December 2017 Holiday Meeting Pics

badxgillen

Another annual PNWMAS December holiday meeting success!

This meeting we went with a change in venues and the decision to have it held at the Kennedy School was a good one. We rented out a class room for the club and provided some food and drinks, all which was staffed by the onsite restaurant. Very convenient.

SAM_4174.JPG

There were some interesting pizza choices here. There was the classic pepperoni as well as a zucchini broccoli pesto. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

SAM_4298.JPG

So many faces and so little  time, you would think that 3 hours would be enough but it was not. after all the raffles, white elephant gift exchange, frag swap, food & drink, there was just enough time exchange words with a few people. If I didn't get to converse with you or snap a photo I apologize, there will be a next time I assure you that. That being said, here are some shots of some mighty fine folks...

SAM_4151.JPG

Our club treasurer and zoa collector Mr.Bret. He keeps our accounts in line and assists with obtaining and holding PNWMAS raffle prizes. Thank You Sir!...He is also the main man at Paradise Corals of Hillsboro, a collection of fine corals, fine art, and fine fishes..and lets not forget about the jellyfish and seahorses.SAM_4156.JPG

Stylaster made it down from Washington and glad he did, he always brings some interesting conversation to the table. Another sponsor who has been apart of the PNWMAS for some time, Roy runs Pacific Corals in Long View Washington and brings in some island fire. Hope those little baby chalices work out for you, they are Sloooow growing, but beauties. And as you know, there will be more my friend.

SAM_4378ddf.jpg

Glittering like priceless gems is FancyFins. Another valuable member of our Board Of Directors. You may have seen her and Albertareef doing an outstanding job on announcements and raffles, not to mention their valuable input behind the scenes. Thank You Cherany.

SAM_4147.JPG

Reefer madness playing with the PAR meter before it goes off to another set of hands. I got some montiporas you need to snag next time you run through Corvallis my friend. Make sure that urchin and cowrie stay in the sump though. Once the lights go out they will head towards your new frags like a heat seeking missile.

SAM_4211.JPG

Danlu here, this guy is one innovative reefer. He has made a few designs to improve his reefing game and has been employing his 3D printer in his aquatics related business Reefi Labs. He makes some very impressive, efficient, and powerful LED lighting that I know grows some very colorful corals. I hope all those acros work out for you, if they don't I will get you some more...If they do, I will get you some more.

SAM_4291.JPG

NRC enjoying the holiday cheer, there was certainly a festive cheer in the air making many people all around jolly. I wish I got to have some words with you but I made the mistake of divvying my time poorly. There will be another meeting next month so maybe I will se you then. Cheers my friend.

SAM_4306.JPG

SASQUATCH FOUND! Derek used to be a zoanthid hoarder but has since moved into the realm of gorgonians. If you ever get back into the colonial polyp coral game get ahold of me first, and I will give you many of them back. And don't be afraid to drop me a line if you head south through Corvallis yeah.

SAM_4259.JPG

Biochemrobyn, Congratulations!! And good luck with the move to Texas, it will be quite a change thats for sure. Hopefully you can find a reefer group as cool as ours here in the Pacific North West...Either way don't hesitate to drop in here once in a while and say whats up, most of us are not going anywhere soon.

SAM_4202.JPG

Gumby, on the left, also made a long trip from Washington to attend the get together. Very cool guy! He has helped us with the boys and girls club events we have held and he does some aquarium work for tanks for teachers in the Vancouver Washington area...Not to mention he has a vast coral collection that would have many of us in envy...Much like Gill&Fin to the right here. She has some of the most beautiful systems around, so neat and tidy. She does great work for our PNWMAS club here behind the scenes acting as an important member of the Board of Directors. Thank You Holly, Thank You Jim.

SAM_4288.JPG

On the far left we have Grassi, and on the far right we have Reefrun. I didn't get the chance to meet their son but I imagine we will cross paths again at a future meeting. Both very kind people who have a knack for reefing. If I had brought more cash I would have bought one of those corals you had but I spent my cash on food and raffle tickets. I need to get my priorities straight again.

SAM_4404.JPG

Youcalmenny and his family center of the picture. If I am not mistaken he just got done making a move into a house. This probably means some upgrading at some point yeah. I wanted to talk some with you about that but you know how that goes. I am sorry I didn't get back at you after you threw me that chalice but I will most certainly get you back when your ready for a frag or two...Just give me the word.

SAM_4410.JPG

Kai and his family also made it out to our little shindig. As far as the corals we were talking about Kai, you may need to dip them every few days for a couple weeks or get a wrasse who is hungry for small crustaceans and other inverts. Sometimes even beneficial copopods can bloom to such populations that they actually irritate the polyps themselves causing the retraction and irritation. Throw up a thread if you have any more questions yeah. nd good seeing you man.

SAM_4316.JPG

FishoutofWater, another member who has been around for a little while. Here he is getting in on some of that raffle action we all love so much.Which to choose, which to choose? Ad as usual, there is no wrong choice, it's ALL good.

SAM_4312.JPG

Kknight far right and her husband sitting at the cool kids table, as usual. Karen is our Head of the Tanks for Teachers and leads the way for several participants in the program.  Without her help there would be alot less marine activity in those kids classrooms. Thanks Karen. OH! And I barely missed that Fireball on the table, by a smidgen. Things were starting to get hot in here, a white elephant gift no doubt. It's Christmas early my friends.

SAM_4302hy.jpg

From left to right people waiting for their number to be called it's Rick, Reefer Madness, his wife , JFry, and HigherThinking. There was so much loot in the raffles and so many participants in the gift exchange it wouldn't surprise me if almost everyone's number was called at some point...Okay, not everyone's, and not Andrew's, he isn't feeling that lucky streak. Just Joshin you Andrew. say hi to Lauren for us.

SAM_4414.JPG

Or maybe it just has to do with that gift exchange?...Like DejaVu, this singing is ringing in my ears. Don't worry, this is one Bieber you would let near your mouth...Maybe? Spectra didn't make a showing so it had to go home with someone, hope he is alright with that.

SAM_4273.JPG

Kelly Limpet on the left and OptimusPrime on the right.Dodge has some pretty nice zoas just growing awayin his tanks. If that Shazam doesn't work out for you let me know and I iwll get you another one. They are finicky at first but once they get growing it is pretty productive. Kelly here had the most amazing shirt I had seen all day, well next to Cherany's. He has a custom PNWMAS shirt that had me envious as soon as I saw it. I just love the back, so I took a picture.

SAM_4365.JPG

Funny  thing is, as I read this I heard it at the same time in Don knotts's voice...Does that mean I am old or just well versed?

SAM_4195.JPG

This picture came out Amazingly good, like it needs some Christmas reef around the edges and a bow. Just look at  . Emerald, CuttlefishndCorals, Kknight, and Sirena all in on the group hug. Kim is ourr fearles president who helps keep the ball rolling here at PNWMAS, we appreciate your hard work Kim.  Then Jeff in the center is a helluva team player here at PNWMAS, providing massive discounts for or Tanks For Teachers program along with finding us the best raffle prizes he can when we ask. He also happens to be one of our fine sponsors running the amazing Cuttlefish and Corals found in Portland Oregon. If your around the area you need to stop in his shop, there is a little bit of everything, you are sure to find something you want and need there. Karen as you know is our Tanks For Teachers leader and has served on the Board of Directors for quite a while now, thanks again Karen. Bottom we have the first lady, Sirena. She has done an astounding job contributing in all sorts of our PNWMAS affairs when she can. From planning and cooking to setup and logistics. We all are greatfull for those hours you put in to our club that go without being seen. Your Awesome!

Some of these next pictures are from when we handed out the quizzes...That's right, we made reef quizzes for all the attendees and we even had prizes for the top scores. We had three categories containing what we Thought were appropriate questions for the three different difficulty levels, novice, intermediate, and advanced. If you see someone in one of these pictures Teed off, it is probably my fault.

SAM_4257.JPG

Trailerman isn't afraid here, he has his thinking cap on and is doing just fine. There is alot to learn in this hobby and each category had some easy questions and some rather difficult ones. Even the beginner test had a couple ones that made you think. Super Fun!

SAM_4251.JPG

Left is Sharklover and next to him is Ken. Both are getting busy on the quiz. These two are pretty trustowrthy guys. I don't have t worry about them using the cell phone or sharing answers. Let us know when you got your setups running and then maybe we can trade some frags.

SAM_4239.JPG

I Also love this picture. They are clearly frustrated with yours truly. Who Writes this Stuff!? Far left is Paratore. He runs West Coast Corals, in Monmouth Oregon, and does a great job. He has some high end pieces for sure, better grab those sunglasses if your going to see those anemones and corals. Middle is R-3. As I have said a few times already, let me know when you want a couple corals for your newe setup and I will grab you something nice. Maybe some time I can come by and check things out. I love seeing other setups. Same goes for you Exodus, on the right. That is, if your still down. I got some frags for your new setup anyhow. 

SAM_4162.JPG

Higher Thinking, Emerald, and Sirena laughing it up. These people all have some very good energy to them. Just enjoying themselves at another PNWMAS event.

SAM_4359.JPG

Almost as much as this guy. Sharklover takes home the Gold...Apex that is. When I spoke with him it sounded like it is going to some good use. Congratulations.

SAM_4349.JPG

Rick snagged the Vortech! OH, I think I actually wanted that one. As long as it is going to be used to grow coral I am happy I suppose. But really, congratulations as well.

SAM_4333.JPG

Whoa, its the rare and elusive Badxgillen , looks like I am getting that winter coat for hibernation. Raffle wise I actually snagged myself a gift card for the Salem Oregon Premium Aquarium. Yet another amazing store full of goodness. Talk about a good excuse to go to Salem! Who want to roll with!?

SAM_4355.JPG

And speaking of laughter, look at these three! I don't know whats making them laugh but I know that they crack me up. What a team we all make, its always a good time with the right chemistry of people. you probably know the people to right and to the left but in the middle we have Albertareef, a great asset to our club who rightfully sits on our PNWMAS Board Of Directors. Thank You Shaun.

Well folks, thats about it for my brief recollections.

I do want to make my usual thanks to all the office members, the Board Of Directors, the Sponsors, and all the PNWMAS crew that make all this possible. Most of you know it but some of you don't, and some just need a reminder, I Love you ALL. Much appreciated..Until next time...

I hope you all enjoyed the party.

SAM_4296.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It was so fun seeing everyone! And yes, I do love playing Price Is Right model with those raffle items, can't deny it!

I'll toss another picture into the mix. This is Zoolander, myself, and Albertareef, clearly all quite pleased with the shindig! Maybe it was my big lotto win that had me so excited! (For those not there, I scored lottery tickets in the white elephant exchange. Thought I won $5, but I actually won $9! I will soon forget all your names now that I'm a bigshot lotto winner!)

DSC_0371sm.jpg

• Like 8

Big thanks to Bert for always taking pics at the meetings! Your posts are great even for those of us who were there, because it helps put names to faces after we're home and realize we forgot to catch names while chatting with people.

Congratulations to Roy & Jim for being the top scoring members of Bert's super advanced trivia quiz! Those guys both scored 80%, if I recall correctly. Couple of smarty pants in the house! :applause:

• Like 2

Awesome pics as always Bert!  I know I’ve said it before but bears repeating... your recaps are always one of my favorite things about the meetings. Somehow you manage to catch all the action and still add great tidbits and details that bring it all to life - even for those of us who were there. As Cherany mentioned, it’s also a great way to put faces to names and get to know the club members better. 

Thanks again for all your work with these write ups and everything else you do for the club. Maybe next year I will be brave enough to tackle the reef trivia quiz (beginner level of course).

P.S. Sorry @spectra I tried to snag that Bieber toothbrush for you but someone beat me to it 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PowderBlue said:

So bummed out that I missed this, had a sick kiddo, probably best since I was planning on wearing that same sparkle shindig as Cherany. Hahaha. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear your little one was sick. Would have loved to catch up on the new tank. Hopefully next month. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Thanks for taking pictures Bert!  We all had a great time hanging out and catching up.  Lunch at the courtyard resteraunt was delicious.  

Glad you and the family made it up. Sorry we didn’t have more time to talk about the new build - raffle tickets were too popular!  Nice that you got to enjoy the venue a bit outside the meeting - definitely one of their more whimsical locations. 

• Like 2

Bert as always excellent job on the pictures and narration...:clap: You are truly one of the greatest assets to this club and judging from those RIDICULOUS advanced questions :shock: (this was my actual face taking those questions) you are also a wealth of knowledge

Thanks Holly , Flashy (who lived up to her name at the event) and Bert for coming up with the quiz questions

Thanks Sean and Flashy for running the raffle

Thanks again MrBret for getting us the good deals on the raffle items and really having a lot to do with the idea of getting some of these high dollar raffle items!

Thanks Sean for finding the venue for the part. Kennedy school is awesome and I received lots of comments of how fancy and nice it was! Would love to have another event here. :clap:

Oh and I think I was laughing so hard when Cherany said that all the winners of the brain quiz should meet her in the corner for a prize....:joking: 

It was a great time! Thanks everyone for coming!

• Like 5