Sps polyp extension and flow?

Taylorhardy1

Hey guys. Figure one of you may be able to help me out here. I've been trying so hard to make my acros have the awesome pe I see in so many other tanks, and I simply can't figure it out. I recently got another blue digi frag, and man, the pe is insane on it. I've never seen digis get like this, and the thing is it's in a lower flow spot. I've been trying to increase flow because I was thinking that was the issue with my acros. Right now with just the powerheads I have the ability to move 5400gph, as well as my return pump that's rated to 1600gph. My pumps run in cycles, with a few seconds of all running at the same time. Water parameters are solid- gha is from me getting lazy with my rodi maintenance. Is it time to accept that maybe the species of acros I have just have shorter polyps? Crappy iPhone pictures for reference.

image.jpg

IMG_1924.JPG

image.jpg

Looks pretty good honestly!  The only time I see longer is if it's a millepora/pocillopora/stylophora or something shaggy like that.  That said, acros do have very long polyps that typically come out at night.  Things like phyto, aminos and small particulate frozen often stimulate mine to full extension during the day.  They're all pretty different though.  Apologies for not having a more acute answer for you.

• Like 2

Basically what @youcallmenny said.  Looks pretty good to me from what I can see based on the types of coral .  I would say as a general rule, lots of water movement but not blasted by direct flow is best. I have actually had digis retract their polyps when a power head shifted and they started getting too much direct flow vs. indirect current so there can be too much of a good thing.  That said, there are some true pros on here who can probably add more nuance to this (and likely will :D).

It's so interesting to me. I've got another blue digi frag right next to it, and it's the same length polyps it's always had. My OCD just kicks in and I always want everything to be perfect and happy. Considering the growth I get, 9 times out of 10 I'm chasing something entirely irrelevant though it seems. My hydnophora has just gotten me addicted to fuzzy looking corals😂 Just got what I believe is my first Millie yesterday, starting to get nice pe, but it's definitely adjusting to my lights and flow still.

image.jpg

Polyp extension is something that I really don't pay much attention to. In nature, SPS feed at night, so polyps will be there in the evening hours. All I really care about anymore is are they growing!! If they are growing and you are having problems keeping your alkalinity above 8 and your calcium above 400, then things are good............................lol. JMHO :)

• Haha 1