Yay, success with wall hammers

danlu_gt

Over the years I have purchased a hand full of wall hammers but only for them to perish quickly within 2 months. Branching hammers I have great success with. I suspected that I have been burning the wall hammers with too much light.

My latest attempt on walls are doing great. Now that I have a spare frag tank connected to the same system, I can tune my lights for them without having to find shaded portions in my display tank. I suspect even with low PAR like 50, these corals may not be used to those spectrum of light. This time I started super low at max of 20-30par for few hours at day. After about 10 days, I bump up the PAR by 5% every few days just to be conservative. Now 2 months later they are at 85 PAR. My goal is to get them to around 120-150 PAR.

Surprisingly, at such low PAR the Montipora was still able to grow....well, much slower than those at 300 PAR.0174b493479c774bac70844be1f4f2d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Those are very nice!

My wall hammer lasted almost 2 years until I damaged it with my arm when reaching into the tank.  I have several little wall hammers that sprouted from that one though. 

Edited by cjmdh
  • Like 1

I just checked the PAR mine is at and it sits around 150. It is super happy right now, measuring about 12" across.

Sorry about the funky pictures. My blues are on and my photoshop skills need some honing.7ba200eb4a9fb2d00901b6a0925e05c9.jpg46e956e2c5a21513ea5ad5a43746e14d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I just checked the PAR mine is at and it sits around 150. It is super happy right now, measuring about 12" across.

Sorry about the funky pictures. My blues are on and my photoshop skills need some honing.7ba200eb4a9fb2d00901b6a0925e05c9.jpg46e956e2c5a21513ea5ad5a43746e14d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Those are super nice. Holly, if you frag that toxic neon green branching hammer, please put me down for one. I recently lost mine. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk