Berghia Nudibranch

ocboat

Is there anybody breeding these locally or know of any stores that carry them.  I'm having an infestation of aptasia on the shells of my clams and no matter how much I scrub them, I can't get rid of them.  I've heard great things about these creatures but they are pretty expensive to ship an adequate amount of them.  Thanks.

• Sad 1

Let em go at night.  Shoot them right into the rocks with the pipette they come with.

They will completely disappear the first night.  You might think they are dead!  But just wait a couple of weeks and the aptasia will be disappearing!

If you want to see them, use flashlights at night.  Some nights you might see a few if you bought enough.

In my frag tank, the only way I could tell they were still there was by flipping frag plugs.  They would sit on the bottom of them during the day time.  In a display though, they are tough to see.

10 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Let em go at night.  Shoot them right into the rocks with the pipette they come with.

They will completely disappear the first night.  You might think they are dead!  But just wait a couple of weeks and the aptasia will be disappearing!

If you want to see them, use flashlights at night.  Some nights you might see a few if you bought enough.

In my frag tank, the only way I could tell they were still there was by flipping frag plugs.  They would sit on the bottom of them during the day time.  In a display though, they are tough to see.

That was my experience with them. It took only 10 to clear out a 150 gallon tank I had and they reproduce rather quickly.  I had a tank full of wrasses too and they still did the job. My hope had been to pass them off when the aiptasia was cleared up but they are difficult to find.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, bamburgb said:

I wanted to get some but think my Christmas wrasse would eat them 

I have had tanks with wrasses and they still did the job. You have to add them at night and they apparently reproduce rapidly. Really the problem with raising them is people run out of aiptasia to feed them.

We are planning to get some.  While waiting for enough aiptasia to grow we got some aiptasia eating filefish.  They ate all of it. They are really slow moving interesting fish and have become some of my favorite.  I've read they can eat coral, though.  They haven't done that in our tank, but probably wouldn't recommend them for a reef tank.  My favorite thing for aiptasia if you don't want to have to get fish is just calcium mixed up and squirted into their mouths.  I'm still interested in getting berghia's at some point, though, if we can keep enough rock covered in aiptasia in a separate tank with them alive for eating.  We are trying to grow some aiptasia in our garage tank to see how much we can accumulate before getting the berghias.  

• Like 1

Using the kalk past is where I am at now. I don't have a lot of aptasia and none of them are large.

I'm just annoyed at the small ones hiding under or next to growing corals where it is tough to eradicate them.

I probably don't *need* Bergia's but they seems like an interesting idea...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

Using the kalk past is where I am at now. I don't have a lot of aptasia and none of them are large.

I'm just annoyed at the small ones hiding under or next to growing corals where it is tough to eradicate them.

I probably don't *need* Bergia's but they seems like an interesting idea...

I am in the same boat.............I see them mixed in with my zoas and trying to kalk paste them is a PITA...........if you decide to get some let me know would probably be interested in getting some also. I have also found the kalk paste works but then there seems to be more pop up in the same place.........

My only issue is I have a wrasse well a few but one is the supreme picker :laugh: it attacks everything I put in the tank.........I dip corals and put them on a rack and well its right there circling and picking at things.......great fish but I think those little nudis wouldn't stand a chance.......

• 2 months later...

Definitely recommend them.  They wiped out my aptasia in an 8x4' tank.

It takes weeks if not months to happen though, just be patient.  They have to reproduce, grow out and destroy.

Order enough to make sure of success.

Sadly they just die off after that, so hard to find once the food source is gone.

Also the aptasia will come back, so keep on top of it.  I probably need more berghias again :)

I put 9 in my 50 gallon over a month ago and not one aptasia has disappeared.  I even saw several of them about a week after putting them one night, but alas they either weren't happy or something ate them.  Not sure what would have eaten them though with two clowns, lawnmower blenny, blue damsel, and a tomini tang, along with 1 or 2 hermit crabs and a crap ton of snails.