Generator Sizing

Jeremevans

I'm considering buying a generator. The problem is I don't know anything about them. How do you figure out what size would be needed?

I have a large system that is plumbed to the garage so there is a substantial pump and other accessory pumps as well a big heater (and some fail safe heaters that might be needed if the house temp starts dropping).

Is your system running off of one circuit. my guess is yes most likely a 15 amp circuit so pretty much any generator can handle that load. I went with around a 5000w but I am setup to back feed my panel and run lighting and my freezer as well in the house. 

Some equipment can be sensitive to a generator. 

AVR or automtic voltage regulation is a must have feature. 

Unless you get an inverters generator.  It is even nicer and safer for equipment but bigger $$.  Harbor Freight has them for good deals periodically.

This one would definitely do the job for a tank that runs off of one circuit:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

I have a 5750 watt with AVR that back feeds our house when the power goes out, like @Vance164.  It is awesome when the power goes out to fire it up and have power!

Good luck!

6 hours ago, TheClark said:

Some equipment can be sensitive to a generator. 

AVR or automtic voltage regulation is a must have feature. 

Unless you get an inverters generator.  It is even nicer and safer for equipment but bigger $$.  Harbor Freight has them for good deals periodically.

This one would definitely do the job for a tank that runs off of one circuit:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

I have a 5750 watt with AVR that back feeds our house when the power goes out, like @Vance164.  It is awesome when the power goes out to fire it up and have power!

Good luck!

I am curious wouldn't the power supplies on most of our electronic device clean the power since must sensitive equipment is transformed down to 12 or 24v? mine does have an act but am just curious. I know I've done some jobs where they transformer power to the same voltage just to clean it as well. 

45 minutes ago, Vance164 said:

I am curious wouldn't the power supplies on most of our electronic device clean the power since must sensitive equipment is transformed down to 12 or 24v? mine does have an act but am just curious. I know I've done some jobs where they transformer power to the same voltage just to clean it as well. 

Vance, I hate to even try to answer a question from you as you know WAY more about Electricity than I do!! :-)

But for the sake of discussion, here goes...

You would sure think it wouldn't matter with everything converting to DC.  However, most people out there recommend inverter generators for anything electronic.

I have had good luck with our cheaper generator with AVR, but some things act weird like the Insteon light dimmers in the basement. 

All in all, the reef tank runs just fine on the cheaper generator with AVR including the APEX.  Had to do fire up the generator a few times over the years, made the power outtage a non event.  In fact, we ran every 120 circuit in our house, just keep the heat pump and water heater off.  Sweet!

Neighbors were calling us trying to figure out why we had power and they did not :happy:

• Like 2

haha we'e bee

4 hours ago, TheClark said:

Vance, I hate to even try to answer a question from you as you know WAY more about Electricity than I do!! :-)

But for the sake of discussion, here goes...

You would sure think it wouldn't matter with everything converting to DC.  However, most people out there recommend inverter generators for anything electronic.

I have had good luck with our cheaper generator with AVR, but some things act weird like the Insteon light dimmers in the basement. 

All in all, the reef tank runs just fine on the cheaper generator with AVR including the APEX.  Had to do fire up the generator a few times over the years, made the power outtage a non event.  In fact, we ran every 120 circuit in our house, just keep the heat pump and water heater off.  Sweet!

Neighbors were calling us trying to figure out why we had power and they did not :happy:

haha we have been very fortunate in our area for our longest outage being 4 hours in the past few years. knock on wood:moneybag: and I am not all knowing in electrical and am always willing to discuss I was just curious I could see a.c. circuits defintly having issues as lighting surging or motor loads so I suppose your return if ran straight from a receptacle or pumps could be suseptable. 

I have been happy with the Briggs and Stratton P2200 inverter generator.  On line cost was $630.  The Honda line is thought of as the Cadillac of generators, but more expensive.  The standard generators are much cheaper but very loud, heavy, big and lack any features.  I was able to run both fridges, deep freezer, television, and some lights.  Quite convenient.