Sign in to follow this  
DavidK

Davids Reefer 350 build.

Decided to start a build thread to track the progress on my reefer 350. I am almost done setting it up so but here is the progress I have so far.

Picked up the tank on October 11th 2017. 

20171011_172508.jpg

Bought a lot of goodies. 

20171212_232504.jpg''

On October 18th I finally got around to moving my current tank and putting the reefer 350 in its place. Didn't have all the plumbing parts I needed for the vectra so I hooked up a spare sicce pump I had laying around. I added some caribsea sand and about 100lbs of dry rock that I had cycling and filled the bad boy up with some water.

20171018_113006.jpg

Took my son to Disneyland for Halloween. A little after we got back all the parameters were testing good so I started moving over some live stock and corals.

FragMove.jpg

• Like 3

I slowly worked on stuff underneath the tank and on 12/12 I finally got the time to hard plumb in the vectra m1 and convert the stock ato into a fuge.20171212_160905.jpg20171212_231703.jpg

It was almost midnight when i turned everything back on. Still need to get some chaeto for the fuge and hookup the reactor back up.

Edited by DavidK
  • Like 6

Whoa !! Christmas came early for you! Very nice clean build and nice equipment! I love the Red Sea Tanks ! So are you planning on dosing trace elements and supplements too along with the calcium , alk and mag?

10 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Whoa !! Christmas came early for you! Very nice clean build and nice equipment! I love the Red Sea Tanks ! So are you planning on dosing trace elements and supplements too along with the calcium , alk and mag?

Yes. I have been succssfully using the complete red sea reef care program for the last two years. I dose trace elements based on calcium uptake and test every few weeks to make sure they are still in alignment.

1 hour ago, DavidK said:

Yes. I have been succssfully using the complete red sea reef care program for the last two years. I dose trace elements based on calcium uptake and test every few weeks to make sure they are still in alignment.

What do you think about it?

The red sea program is the only thing I have ever used so I don't have anything else to compare it to but it has been working well for me. 

Received a shipment of pods today. Finished up the fuge and got the reactor hooked back up. Also picked up a few sticks from cuttlefish.20171215_133537.jpg20171215_133827.jpg20171215_231749.jpg20171216_121857.jpg

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Really nice build, David.  Is that an iPad I see on the stand door?

Thanks! Its a Surface Pro I had laying around. I have it connected to my Seneye instead of buying their web server. It comes in handy for keeping track of test results as well.

• Like 2

Little update on the tank. Been busy with the holidays but was able to mount most of my frags. Last night I swapped out the bubble trap foam in the sump for some marine pure blocks. I have seen both good and bad reviews about these them be decided to give it a shot. They are pretty brittle so we will see how they hold up.

IMG_0013.JPG20180108_235754.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

How do you like the Jebao doser? I'm on my third one in a month.

So far they are working out just fine. I have had them setup for just over a month and measured the output just last week and everything was still spot on. I have read about a pretty even mix of good and bad reviews about jebao stuff but the dosing pumps seem to be more on the positive side. I was using two of their wave makers on my previous tank for well over a year without any issues so decided to give the dosing pumps a try. Hopefully the $60 a pop doesn't turn out to be a costly mistake. What issue have you had with yours?

5 hours ago, DavidK said:

So far they are working out just fine. I have had them setup for just over a month and measured the output just last week and everything was still spot on. I have read about a pretty even mix of good and bad reviews about jebao stuff but the dosing pumps seem to be more on the positive side. I was using two of their wave makers on my previous tank for well over a year without any issues so decided to give the dosing pumps a try. Hopefully the $60 a pop doesn't turn out to be a costly mistake. What issue have you had with yours?

The motor shaft slips on the rollers I would prefer a dosing pump where the rollers are physically attached to the like the libra. But I cant afford it. I have recently started putting rubbing alcohol on the dosing head to keep salt creep and moisture to a minimum which so far has been working. The other problem I've had is one of the units just completely stopped working altogether. I'm thinking about modifying the head so it will be more accurate and robust. If it works ill create a thread about it.