What do you do?

stylaster

I'm a building scientist for an energy efficiency consulting company where we design and implement EE programs for utilities in US and Canada.....think energy trust of oregon. A lot of excel and emails, but I get out in the field around the NW for QA work, building performance testing, commissioning, and training. It's fun but I miss my old job.....was a remodeler for about 15 years and specialized in trim work and cabinetry. So if I have more time I could help folks out with tank stands or if you want to know how to make your home more energy efficient and comfortable....and I promise I won't tell you to get rid of that energy hog fish tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Willapa said:

I'm a building scientist for an energy efficiency consulting company where we design and implement EE programs for utilities in US and Canada.....think energy trust of oregon. A lot of excel and emails, but I get out in the field around the NW for QA work, building performance testing, commissioning, and training. It's fun but I miss my old job.....was a remodeler for about 15 years and specialized in trim work and cabinetry. So if I have more time I could help folks out with tank stands or if you want to know how to make your home more energy efficient and comfortable....and I promise I won't tell you to get rid of that energy hog fish tank!

That is cool stuff!  Seems like a good market to be in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

You’re being humble my friend.  I have seen those pictures of you fighting to defend our country. That takes a special kind of courage and sacrifice.

You are also just an all around good friend and the first one there night or day if anything goes wrong with your tank!

We are lucky to have you here Jorge.

You always know the right things to say Kim. Boost of confidence kindly accepted :cool:

• Like 3

That is cool stuff!  Seems like a good market to be in.

Yea, it's fun and keeps you on your toes. The industry it always in a state of change and we're always having to adapt and get creative on how to deliver energy saving to utilities. They can't depend on lighting savings as much as they have in the past since leds are now the norm and Fed standards in lighting keep going up. But that is the ultimate goal in the end....onto the next technology. Right now it's CO2 heat pumps.

Great thread Roy! It's nice to see what people spend the majority of their life doing.
I am a pediatrician by trade so if you have any questions about kids :cryingfit: I can probably help you.
As far as usefulness in this hobby, :unsure:
I hate plumbing, electrical work, handy work in general lol so that's why I am a big part of this forum and I greatly appreciate those of you who are good at it. I know I have sought out help many times and always appreciate it. :clap:

I believe in sticking with what you know.
I am great at organizing large scale and smaller scale events and finding the right people for all the roles that are needed.
And if you are in search of sarcasm I am there! :moneybag: (again not sure what this guy is doing but I like him [emoji6] )

I do have a knack for knowing what a high end coral looks like and identifying many zoas. I also was the one who actually discovered the Oregon Tort and the MattV Orange Envy ( disclaimer... I'm totally lying about the Oregon Tort and the MattV Orange envy! ):peace:

I thought you had a special thing with kids! Might have to hit you up the next time my wife is worried about the baby!

• Like 2

I moved to Oregon in '95 with passable skills in AutoCAD then one day looked up and realized I was the IT department for the company I worked for.   Later went to a bigger IT department, and another day I found myself on the management side.   I spend most of my time seeking to understand clinical and business problems and designing or implementing technology solutions.

I was 10 years at Intel, 10 years at Providence, and currently working on the Medicaid/Medicare side helping my team keep the systems running so that Claims and Prescriptions get paid, and occasionally proactively connecting people to the services they need.

To the LEOs, Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Grunts - Thank you for your service.

• Like 4

Let's see................... this is a pretty cool thread :).

I spent 37.5 years at the local phone company in Kalispell Mt., Lovingly now known as Centurylink. I retired in August of 2012 because of my back. Please don't ask me about phones, I already forgot whatever I used to know. I took up the reef hobby in 1999, and still don't know anything :). I have found that I can answer technical questions about the Grateful Dead, Bowling, yeah, I was one of those too, and maybe the reef hobby if the questions are easy. 

I also found out that I am really, really good at clearing snow off of my driveway lately, and that makes the deer around here pretty freaking happy, at least someone appreciates it.......................................lol. 

I drink Crown Royal on the rocks............................. so if anybody ever needs help with that, let me know. I trade frags for Blue Moon Belgian White, gave up selling them cuz I really just enjoy getting people stuff they like.I have also been told I am pretty ok with a camera :), I am a Canon lady.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Carla said:

Let's see................... this is a pretty cool thread :).

I spent 37.5 years at the local phone company in Kalispell Mt., Lovingly now known as Centurylink. I retired in August of 2012 because of my back. Please don't ask me about phones, I already forgot whatever I used to know. I took up the reef hobby in 1999, and still don't know anything :). I have found that I can answer technical questions about the Grateful Dead, Bowling, yeah, I was one of those too, and maybe the reef hobby if the questions are easy. 

I also found out that I am really, really good at clearing snow off of my driveway lately, and that makes the deer around here pretty freaking happy, at least someone appreciates it.......................................lol. 

I drink Crown Royal on the rocks............................. so if anybody ever needs help with that, let me know. I trade frags for Blue Moon Belgian White, gave up selling them cuz I really just enjoy getting people stuff they like.I have also been told I am pretty ok with a camera :), I am a Canon lady.

Hell yeah :laugh: I like the outlook on frags..........;) I like that attitude............

• Like 2

On 12/30/2017 at 4:40 PM, Willapa said:

Yea, it's fun and keeps you on your toes. The industry it always in a state of change and we're always having to adapt and get creative on how to deliver energy saving to utilities. They can't depend on lighting savings as much as they have in the past since leds are now the norm and Fed standards in lighting keep going up. But that is the ultimate goal in the end....onto the next technology. Right now it's CO2 heat pumps.

Wow, CO2 heat pumps?  Interesting!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, kilmca said:

licensed civil engineer but only do structural engineering.  i work for a multi discipline consulting engineering firm. 

So you are one of those guys who says hell one 2x4 works so lets make it a 2x8 :laugh:  Between guys like you and Architects it makes my life fun ;) at least that's what I keep telling myself :laugh:

• Haha 1

I am a retired Corp COO with two engineering degrees.  I also have a Masters of Education and taught high school engineering and Computer Science .  Currently my time is divided between remodeling my home, raising clownfish, building drones and running my 3d printer.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 8:53 PM, Boro56 said:

I'm an Independent Financial Advisor with 19 years experience...my advice to the board....this hobby is one of the worst risk to reward financial investments you can make, but dang, it sure is fun!

It’s legal! It’s socially acceptable ! And cheaper and safer than crack cocaine ...:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am a microbiologist. I mostly study microbes that inhabit volcanoes and I have been lucky to work at deep-sea hydrothermal vents and on top of some amazing mountains. I'm happy to talk microbes with anyone who has a question-- reef tanks and microbes go hand-in-hand, especially with the nitrogen cycle.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rdavis said:

I am a microbiologist. I mostly study microbes that inhabit volcanoes and I have been lucky to work at deep-sea hydrothermal vents and on top of some amazing mountains. I'm happy to talk microbes with anyone who has a question-- reef tanks and microbes go hand-in-hand, especially with the nitrogen cycle.

Interesting. I did some research while in college on sulfolobus (volcanic hot spring virus). It was a long time ago...

52 minutes ago, rdavis said:

Very cool!  The adaptations involved in survival in such extreme micro environments are pretty fascinating.