Greg's Red Sea Peninsula 650 Build Thread

youcallmenny

:YayWave:Latest Photo dump at end of page 4 from 17apr18...:YayWave:

Hi everybody and thanks for checking out my thread!  Pictures will get added to the end of this OP as they are added in the thread.  That will hopefully make it easy for future readers to just see the pictures in chronological order.

20171212_150729.jpg

First step, tear down to the subfloor and put hardy board down and then tile it.  For those wondering about the weight and joist questions in a previous thread, the tank will mostly evenly straddle two engineered joists so no worries.  Big thanks again to @spectra for helping to solve that issue. 

20171211_151600.jpg

20171211_182817.jpg20171212_150729.jpg

Gear:

Return - Jabaeo Sine Wave DC-10000 

Skimmer - Reef Octopus Classic 200 Internal 8"

Flow - Unsure, will start with what I have on hand but probably a Gyre XF-270 and whatever else if that's not enough.  I am trying to avoid putting any pumps on the far wall.  We'll see if that's realistic.

Water Mixing/Changing -  These will be hard plumbed up through the floor of the office and be a permanent fixture in the stand.  Waste line goes back through the floor, across the top of the garage, through the wall and into the storm drain.  What this means is that hopefully I can turn on a small pump upstairs for a few seconds to start the drain siphon, empty the sump and then turn on the pump downstairs to refill it with new saltwater.  How this is going to work is largely dependent on how the sump is configured etc.  The main gist is that water changes are going to be soooooo much easier. 

edit 28Dec17: RO/DI is permanently installed and is sourcing from upstairs laundry room to downstairs garage mixing station.  

20171227_151243.jpg

edit 4Jan18: Floor is done. Rockwork is more or less how I want it.  Plumbing is complete.  Tank is being picked up today!

20171230_190020.jpg20171230_145701.jpg20171231_161124.jpg20180102_204311.jpg20180103_084545.jpg20180104_091733.jpg20180104_091750.jpg20180104_194622.jpg

Edit 8Jan18: 

20180108_082857.jpg

12jan18:

20180112_211355.jpg

13jan18:

20180113_150603.jpg

22jan18:

25jan18: new light. Aqua Helios R120

15apr18

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 5

It's starting to sink in at this point.  I'm super excited by the encroaching reality of my dream tank.   I actually matched the tank to the room and decided a peninsula would be best.  Since that decision and subsequent research and reading I've really come to love the aesthetic.   Two giant viewable sides is great. 

Jeff at C&C definitely pushed me over the edge when I saw his.  After he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse we took the plunge and bought it.  

Rock shipment (100 lbs) from reefrocks.net is on the way.   Really excited to build and have some cool aquascape ideas to work with.  My main idea is one big arch with a little built up around the bases.  Hopefully 1/4"-1/2" acrylic rods in drilled holes filled with IC-Gel will make this possible.  Reefrocks is cutting three large rocks in half for me so the base of the arch will sit completely flat on the bottom. 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

It's starting to sink in at this point.  I'm super excited by the encroaching reality of my dream tank.   I actually matched the tank to the room and decided a peninsula would be best.  Since that decision and subsequent research and reading I've really come to love the aesthetic.   Two giant viewable sides is great. 

Jeff at C&C definitely pushed me over the edge when I saw his.  After he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse we took the plunge and bought it.  

Rock shipment from reefrocks.net is on the way.   Really excited to build and have some cool aquascape ideas to work with.  My main idea is one big arch with a little built up around the bases.  Hopefully 1/4"-1/2" acrylic rods in drilled holes filled with IC-Gel will make this possible.  Reefrocks is cutting three large rocks in half for me so the base of the arch will sit completely flat on the bottom. 

Sounds really sharp - so looking forward to seeing this come to life!  The two viewable sides really opens up the options for some creative rock scaping. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Super excited to see this come together. Thanks for letting me be apart of it. See u Saturday! 

:highfive:

Thanks for being a part of it!  It made a huge impact being able to see the exact tank we were looking at already set up in your shop.  The whole family is really excited for this.  The wife and kids all really love the hobby and have been very supportive of me pursuing it.  I'm obviously beside myself with excitement at this point.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a plumber out here to talk about putting the utility sink in the garage for my water mixing/changing area.  That isn't going to work because of the lack of drain and I don't want to add one.  He had a good idea of running the waste line into the outside storm drain which would be the easiest answer.  The source line for my RO/DI would be coming from a T on the water heaters line.  He said it would take him 4 hours and cost $750.  

Does this seem ridiculous?  Can I just do this myself?  Any handy people around that don't want to rob me for providing me an RO/DI source in my garage?  I know that's what happens when you call plumbers and electricians and I was willing to spend a few hundred for the work but that was waaaaay more than I was anticipating for less result than I was expecting.  

How/where do you all have your permanent RO/DI lines hooked up?  At this rate I think I might just run a T somewhere completely different and easier and just run the 1/4" source line under the house.  Yeesh.  Help!

Edited by youcallmenny

21 minutes ago, chewie said:

Just use a Y splitter and 1/4" adapter on your cold supply for your washing machine. Run the waste line from your rodi down the washing machine drain. Should cost about $20. 

If your washing machine is anywhere near this is a great solution for that piece of the puzzle.

• Like 1

All mine is plumbed in the garage................

Simple cut in copper and soldered in a T and put a water valve in the garage.

And in todays world they make the shark bite stuff or whatever it is called that's a simple plug and play no solder involved.

39 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Very true.  I have found that cats enjoy chewing on it however so best to make sure there aren’t any tempting spots to grab onto. 

I have unfortunately experienced this as well.  In fact I would go so far as to say that they really like it.  Luckily it's up and out of the way for the most part.  Fingers crossed.  

7 minutes ago, spectra said:

All mine is plumbed in the garage................

Simple cut in copper and soldered in a T and put a water valve in the garage.

And in todays world they make the shark bite stuff or whatever it is called that's a simple plug and play no solder involved.

Seems like that's all he was going to do.  As we discussed, the drain the was the ultimate problem.  He provided me a pretty good answer of running it down the storm drain so his visit was at least worth that.  When I really thought about paying that and after seeing @chewie's suggestion, I decided pretty quickly that I needed to rethink my approach.  I've just mounted the RO/DI in the laundry room and will use the cold line on the washer as a source and the drain for the waste line.  I'm just going to run the product line through the floor and down into the garage reservoirs.  

Stray question: I think I need to run the product line down through the top of the countertop.  The countertop is right behind the utility sink so it needs to not leak splashed water through.  Is silicone enough to seal this or is there a better answer? 

Edited by youcallmenny

31 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

I have unfortunately experienced this as well.  In fact I would go so far as to say that they really like it.  Luckily it's up and out of the way for the most part.  Fingers crossed.  

Stray question: I think I need to run the product line down through the top of the countertop.  The countertop is right behind the utility sink so it needs to not leak splashed water through.  Is silicone enough to seal this or is there a better answer? 

Cats:rolleyes: 

Ok I think you are saying the line is going to go through the counter top or ?

I would think if you are using your cold water it should be in the wall ? 

Post a pic or text me one and can see what your working with.

That sounds like a lot of work. Wouldn't it be easier to tap into the water heater like spectra said with the tee fitting. There are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how to braze a pipe. If you have the flex hose at the top of the water heater they might even have a tee fitting you can just screw on. Do you happen to have a hose spigot on one of the exterior walls of your garage? I just tapped into it from inside the garage. I then ran my waste line down the side of the garage and into the gutter down spout which runs to the street.

Thank you for the suggestion.   I'm watching your Red Sea as well!  :clap:No, running a 1/4" line through the floor right above my reservoir from a threaded Y is way easier than cutting and welding literally anything.  Furthermore, tapping in to that line can't use a pex T because it's too close to the wall or something according to the plumber.  There's just literally no reason to use that source.  Upstairs was waaaaaay easier. 

Also the plumber was really clear you absolutely never tap into a hose line like that because the anti siphon that those lines use can cause problems when tapped in to for this reason.  In fact, I might go so far as to say you might want to make sure your choice isn't violating code.   Not going to lie either,  I hope that isn't the case for you but this task is done and I am just repeating what he said.  Not much interested in debating whether or not, though I hope it isn't a problem for you. I asked him because I have one that would work but that was his adamant response.  At any rate, it's already done and was very easy.  Gotta keep it simple! 

edit:

20171227_151243.jpg

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1