Greg's Red Sea Peninsula 650 Build Thread

youcallmenny

Currently I am using a simple set of float valves to regulate my ATO and a 50mL/m peristaltic pump to move water.  I've been using a 30g aquarium as my top off and that sits right next to the DT.  

I ran a line downstairs into the freshwater reservoir thinking I could get rid of the upstairs holding tank.  The pump isn't strong enough to pull water upstairs through about 60' of 1/4" tubing.  How do I make this happen?  

Currently I am using a simple set of float valves to regulate my ATO and a 50mL/m peristaltic pump to move water.  I've been using a 30g aquarium as my top off and that sits right next to the DT.  
I ran a line downstairs into the freshwater reservoir thinking I could get rid of the upstairs holding tank.  The pump isn't strong enough to pull water upstairs through about 60' of 1/4" tubing.  How do I make this happen?  
you need a low flow, high pressure diaphram pump.

I believe i have a brand new at the warehouse if you are interested. i believe it is a shurflow. it takes 3/8 tubing. 12v dc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

you need a low flow, high pressure diaphram pump.

I believe i have a brand new at the warehouse if you are interested. i believe it is a shurflow. it takes 3/8 tubing. 12v dc.

Hmm, some reading says those are generally only good for about 8' of head space.  Is that not true?  This is traveling up a full story.  That would probably fix the problem if it can push water that far.  How much?  

As long as the pressure isn't an issue and I don't think it will be considering that's exactly what these are made for, I think this could work.  Probably just convert it to the existing 1/4" line and drill a hole through the side of the gravity-fed top-off reservoir that these tanks come with.  Attach the end of the line to a float valve inside the reservoir and put the pump on a timer to run a few minutes in the middle of the night and voila. 

Edited by youcallmenny

Ok, this is the pump that I have. NIB.  It has a 35psi switch (meaning it shuts off at 35 psi) Which is nice as if you are using it with a float switch it (should..i don't know how much pressure a float switch can hold) shut off when your res is full. 

Based on physics, a pump with 35 psi can lift water about 80 feet.  (one PSI lifts water 2.31 feet).  

$120 new on amazon.  I'll sell for $80. 

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-04305500A-Water-System-Pumps/dp/B002MY2IUW

• Like 1

Crap, wish I would have checked this.  I ended up picking up a smaller one and it'll be here today.  You can apparently just hardline the 3/8" into a reducing bushing and into a ball valve to regulate pressure.  This would avoid burst lines on a 1/4" tubing line.  Those apparently can't handle more than 40-50psi depending on material.  Is this consistent with your experience?  At any rate, super good suggestion and much appreciated.  Like I said, I hadn't even heard of this style of pump before so I had some reading to do.  Can't wait to try it out. 

Tank is being picked up later today.   

edit:  Pics added to OP.  

Edited by youcallmenny

21 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Ok, this is the pump that I have. NIB.  It has a 35psi switch (meaning it shuts off at 35 psi) Which is nice as if you are using it with a float switch it (should..i don't know how much pressure a float switch can hold) shut off when your res is full. 

Based on physics, a pump with 35 psi can lift water about 80 feet.  (one PSI lifts water 2.31 feet).  

$120 new on amazon.  I'll sell for $80. 

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-04305500A-Water-System-Pumps/dp/B002MY2IUW

Hmm.  This has me thinking about how I could implement a remote reservoir in the basement for RODI and then feed my local top off container in the DT stand.  If I had that remote-controlled power strip that Kim was getting rid of it could be pretty slick.  Still want a manual control for refilling the local reservoir but if I could have a holding tank in the basement and actuate the pump from upstairs it could work quite nicely.  I'm thinking Greg is looking to have his fully automated - which makes sense.

34 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Hmm.  This has me thinking about how I could implement a remote reservoir in the basement for RODI and then feed my local top off container in the DT stand.  If I had that remote-controlled power strip that Kim was getting rid of it could be pretty slick.  Still want a manual control for refilling the local reservoir but if I could have a holding tank in the basement and actuate the pump from upstairs it could work quite nicely.  I'm thinking Greg is looking to have his fully automated - which makes sense.

That's the gist.  The RO/DI is on a timer to turn on for 24 hours once a week and is controlled by a float valve in the 55g freshwater reservoir downstairs.  Then this diaphram pump will turn on every night for an hour or however long it takes it to fill up the built in top-off reservoir above the sump.  I'm drilling that 7g reservoir and putting a float valve there to control this.  That built in reservoir has a built-in gravity fed top-off system that actually feeds that into the sump.  Hopefully it'll be pretty automated and easy to deal with.  I'm getting super excited!  Still just waiting to hear back from Jeff when to go pick it up!

edit: more pics added to OP.

Edited by youcallmenny

obviously 1/4 line varies, but as we speak, my home depot 1/4 polyethalene? hose is pushing 90psi into my RO/DI.

i dont think you need any kind of pressure reducer.

alberta... i think your remote rez would be childs play. fish a 1/4" line and low voltage wire down the wall into the basement. float switch and water line .. done. (well, and an additional float switch and small $10 12volt relay to act as a safety.

• Like 1

Good to know!  I appreciate you sharing your experience and apologize for missing your offer.  

Well, the tank is on it's way back from C&C right now.  Ended up just hiring professional movers to wrestle it upstairs. :moneybag: Pictures soon! :YayWave::photo:

20180104_194622.jpg

Thank you so much Jeff @CuttleFishandCoral!  Sorry about the hangup.  We are really grateful for the help! 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Well, used bacteria in a bottle (SmartStart?) and then moved everything over.  Just finishing up the last of the sand now.  This tank is like a dang fortress compared to the 75g!  The rocks turned out so cool too.  Pics by tonight but man I'm super stoked!

Awesome!  Can't wait to see some pics Greg!

• Like 1