Sign in to follow this  
Trailermann

Why is the reef tank not depleting calcium?

I am adding alkalinity solution every day in my 30 gallon mixed reef.  The rocks and sand are very well established.  Yet the calcium is staying high.  

I keep waiting for the calcium to start dropping in tandem with alkalinity so I can start up my calcium reactor.

What gives?

Maybe your test kit is fubar, maybe something else. I would suggest just firing up the reactor and monitoring alk. The calcium will be there if the reactor is keeping the alk consistent.

30g is kind of small for a reactor, have you considered dosing two part with a doser?

Edited by xmas_one

How long have you been tracking your parameters? There are only a few rare instances where calcium and alkalinity would not drop at their respective ratios. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's like 2.5 kh drop in alkalinity for every 20 parts for calcium. So you aren't going to notice the calcium drop as easily as you will notice the alkalinity. If you're dosing, I would be adding the correct portions of both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Test your mixed RODI (after the salt is added) to see what the parameters are.  If the calcium is high and you are doing regular water changes, that may be the culprit.  I'm not sure that is likely, but it is something to rule out.

That you all for the support.  I am exploring your suggestions, and know I will figure it out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By bamburgb
      I am starting to get curious about calcium reactors and how hard they are to get started using? I have never been able to get SPS growing well and am debating on getting a calcium reactor to help get my tank levels more stable to assist with that. 

What is everyones preference? I have always used B-ionics 2 part but am seriously considering switching.
      How much maintance does a calcium reactor cost?
      what media do people run in it?
      for minerals do you need to dose anything extra for trace elements?
      How often do you need to refill/change the media?
      how often do you test your parameters once its dialed in?

I have seen a few people selling some used ones which is also adding to the possibility to switch. 

• By ibondy
      Hardly used Neptune Dos - Dosing and Fluid metering system. 
      https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dos-dosing-and-fluid-metering-system-neptune-systems.html
      $225.00 
    • By bamburgb
      If anyone has a JECOD DP-2 auto dosing pump can you please help.

while its plugged in does your power light stay on? when its dispensing does the light for the specific pump turn on? right now neither has turned on for mine i got it two days ago and so far am not sure that its even working. any help would be much appreciated.
    • By bamburgb
      If anyone has a JECOD DP-2 auto dosing pump can you please help.

while its plugged in does your power light stay on? when its dispensing does the light for the specific pump turn on? right now neither has turned on for mine i got it two days ago and so far am not sure that its even working. any help would be much appreciated.
    • By bamburgb
      Im currently looking for a 2 part dosing pump that i can program and everything, figured i would see if anyone had a used one they wanted to get rid of before i buy new that and im not wanting to spend the amount of money a new one cost.