Sign in to follow this  
albertareef

Holiday Party/Dec. Meeting Details!

Hello all,

It's almost time for the annual PNWMAS December Meeting/Holiday Party so thought it would be good to share some additional details.

As noted in the save the date thread, this year's event will be at the McMenamin's Kennedy school location in NE Portland (https://www.mcmenamins.com/kennedy-school).  Our event will be from 1-4 PM on Saturday Dec. 2nd in the Jordan room which is located at the back of the building.  Directions and a map of the location are both available from the link above.  It is located just north of Killingsworth St.on 33rd ave.

For those that don't know, this is the building that housed the Kennedy grade school (where I actually attended back in the day) and our meeting will be in one of the old classrooms - hope that doesn't cause anyone bad flashbacks!  There are many things to do there including a movie theater showing recent big release movies and a nice, heated, outdoor soaking tub as well as multiple small pub and restaurant spaces if anyone wants to make an adventure out of it.  There also appears to be rooms available for Friday and Saturday night for any out-of-towners who might want to get there early or stay late (too much beer perhaps?).

Food:  The club will be providing some "snackable" pizza (small cut pieces) in a few varieties - Green w/ Envy, BBQ chicken, Margherita, and Pepperoni - as well as salad and non-alcoholic beverages (ice tea, lemonade, water).  If you would like something different or more substantial, you will be able to order "to go" in one of the restaurants and bring it back to our space.  For those wishing to enjoy one of the many adult beverages, there will be a dedicated server in the room to take drink orders (non-hosted).  As noted above, there are several dinning options in the building so you could come early/stay late and indulge in one of those options as well and keep your hand free for other activities during the meeting!

Activities:  As you may have already noticed, our industrious VP, @badxgillen, has started a frag swap thread for this event

and it sounds like we might have some action happening there so check it out.  Please note, we wont have a frag tank available.

Also, as per usual, we will have a fantastic collection of items up for raffle again this year and you can keep track of those on the special raffle thread that @Emerald525 started for us...  Raffle tickets will be available for $5 each or 5 for $20 with paid members getting one free.

There are plans to repeat the white elephant gift exchange (recommended value of $10) of "reef related" items (please ignore @spectra's Justin Bieber suggestions in the save the date thread - it will be better for all of us).

To top it all off, I believe some of our more reef-geeky members (I will let you guess who) have been working on some trivia questions for you all!  Stay tuned!

Not sure how we will fit all of this in but we will do our best!  Hopefully many of you will be able to make it and share some food, fun and reef-talk with the rest of us as we finish off another calendar year of PNWMAS-sponsored events.  It's been a great year for the club and hopefully all of you as well so let's celebrate it together.

See you there!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Sean for the information! This is going to be one of the best meetings of the year! Kennedy school is a very fun venue and just like all the McMenamin's facilities they have great food and microbrews!

:clap:

• Like 2

How can I make a Justin Bieber starfish......................hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm :laugh: now you have me thinking Sean............

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, spectra said:

How can I make a Justin Bieber starfish......................hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm :laugh: now you have me thinking Sean............

Haha!  I broke my own rule "do not encourage Scott re The Bieber"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Haha!  I broke my own rule "do not encourage Scott re The Bieber"

No encouragement needed ;) Watch out what you say I may have to put one of these on your car :laugh: See the source image

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, spectra said:

No encouragement needed ;) Watch out what you say I may have to put one of these on your car :laugh: See the source image

Making mental note to walk to the event this year...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just giving this a pre-meeting bump and added info on raffle ticket prices.  The date is fast approaching (this Saturday!) so hopefully you all have been able to clear your calendars for this event.  Should be fun!

• Like 3

Got my sequin sweater washed and ready! :cheer:

Shopping for white elephant gift tonight. :mermaid:

READY TO PARTY! :peace:

• Like 3

Yes, these are some good highlights here Albertareef...And no I don't mean the Bieber! I think some people will want to take a second glance at how much will be going on this Saturday so they can get their priorities straight and make sure they are at this meeting.

And FlashyFins, you are always Festive! I might be just enough to wear a tie dye tank top but thats about it, no sweaters or Santa hats for me.

• Haha 1

That would be me at a job interview...Tank top, tie, khakis, and army boots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well meeting day is upon us!  I hope you all have your reef trivia game fine tuned, frags cut and white elephant gifts ready for the event... not to mention raffle tickets!

Hope to see you all there soon!

• Like 1

Hopefully everyone has a great time!!!!!! I feel like the weather outside and just couldn't get Justin to come with me so :teardrop: not making it........

Hopefully some good white elephant gifts are exchanged......

• Sad 2

Looks like the room is getting setup and our name is on the door so appears all systems are go!

E58A3607-FAAC-4BDF-8C91-53B8444F9773.jpeg

1228AA4B-8D62-4D24-8A4B-431AA08198E5.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, albertareef said:

Looks like the room is getting setup and our name is on the door so appears all systems are go!

E58A3607-FAAC-4BDF-8C91-53B8444F9773.jpeg

1228AA4B-8D62-4D24-8A4B-431AA08198E5.jpeg

That looks fabulous !! Great job Sean finding the venue!

• Like 2

I think the last time I was at Kennedy School, I was in that very room for a party. This is going to be a blast!

:YayWave:

• Like 2

Thanks Albertareef, Flashyfins, Emerald525 and all the others I am sure I missed.  

It was a great event.   I'm looking forward to the next one.

Nate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nrc said:

Thanks Albertareef, Flashyfins, Emerald525 and all the others I am sure I missed.  

It was a great event.   I'm looking forward to the next one.

Nate

Glad you enjoyed it Nate - it was good to see you there!  We don't do trivia or gift exchanges at all the meetings but do typically have a good time none the less so hopefully you will be make it to some others between now and next December!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      Happy New Year!!!
      To kick things off in 2019 we are going to be taking a trip to one of the most old school salt water shops around, Upscales.

Known for their killer salt water fish, amazing corals, and exotic reptiles, Upscales has a little something for everyone. Join us at the end of the month for a meet and greet at one of our oldest sponsors to get your reef on. I still have my Oregon Tort and my Upscales Microlados but I am sure Travis and his crew will have a plethora of other must have corals in stock that I will be tempted to walk away with, gotta hit up those buy one get another coral half off deals. And they always have nice clams and anemones to choose from as well.
      Here are the basic details below.
      Time---Sunday January the 27th at 1:00PM
      Address---19295 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, OR 97062
      Stay tuned for updates on the event as they roll in, there is always something brewing here in the PNWMAS club.
    • By badxgillen
      Another Awesome December holiday meeting in the bag! Last year we had our gathering further north into Portland where as this year we took it down to the city of Salem. At Wallery's Pizzeria to be exact. We have held a few meets at this venue in the past so it was familiar surroundings to me. The establishment lets us have the whole back room that has 4 large seating tables and a couple smaller tables for us to do the white elephant gift exchange and to get our raffle on. We certainly needed the extra table room as we had developed a large pool of prizes.

You can also see that underneath we have already started a line of coolers, boxes, and styrofoams to accommodate the corals for the frag swap.
      PNWMAS making themselves right at home, despite the automotive decor and draft beer signs the club went straight into reef mode and our salt water conversations permeated the establishment.

At the end of this festive table we have Markvo sitting next to Reefrun and her son. At the head of the table is Jim and Roy and sitting to their right is R-3 Ryan...Included in this pictures FAR left in the stylish Christmas sweater is Youcallmenny.

R-3 and Gumby taking advantage of the meet and greet and having a nice reef discussion. I am always happy to see some of the Washington guys come down south. And Jim, if you still need any coral frags for the Boys and Girls club aquarium hit me up with an address and I will see if I can ship you out a little package. Jim was a major player in having their club host the Annual Frag Festival this year and last, so they have my continued support.

Left here is Kathleen, middle is Garret of The Premium Aquarium, and right we have Lexinverts. All very nice people here, Lexinverts is our Vendors Relations officer here for our club and Garret has been a supporting sponsor for a number of years making contributions when he can. Thanks Guys!

Left in this pic is BicycleBill, middle we have Taylorhardy, and on the right it's optimusprime. Bill, if any frag you get from me doesn't work out for some reason just let me know and I will get another one lined up for you. The cyphastrea I brought was very fresh cut and a little rough,. If you give it a dark spot and not too much flow it will come to and encrust, then color up a lovely bright golden red. Taylor, I hope your new tanks equipment acquisition goes smoothly, and once you have more room keep me in mind and I will cut you a piece of something. Very generous of you to hand out all those Acropora frags to people you have never met, in time the generosity will come back to you for sure. Dodge, you and I should meet up outside a meet sometime and shoot the pooo, I can bring a frag or two and maybe do a trade, or just let me check out the system. I been meaning to make a reefer run up north sometime in the not too distant future.

Garret saying hello to one of the newest coral kids on the block, Dominic and Reefermadness's newborn son. He is SO Tiny!!! Gonna take a while to grow that one out, but so far he is looking like a healthy start.

Gumby sitting down not knowing that FlashyFins is right behind him with a nice pair of rabbit ears. Merry Christmas!!! Cherany is another one of our awesome PNWMAS members who spends a number of unpaid hours working behind the scenes for our club. Thank You Cherany.

Stylaster sharing some of his coral wisdom with Ryan. Roy has been a generous contributing PNWMAS member for years and years and has served as club president on multiple terms. If you ever get a chance to strike up a salt water conversation with him, you should, he is a seasoned salty dog with a wealth of knowledge.

And yet another outstanding member of our club, Albertareef on the right has been a valuable asset to our PNWMAS office and Board Of Directors for a while now, always pitching in on keeping things straight and proper, good man.Here you can see that Flashyfins and Shaun make a stand up team and just knock out the tasks at hand like real pros, they ran the raffle like the veterans they are. 
      And speaking of raffles....

DSBlack gets to add quite a bit more flow to his tank at home with his new Hydor circulation pump. It's always nice to have more flow or a back up pump that's for sure.

Lexinverts took away the AquaMedic Doser pump, I love the brand but have not tried a doser, once you get a chance to put it to the test maybe let us know what you think about it.

Talk about excited here! Youcallmenny gets a winning number pulled and hits it big! The Gyre pump should make some "waves" for you man. Put that thing to good use yeah.

Whats cool here is that from what I understand Brian and Grace here needed an RODI unit. Nice Score man!

Taylor got a brand new Vectra DC pump that will put his big boy tank build on the right track. Check that one off the list right!? 
      The room had less than desirable lighting so many of my pictures were sub par. I did manage to get a couple that came out of the White Elephant but not many unfortunately. Next time I need to bring a flash, usually the ambient lighting at our events is from high lit reef tanks or outside so these incandescent bulbs really made it difficult on my camera.

White elephant gift exchange?... Or Pink elephants gift exchange? Sorry Dodge, you won't be holding onto that Malibu for long, there are a lot of thirsty folks in the room and you got your number drawn so early. By the way, love the VW shirt, represent.

Badxgillen AKA Bert unwrapped a whole box of fine hazzlenut chocolates...And when I say unwrapped, I mean I unwrapped them then and there. I have a little bit of a sweet tooth. I do like to share though so no one missed out on these treats.

BicycleBill unbagging a load of fishy ocean treats, looks like it could b e movie night soon Bill.

FlashyFins got some porcelain ocean life decor to spruce up her bathroom a little.
      After we wrapped up the gift exchange we proceeded to just socialize and eat pizza. I acquired a few new coral frags and met a couple new faces that are on the forum. Combine that with getting to see my old friends and you have a winning combination. Unfortunately, before I knew it, it was time to leave.
      After the meeting many of us went home as the weather left much to be desired, but several of us that don't get to Salem very often made a short trip over to The Premium Aquarium.

As usual the store did not disappoint and was full of aquatic treasure.

Did I mention I like candy?... 

There even just so happened to be a buy 3 get one free deal so you know I had to get myself 4 nice corals before I hit the road.

Tanks looked really good guys, keep up the good work yeah.
      Anyhow, as I mentioned above, the annual holiday meeting did not disappoint, a room full of cool people, good food, killer prizes, and non stop reef talk made for a very fast and full 2 hours. Just like Christmas day, you take all the time to make sure it is a success, but then it is over before you know it.Well, regardless,  I had a Blast folks!
      Thank you all who were able to attend and a BIG thank you to all who helped make it possible, our fine group of officers and BOD. Badxgillen, FlashyFin, Jeremevans, Lexinverts, Albertareef, Lewisfisherman, Youcallmenny, Paratore, Chief, TheClark, and All of our sponsors and All of our members...
      You All ROCK, Reef ON!!!

• By badxgillen
      As mentioned in the December meeting thread the holiday party would make an opportune place/time to have a frag swap so lets get one started here. These are the general guidelines I like to recommend for these coral exchanges.
      If you would like, you can do your trading on the fly by just bringing by a few pieces and hoping that some one will have a desirable coral you want...Or better yet, you can post up what you have to trade and work out a preemptive exchange here on the forums, that method always works best for me. You can feel free to use this thread to post your trade-ables in or start a thread of your own.
      But First, let me get you some of Bert's basis tips for success here.
      1.) make an attempt to have a fragment of reasonable size and health and try and get things cut and ready a few days to a week ahead of time to have the wounds healed up for the exchange. And double/triple check for pest invertebrates or algaes before sending your corals out, we try to keep invasives to a minimum here...And once you get your frags home, just in case, always acclimate the specimens then dip the corals before you put them into your personal aquarium. QT Aquariums are best but good old Revive, Coral RX, Melafix, Iodine, or Bayer will do much better at prevention than nothing.
      2.) Try to package your corals appropriately. This can mean not putting a spiny coral like birds nest into a thin dollar store bag or not utilizing insulation on an extended cold or warm trip. Try a small cooler or Styrofoam. If you can't find either of these and the destination is a long distance, keep the vehicle air conditioned or heated appropriately. As far as packaging goes you can double bag and use thicker mil plastics, or something else like a Tupperware or specimen container. I have even used washed out yogurt or cottage cheese containers that stack well inside the coolers. Just use something that will work, nothing like losing a nice and colorful animal because the bag got too cold and leaked all the water out on the way home.
      3.)Do your best to be courteous and fair to one another by not take advantage of each others ignorance or generosity. These are people of all levels in the hobby so give them the benefit of your knowledge and experience instead of the cold shoulder. And speaking of generosity, that giving nature has always been smiled upon here at PNWMAS and pay it forward tends comes back around these parts.
      Well, the meeting is closing in fast, less than two weeks yeah.
      So Let's see em folks,  Whatcha Got!? Corals that is!
    • By badxgillen
      WHOOP WHOOP!!! It is that time of year again, December is almost upon us and that means it is time for our Annual PNWMAS Holiday Party! I know I used a few too many exclamation points but I am just so garsh darn excited! Here listed below is the need to know so Save that date!
      Basic Information
      Walery's Premium Pizza
      1555 Edgewater St NW, Salem, OR 97304
      December 22nd 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM. 
      The club will order a few pizzas and pitchers to get the festivities started off with, but with the counter to the pizzeria is just 15 feet away you should be able to get whatever you need conveniently. Being a pizza fan I like finding what a friend likes and going in on a pizza to share, variety is the spice of life right?
      Don't forget that we will have the annual White elephant gift exchange to get in on! To participate we recommend bringing a wrapped item someone might appreciate of a $10-$15 value. We will draw numbers to dictate the order of handing out the gifts, and allow for one optional theft of a previous opened present per person. If you have not participated in a white elephant gift exchange before, this may all sound funny, but I assure you it is a riot of a game where everybody has a good time and walks away with something to remember.
      If you are not satisfied with just one gift exchange then don't fret, we have ourselves a good old fashioned frag swap you can get your fix with here. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/44091-december-2018-frag-swap-thread/
      And Last but not Least, we have some amazing prizes from our awesome sponsors and our PNWMAS club, you know we never disappoint. So make sure to bring some cash to buy some tickets and increase those winning odds, and stay tuned for more updates and additions to the raffle prize roster, you all know the PNWMAS December party is always Big!