Sign in to follow this  
503reefland

Help! ID?

Found a few of these little orange slug like things in my tank. Anyone know what they are, if they are bad or good?

ive been taking them out when I see them. They arnt on coral, arnt flat. They look like a slug has black dots on there back, little, and 2 intenas on them. 

Thanks in advance! 

8555DD0F-219C-41E1-967D-7D4E505CF904.jpeg

Hmm.  The head shape does seem different than a planaria - maybe a juvie nudibranch or aplysia of some sort?  I usually wait for @badxgillen to weigh in on any ID... he is the pro.

• Thanks 1

Looks to be some sort of nudibranch, possibly a Sacoglossan, but these little guys are notoriously difficult to ID. I know that generally speaking these guys are specialty feeders and take on their coloration as either warning signs or camouflage similar to the things they consume. There are many of these animals out there that are waiting to be studied and properly classified so I eer on the side of cation with these kind of organisms, especially if they are not green and amongst algae.

Do they hang out on or around any particular area or thing in the tank? They may just fade away once there is an imbalance in the system or food source...Or you get a nice and hungry wrasse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys!! And I’ve only seen them on 2 peices of live rock in my tank. I’ve taken them out of the tank if I see any just to be safe! 

Edited by 503reefland

At first I thought that too, but the orange body with black spots description threw me off. But then again there are so many nudibranchs out there.

• Thanks 1