. So what are people's opinions on each.

I prefer oolite.  I keep a DSB of ~3-4".  I started with the courser stuff a long time ago but wasn't having a lot of success with my benthic (sand) layer of life.  Sucked it all out of there and replaced it with oolite and now my sand bed crawls.  I've read bristleworms in particular will chafe themselves to death on bigger substrate and I would agree with what I've seen.  

if you plan on lots.of sps.. and thus flow.. go.with the bigger grain sand. i have the red sea argonite... i think? its larger grain but the wrasses still dive under for cover at night and its not like crushed coral that traps a lot of debris.

if you have lots of flow.. the really fine sand blows everywhere. bare bottom is a thing but half bare bottom... looks kind of amateur

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just need it to be goby and tiger pistal shrimp friendly. Since I have had this set for 8 years.  I don't place anything in sand due too them. But maybe a clam or two.  Or my shrimp rearranged all sand. 

Most the water current in that tank is high up. My returns from my sump are top of the tank. And so are my wave makers. My bottom stays put minus critter rearranging. 

I do know I don't like anything larger. I hate  when items get attached  in my substrate. 

from my research the special grade is about as big as you can go and still keep sand fauna happy. Not sure about the bristle worms but I can do without them.

Even if your flow vectors are high in the tank, rock work can deflect flow in a way to disturb the sand. One of my closed loops points up at a 45 degree angle from the floor of the tank and hits a rock ridge about 20" away. The sand (even the special grade) gets blown around from the currents coming off the rock.

Sounds like most sand would be fine for you, maybe just go by color??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk