Basement/Garage Sumps and Construction

youcallmenny

This is a great thread!  I am building out my own garage reef room here, very slow process.  Enjoying the discussion for sure.

What are you doing for flood prevention?  I was thinking about cutting a hole in the slab and putting in a sump pump.  Or a false water proof floor with a drain... not sure..  

• Like 2

This is a great thread!  I am building out my own garage reef room here, very slow process.  Enjoying the discussion for sure.
What are you doing for flood prevention?  I was thinking about cutting a hole in the slab and putting in a sump pump.  Or a false water proof floor with a drain... not sure..  
i would probably go with the latter as you could pretty easily install a sump...but if the floor doesnt slope towards the sump it won't do a whole lot of good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2017 at 1:37 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i would start working on your wife now. While there is a LOT to think about, it is not all that difficult but for each of your "dozen things" there are another 8-10 things that need to be done. And on a finished house, the fees go WAY up for getting the work done by a contractor.

example: i ran a sub panel and all the lighting and outlet circuits in my new workshop in about 3 hours. Thats like 7 different circuits.

It took my about 14 hours in the new house to run the sump to DT plumbing.

You definately need to get someone out to your house before making tons of plans. You can put walls, fans and wires anywhere. Plumbing..specifically drain lines are the real challange.

Also things like sub panels and what not depend a lot on the locations of things and how full your existing system when trying to decide if they are worth it or not.

I should be at the holiday party..

Don't get me wrong, I've got a garage full of hand and power tools.  At the last house we bought it on foreclosure and I had to learn how to fix a lot of things.  I redid all the floors in the entire house, redid the kitchen etc etc.  Point being I hear ya on the myriad of crap that comes with each task.  I was a bit vague I suppose but point being is that I am really grateful to have people like you to ask specific questions of when the time comes. :peace:

21 hours ago, TheClark said:

It's more expensive for sure :saving:, but not much more expensive than having a backup pump sitting on the shelf! 

Makes me feel better anyways :fingerscrossed:

My original plan was to have two identical pumps sitting side by side, both plumbed but behind seperate valves.  One would run and one was going to be off.  It would have been identical to what you have set up I think except for running both at once which is a brilliant idea.  No worries on the cost on this one, pumps are not a piece of gear to play with in this hobby; though what is, really? 

19 hours ago, Vance164 said:

thanks for the tag but I am not a licensed and bonded contractor ( but should be a licensed journeyman by the end of december!!!. and honestly am way to busy with normal work to take on a project right away. but feel free to pick my brain with any questions you may have. If you could do the project yourself it would be a lot cheaper. currently construction is crazy so the demand is high make sure to research whatever GC you use. 

Congrats on your journeyman Vance!  That's a huge step and I say more power to you! No pun intended.  :unsure: :joking:

Thank you for volunteering your experience.   The biggest question I have at this juncture is what pdxmonkeyboy was already starting to bring up.  This house is HUGE and has a few things tying up bonus circuits like the jacuzzi.  The main panel is full and has no more breaker slots. I don't anticipate a crazy amount of draw from this room as I'm not trying to go ballistic down there but there is only one plug in the room currently.  Is this going to require a submain? 

@pdxmonkeyboy Feel free to hop in on this too, wasn't trying to skip what you said about it but felt I'd address it along with Vance.  If so, how labor intensive is it really?  14 hours for you might not translate to me very well.  You seem more versed in these things than I am.  I'm not ignorant of electricity, in fact I was educated heavily on a lot of basics in the military (AC/DC, electronics math, component level electronics from caps to cathodes) and am sort of handy.  I've zapped myself more than a few times to boot.  Is this seriously in my scope of ability?  I need to not kill myself or burn down my home, those are about my only constraints.

4 hours ago, TheClark said:

Definitely a great discussion!  

Well, I need input here.  The room is in the garage so the floor is cement. Ideally I want a drain and a waterproof liner where the floor meets the wall.  However, garage floors slant towards the door.  What can I do?  Tile it to tilt appropriately?  Can I even have a drain put through the floor without the pump?  I have no idea what is feasible here.  Ironically plumbing is definitely the area of all of this I have the least experience with.  The only experience I can speak of actually is what we I've done with PVC on my reef.  Also a utility sink needs to be run which means splicing off exisiting lines I assume?  No idea where to even begin on that one...

edit: two writing classes this term and goddang I write a lot of words... apologies for the wall of text everyone.

Edited by youcallmenny

2 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Also a utility sink needs to be run which means splicing off exisiting lines I assume?  No idea where to even begin on that one...

A shark bite fitting and pex to your new sink is super easy way to get hot and cold to your new sink.  If you can find a hot and cold line to T off of.  Lots of good tutorials out there.  Plus you can get pex tools in the process and save a bunch of $$, highly recommend you tackle this one if time permits.

For a sink drain, that can be tricker to find one to tie into.  If you do find one, the next challenge is venting it.  I like those AAV (air admittance valve) as you don't have to run a vent pipe all the way to the roof to drain.

For the garage floor drain, I have not began to research yet, so probably not much help!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willapa said:

I've got a lot of experience with residential building ventilation, in particular heat recovery ventilators (HRVs). If anyone is interested in info on these or how to pick a good one, hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your opinion, do you think two bathroom fans in this small room with so much water is sufficient?  Is there a better option?  I have that 150g stock tank for the sump but I plan on cutting some acrylic to cover as much of it as I can.  I figure since the tank upstairs is uncovered and the skimmer is big, oxygenation shouldn't be a problem.  Hopefully covering it some will cut down on evaporation and salt creep down there.  

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

A shark bite fitting and pex to your new sink is super easy way to get hot and cold to your new sink.  If you can find a hot and cold line to T off of.  Lots of good tutorials out there.  Plus you can get pex tools in the process and save a bunch of $$, highly recommend you tackle this one if time permits.

For a sink drain, that can be tricker to find one to tie into.  If you do find one, the next challenge is venting it.  I like those AAV (air admittance valve) as you don't have to run a vent pipe all the way to the roof to drain.

For the garage floor drain, I have not began to research yet, so probably not much help!  

That's good info.  There's probably an accessible water line.  There's no rush here and I like money and tools so that works out.  :yippee:

This is easily going to be the biggest challenge here the more I think about the water lines are actually at in relation to this room though.  That's ok, that's what this thread is for!

Edited by youcallmenny

1 minute ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

you are not going to cover it with acrylic. you are going to cover it with polycarbonate.

If you would like to know why then take a trip to seahorse.

professional plastics in tualatin is THE source for all things plastic in this area.

Whoa... Quick google search nixed that one.  Good catch!  It isn't going to be complete either, more like covering ~75% I think so this is an important thing.  Poly-carbonate just doesn't do that? 

48 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Hmm... Interested in the AAV - will need to check that out.

Floor drains - ugh.  From experience building out two zebra fish facilities at work (using contractors) don't underestimate the challenge of trying to pitch a floor to drain well.  Apparently the "pros" even have a hard time with this.  Interested in @TheClark's false floor idea but not sure it would work in your space.

46 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

you are not going to cover it with acrylic. you are going to cover it with polycarbonate.

If you would like to know why then take a trip to seahorse.

professional plastics in tualatin is THE source for all things plastic in this area.

Haha - yeah, there is some significant warpage going on there! Best to avoid that mistake.

Sorry for the thread-jack Greg but this is all stuff that interests me as well just in case I ever actually have time and money to spare :unsure:

• Like 2

i gave the waterproof thing a lot of thought.. i eventually decided it wasnt worth it but if i was... i would build a sloped plywood floor, then lay shower pan liner over the top and up the walls about an inch. and then cover it with that open grid fiberglass floor panels.

but for the time and $400 i just bought a dedicated aquarium shop vac

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i gave the waterproof thing a lot of thought.. i eventually decided it wasnt worth it but if i was... i would build a sloped plywood floor, then lay shower pan liner over the top and up the walls about an inch. and then cover it with that open grid fiberglass floor panels.

but for the time and $400 i just bought a dedicated aquarium shop vac

I didn't realize how expensive pan liner was until i lined my latest stand - would hate to have to do a large area of floor with it - Yikes!  I can see how you ended up with the shop vac :D

38 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

here is a good test to determine if you know enough to be plumbing.

what is the purpose of a P trap?

dont google it! when you find out you will be like wow.. that makes perfect sense.

Well P traps are used so gases don't come back up through whatever its attached to................oh and also catch rings and other things that get down the drain :laugh: 

Do I get a prize ;) 

4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well P traps are used so gases don't come back up through whatever its attached to................oh and also catch rings and other things that get down the drain :laugh: 

Do I get a prize ;) 

Absolutely!  You get to do Greg’s plumbing for him!  You can thank us later 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well see and I am not even a plumber..............I may have plumbers crack :laugh: sorry had to...........

Hey I am all in for helping someone out..............I am one of those people who knows just enough to get into trouble ;) 30 plus years working construction I have seen it all so I kind of think I can kind of do it..........and if I cant I probably know someone who can ;)

Edited by spectra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

..... [emoji6] 30 plus years working construction I have seen it all so I kind of think I can kind of do it..........and if I cant I probably know someone who can [emoji6]

have you seen this?

nothing like a 10d nail straight through your tibia to wake you up in the morning.

now my right leg is worth $43,000bf3e19c8621a3a6ecdff1fe2d0834f39.jpge39743b2c1ffbc200eac8354bd2446ea.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

have you seen this?

nothing like a 10d nail straight through your tibia to wake you up in the morning.

now my right leg is worth $43,000bf3e19c8621a3a6ecdff1fe2d0834f39.jpge39743b2c1ffbc200eac8354bd2446ea.jpg

Well talk about waking you up in the morning :laugh: I had a 3K beam hit me at 4 am and well..........................20131105_130819.jpg

Hell 6 months later they send me back to work saying all is good.......................3 months later I go back in and well your leg is still broken...............I end up with this...........

IMG_0571.jpg

That's good info.  There's probably an accessible water line.  There's no rush here and I like money and tools so that works out.  :yippee:
This is easily going to be the biggest challenge here the more I think about the water lines are actually at in relation to this room though.  That's ok, that's what this thread is for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk