New to saltwater

Manny Tavan

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

Welcome! Nice Red Sea tank!  Looking good so far! Funny how you say the hobby is fun and stressful. When something goes wrong in my tank and I’m pissed off af my tank , I sometimes grit my teeth and say this is sooo relaxing !:laugh:

It’s a lot of stress even when everything is going well. Always worried about a leak? About my skimmer overflowing, about a snail dying and crashing the tank. Not sure when all the worrying is going to stop lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

It’s a lot of stress even when everything is going well. Always worried about a leak? About my skimmer overflowing, about a snail dying and crashing the tank. Not sure when all the worrying is going to stop lol

I don't think it ever really stops... you just start to get numb to it after a while.  Either that or you tear it all down one day in a fit of frustration :shock:  Hopefully you never get to that point.

Welcome BTW - looks like you are off to a good start and have already discovered at least one of our helpful LFSs here in town.  There are some others listed on the sponsor page that can also be a good resource as well as the community here on the forum.  Lots of experience amongst this user group so they can certainly help in answering questions and giving advice to help you avoid some of the more stressful situations you could face.

Good luck!

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

I don't think it ever really stops... you just start to get numb to it after a while.  Either that or you tear it all down one day in a fit of frustration :shock:  Hopefully you never get to that point.

Welcome BTW - looks like you are off to a good start and have already discovered at least one of our helpful LFSs here in town.  There are some others listed on the sponsor page that can also be a good resource as well as the community here on the forum.  Lots of experience amongst this user group so they can certainly help in answering questions and giving advice to help you avoid some of the more stressful situations you could face.

Good luck!

Jeff at cuttle fish has been awesome but I’ve also been at pretty much all the LFS within a 20 mile radius numerous times :) i’m pretty sure I have a coral, fish or snail from all those places. Can’t wait to get more 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2017 at 6:43 PM, Manny Tavan said:

Yeah i’m probably filling too fast for such a  “young system” but I couldn’t resist

Nice looking tank. I know every tank is different but when i setup my first tank a few years ago I started out with a bunch of acros right after it was cycled because I didn't want to be patient. I just dosed red sea reef energy heavily to account for low nutrients until everything balanced out and never lost a single frag. The only hard part I would say about adding stuff to a new system is you have be prepared to deal with all the nuisances that come with a new tank and stay on top of them. I don't think the worrying ever ends though lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Quick update. The tanks is now 4 months old. Last month I lost half of my corals and the other half was dying. Sent a icp test and the results two weeks later showed an aluminum level over 100. I quickly removed the 4 quarts of marinepure spheres I had in a sump and did 5 30% water changes over a week. The corals that weren’t competely dead are recovering but aren’t looking good. For some reason, zoas and mushrooms were unaffected. 

Then today, i decided to empty my chaeto reactor and noticed a lot of salt creep on it. Turns out he marinedepot dyi chaeto reactor wasn’t well thought out and the heat of the led strips cracked the plastic. Could have been a disaster but looks like I caught it in time. 

B3610654-AD09-4801-A3F4-24F00DC67AEF.png

753F558E-75BC-45AE-8EF2-2CD9DD4D7536.jpeg

A0ED64AE-1420-4C8F-B9C6-FC12912F61B0.jpeg

60336440-9259-45AD-BBDA-3422F60C2C42.jpeg

90196BEE-F524-4ACF-AE9E-9601B6F5E9E9.jpeg

Edited by Manny Tavan