Just ordered my Red Sea Peninsula 650. Need suggestions for floor.

youcallmenny

@CuttleFishandCoral Thanks Jeff!  Got a screaming good deal and always happy to spend money at a great store.  

The picture shows where the tank is going to go.  The desks will be pushed several feet further apart.  It's all carpeted and the plan is to rip that out down the the wood and tile it with 12x12.  Any suggestions for another kind of floor that isn't linoleum?  Any suggestions specifically for tiling a floor that's going to hold a large aquarium?  At the old place I tiled both bathrooms and the kitchen so I have a little bit of experience doing it and most importantly a decent wet-wheel tile cutter.  I've not done tile to carpet transitions though.  Should I use hardy board under and is there a specific transition strip for this?  This is on the second floor (technically the main floor) over the garage.  Am I insane for putting this large (~170g total volume) of a tank upstairs?  There is definitely a floor joist directly center between those two windows, centered right where the tank is going.  Is that enough? 

I'm doing a happy dance; internally. :yippee::clap::highfive:

(Ignore the cables, still setting up and haven't gotten to the wife's desk yet. :joking:

20171201_140026.jpg

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 2

It all depends on how much you want to spend/do. 

If the tank is centered over the joist, you want to spread that weight across at least 1 more joist.  Preferably 2. 

You can add supports under the tank that run perpendicular to the joists and then add floor jacks to give more support. Knowing nothing about your homes construction I can't say for sure though. 

I would definitely look into it....

• Like 1

Scott - Not sure on the decking but about to pull the carpet up anyways.  I can get back to you on that.  According to my deep stud finder, the joists are 16".  The tank is 26" wide.  If it's centered on the middle one, the edges would only be 4" away from the next joist on either end.  Also the one narrow end would be up against the wall.  Thoughts?  What's the easiest way to check the thickness? 

Chewie - Perpendicular supports are a great idea and I think feasible for me.  Vertical supports would be a no-go.  The only issue is the garage is right under and it has an almost 20' ceiling, not to mention it would put a post right inside the garage door which wouldn't be good.  Do the things I said above change your thoughts at all?  Is adding those kind of supports difficult?  I'm going to have the floorboard exposed anyway.  Any suggestions on how best to accomplish this?  Just cut holes in the floorboard and screw some crossways 2x6's in?

Edited by youcallmenny

Scott brings up a great point about the thickness of the decking. That definitely helps spread the load but I still would be worried if it were my tank/house. 

Keep in mind that I am not a structural engineer. Without vertical support, any perpendicular supports underneath would be useless anyway. The foor should hold the tank up, no problem. The issue is  rocking side to side...

5 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

@CuttleFishandCoral Thanks Jeff!  Got a screaming good deal and always happy to spend money at a great store.  

The picture shows where the tank is going to go.  The desks will be pushed several feet further apart.  It's all carpeted and the plan is to rip that out down the the wood and tile it with 12x12.  Any suggestions for another kind of floor that isn't linoleum?  Any suggestions specifically for tiling a floor that's going to hold a large aquarium?  At the old place I tiled both bathrooms and the kitchen so I have a little bit of experience doing it and most importantly a decent wet-wheel tile cutter.  I've not done tile to carpet transitions though.  Should I use hardy board under and is there a specific transition strip for this?  This is on the second floor (technically the main floor) over the garage.  Am I insane for putting this large (~170g total volume) of a tank upstairs?  There is definitely a floor joist directly center between those two windows, centered right where the tank is going.  Is that enough? 

I'm doing a happy dance; internally. :yippee::clap::highfive:

(Ignore the cables, still setting up and haven't gotten to the wife's desk yet. :joking:

20171201_140026.jpg

Greg call me 360-904-7666. I’m using  a new product I absolutely think is the bomb. 

• Like 1

Brian I literally came home with all the tiling supplies from the hardware store this evening.  Are you coming tomorrow?  Would love to chat about it!  I think the biggest concern currently is if the floor can support it.  My step-father suggested that I build a frame for it to sit on that would disperse the weight out directly on to the next two joists.  I think this idea has merit.  Any ideas why that would or wouldn't work? 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 2

If it is newer construction I would assume these are I beams and are pretty good construction  esp on second floor. For what it’s worth the way houses are built today with all the hurricane straps and required bracing I would not hesitate for a second to put that tank upstairs.  In fact I had my 200 in my loft two houses ago and never once worried about it dutcto today’s construction materials and engineering. Do you know for sure which way the floor joists are running is the decking 3/4” 1” or 1 1/8”. Often times they put 3/4” with 3/8” particle board depending on flooring types to be installed   If you can run the tank perpendicular to floor joists that would be best to encompass several under the tank. If it is parallel if u could get it on two joists I would sleep fine at night  

Build the stand, put the tank on it and put a level perpendicular on the top of the tank. 

Bounce on either side of the long end of the tank and see if the bubble moves. 

If so, I'd consider other options. If not, fill it with freshwater and repeat  

It doesn't look like much foot traffic will be going on next to your tank the way your desks are set up but it would concern me if the tank will shift weight frequently due to the design of the stand. Cam lock fasteners are fine under normal conditions but prolonged weight shifting will loosen/stretch them out over time.

I have a Reefer 525, I worry about that on mine. It sits perpendicular on 3, 2 x 12 joists and a 4 x 8 beam. It rocks ever so slightly when full with my 230lb tookus  bouncing in front of the tank. No running going on in my living room!