Moving to the Area

I am coming from Moscow' date=' ID. Yeah, basically. I have never lived in a town over 25,000 before so this is a bit different experience for me.[/quote']

What part of portland are you mocing to do you know?

Get ready for rain! but we have the best summers ever!!!!!when the sun comes out.

Its a beautiful city with alot to do if the sun permits...

Tell us where you live and that will help us out.

I would move to the west side...Lake Oswego, beaverton, Tanasbourne area!!! SE is not the best, and is becoming very expensive. But with portland, there are good nieghborhoods and bad nieghborhoods right next to eachother, so you kind of have to know the areas...so if you can give a budget we can better help you decide where to live.

As for water we have decent water, less then 10ppm. But I would always go with an RO/DI unit.

Well, ideally I am looking for a two-bedroom because I have a lot of crap. Budget wise...ummm cheap. I was thinking I could probably afford $600 a month or so.

Another really important question: How much do you pay for a kilowatt hour?

It will be tough to find a 2 bedroom, really anywhere in the portland area for 600 a month... I would check out rent.com or forrent.com

as for kilowatt, I have no idea. I just pay the money when they send me my bill.

I have actually found a lot two bedrooms for under $600. I have no idea where they are and what condition they are in though. I was actually thinking it was nice that it seems like the landlords actually want you to move in around there. I live in a town of about 20,000 and has a University of about 13,000 people. Housing is a premium. Housing is actually cheaper down there than it is here. Your wages are a lot better as well.

My net electric charge (after taxes, fees, adjustments...etc) was $0.084/kWh on a recent bill.

NE/SE vs. NW/SW will always be a hot debate in this town. They are very different places and it depends on your lifestyle as to which you would like more. The NE/SE is a bit rougher in my opionon but there is more character and things to do. NW tends to be more upper class and includes downtown Portland. I prefer and live in the SW (Beaverton area).

Great LFS on both sides of the river.

And depending on your comfort level a two-bedroom can be had for $6-700. Just make sure to shop around and ask for specials... get a special in writing and play it off the next place. The last time I moved it was extremely competitive...

Ben

Here is the thing. I don't have a job. I have lived in Moscw for the past five years going to school. I have switched majors too many times to count and I need a break. I am going to move up to my Dad's place for a few months and then down there when I have money.

Sounds like the electricity is just a touch more down there. I pay $0.056 for the first 500 KWH then $0.065 after that. I have 3x400w MH and 2x80w VHO for my tank. Could get kinda pricey if it was too expensive.

Well, I am not a yuppie but any means. Like I said before I have never lived in a big city (I feel like a hick saying that) so don't really know what you mean by rough.

Here is the thing. I don't have a job. I have lived in Moscw for the past five years going to school. I have switched majors too many times to count and I need a break. I am going to move up to my Dad's place for a few months and then down there when I have money.

Sounds like the electricity is just a touch more down there. I pay $0.056 for the first 500 KWH then $0.065 after that. I have 3x400w MH and 2x80w VHO for my tank. Could get kinda pricey if it was too expensive.

Well, I am not a yuppie but any means. Like I said before I have never lived in a big city (I feel like a hick saying that) so don't really know what you mean by rough.

Rough=skechy people mainly...some crime but not alot.

I don't think the eastside of Portland is that bad, I've lived over here for 8 years now and never had a problem. I had more on the West side of town. But it really all depends on what part of west or east side you live in. I started on the way west side (Hillsboro) and I've continued to move East, I really prefer the East side over the West especially with traffic. Sunset highway (26) is HORRIBLE and makes driving that way very long and hard...

Yeah, it's a very pocketed place to live, and it's becoming more gentrified day by day. I bought a house in North Portland, once the epicenter of the Portland ghetto. I am a minority on the street, but the crime rate here (today) is lower than every other place I looked. If you want to see the crime rates, use portlandmaps.com

You can see what the recent statistics are for the area. Highly recommended.

Daniel,

Welcome!!

I lived in Moscow, ID for a time, and it's a big change from the "city". Actually I lived in Troy, about 12 miles east of where you are. A town so small that if you blinked, you missed all 3 taverns, the post office (no mail delivery there), the corner store and a bank. When we entered the town, the population sign said 834. I am positive that included the dogs, cats, cows and chickens lol

I hope you enjoy the experience of the big city.

Lise