ato suggestions

featherblue

I have heard the IM is ok but can be a PITA......Tunze works well for a lot of people. I run a smart one on my little tank and on the big one a Spectrapure unit and love it. I have my ATO container in the garage 30 feet from my tank.     I do not like to look at a water container.

the problem with the autotopoff and aquahub purely mechanical top offs is there is no timer to shut them off. Most of the time they work great... lets say 99% of the time but those float switches DO fail.

I once topped off about 200 gallons onto my basement floor with the aquahub premium ato. That was a super fun time. There were power strips floating in the water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have crazy combo that’s been bulletproof for years. Autotopoff.com ATO on a timer for 15 minutes 4 times a day, tied inline direct to ro/di and manual ball float valve. I’d be happy to walk you through it if you wanted to come take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had various float based designs over the years, but once I moved to Hydor ATO, I was sold. Extremely accurate control with over/under alarms and timers to prevent over filling. I have it setup to turn on a  12V 1/4" wet solenoid that is connected directly to a dedicated RODI system, meaning I never have to fill up reservoirs. 

17 minutes ago, HenryLimpet said:

I have the JBJ A.T.O and the float is crap. It is constantly sticking! I am going to look at the Hydor for sure. I fill my reservoir (which is part of my sump) by hand because but I am scared of what happen to PDXmonkeyboy. I don't have basement so it would very bad.

Just so you know you can purchase a new JBJ switch for cheaper than a Hydor Setup. Also the JBJ has a built in Timer, I think the preset is 10 Min? Open the case and you can manually adjust it down to 3 minutes. If you decide on a  Hydor, It uses a Temp Sensor that by all means "Not" the quickest to pick up that it is of correct level. It then slightly overflows (Top Sensor) which will have you listening to an annoying alarm. So Just be sure to pair the Hydor ATO with an Aqua lifter or a peristaltic pump for slow water movement for the best results.

Edited by Exodus
Additional info

If money isn’t a huge option, the Spectrapure upllc is the best ATO I’ve used. It pumps from anywhere (garage) and can run dry, has the ability to set how long it runs and uses a vacuum tube with a backup float switch. I’m just now replacing the rollers and tubes on mine from 2015 but other than that, it works like day one. 

Plus the company is rad, and very helpful.