Greg's Red Sea Peninsula 650 Build Thread

youcallmenny

19 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Looking good. The more I see these peninsula builds the more I want one!

The aquascape was super fun to build.  It just made a lot more sense in this style for me.  I have my concerns about the overflow only being at one end but everything seems like it's running great!

15 minutes ago, chewie said:

Awesome build. I'm jealous.... I want a peninsula really bad but nowhere to put it. 

Looks like the floor is holding👍 Any rocking side to side? 

What light is that? 

I feel pretty fortunate that this office was basically made for a peninsula.  Yea, the tank hasn't ended up in the garage yet. :joking:  Scott swung by before the tile to scope it all out and we managed to straddle the tank evenly over two engineered joists; parallel but pretty well supported.  If you have the pumps all off you can definitely see the 't-rex' effect on the top of the water when you walk around the tank but the rocking seems imperceptible.  I really appreciate you guys pointing that out to me, the safety aspect of having plenty of experience to check my work has been relieving.  

The light is a 48" ReefBreeder Photon V2. Was the bane of my tank for the first two and a half years until I just borrowed a PAR meter.  Now it's working beautifully.  Not a good idea picking my first reef LED with 6-channel independent control and no real reference on how to program it.  Noone's fault but my own, it's really a great light. 

@albertareef Dangit Sean you jinxed me.  I'm sitting here this morning with a pile of homework from school and I can't stop getting distracted by this thing.  Doesn't help I'm already pro-level scatterbrain.  :drool::readthis::enthralled::nooo:

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

The aquascape was super fun to build.  It just made a lot more sense in this style for me.  I have my concerns about the overflow only being at one end but everything seems like it's running great!

I feel pretty fortunate that this office was basically made for a peninsula.  Yea, the tank hasn't ended up in the garage yet. :joking:  Scott swung by before the tile to scope it all out and we managed to straddle the tank evenly over two engineered joists; parallel but pretty well supported.  If you have the pumps all off you can definitely see the 't-rex' effect on the top of the water when you walk around the tank but the rocking seems imperceptible.  I really appreciate you guys pointing that out to me, the safety aspect of having plenty of experience to check my work has been relieving.  

The light is a 48" ReefBreeder Photon V2. Was the bane of my tank for the first two and a half years until I just borrowed a PAR meter.  Now it's working beautifully.  Not a good idea picking my first reef LED with 6-channel independent control and no real reference on how to program it.  Noone's fault but my own, it's really a great light. 

@albertareef Dangit Sean you jinxed me.  I'm sitting here this morning with a pile of homework from school and I can't stop getting distracted by this thing.  Doesn't help I'm already pro-level scatterbrain.  :drool::readthis::enthralled::nooo:

Well - I just knew what would happen to me if I had that sitting in front of my work space 😍. Good luck focusing... on the homework that is. 

• Haha 1

If they're not Red Sea then they won't work.  They have proprietary-sized rings on them and I really don't feel like altering them.  That was the hardest thing for me about this change was losing my 2x7"x12" felt socks for these goofball things.  Thank you though. 

Edited by youcallmenny

4 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

If they're not Red Sea then they won't work.  They have proprietary-sized rings on them and I really don't feel like altering them.  That was the hardest thing for me about this change was losing my 2x7"x12" felt socks for these goofball things.  Thank you though. 

You can chop them up if you like.  I’m done with them. I’ve got 3 new ones and a bunch of used clean ones.

• Like 1

As I understand it that's a challenge not worth attempting.  They literally have to snap down into place otherwise you can't slide the whole rack back in and it won't work.  Hopefully someone with a Red Sea chimes in but this seems like a pretty common problem.  I've seen some go as far as removing the sock battery to replace it with something less 1st-party.  I appreciate it but next time you're over I'll show you what I mean.  

By the by, the hole on the ato reservoir worked like a charm.  Whole thing is completely automated now.  Couldn't have done it without you!  

20180113_155240.jpg

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

As I understand it that's a challenge not worth attempting.  They literally have to snap down into place otherwise you can't slide the whole rack back in and it won't work.  Hopefully someone with a Red Sea chimes in but this seems like a pretty common problem.  I've seen some go as far as removing the sock battery to replace it with something less 1st-party.  I appreciate it but next time you're over I'll show you what I mean.  

By the by, the hole on the ato reservoir worked like a charm.  Whole thing is completely automated now.  Couldn't have done it without you!  

20180113_155240.jpg

Tank looks great! Yeah sounds like the sock mod is a PITA. Glad I could help getting you up and running. It was a tad nerve racking but it worked out.

• Like 1

That does indeed sound very doable.  Hmm.  

So on a completely unrelated note, I pulled a super bonehead move.  I own two ReefBreeder LED fixtures.  One is 48" and one is 24".  I haven't been using the 24" in a while since I took my nem tank down but left the adapter behind the tank.  Long story short, I've been running the 48" light on the new tank with the 24" adapter.  We thought it looked pretty dim... Things are waaaaaaaay brighter now. Yay! :clap:

• Like 2