Why is the reef tank not depleting calcium?

Trailermann

I am adding alkalinity solution every day in my 30 gallon mixed reef.  The rocks and sand are very well established.  Yet the calcium is staying high.  

I keep waiting for the calcium to start dropping in tandem with alkalinity so I can start up my calcium reactor.

What gives?

Maybe your test kit is fubar, maybe something else. I would suggest just firing up the reactor and monitoring alk. The calcium will be there if the reactor is keeping the alk consistent.

30g is kind of small for a reactor, have you considered dosing two part with a doser?

Edited by xmas_one

How long have you been tracking your parameters? There are only a few rare instances where calcium and alkalinity would not drop at their respective ratios. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's like 2.5 kh drop in alkalinity for every 20 parts for calcium. So you aren't going to notice the calcium drop as easily as you will notice the alkalinity. If you're dosing, I would be adding the correct portions of both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk