Fun Fish

MrsBret

I think I might be more in love with some of these fish than my seahorses right now and that's saying a lot from me!  Looooove these guys!  There's some other awesome ones here too that I'm waiting for lights to come on to take pics of.  Stop by and check them out. <3

cowfish.jpg

coralhogfish.jpg

fishy.jpg

findingnemo.jpg

kissyfish.jpg

pinkyellowfish.jpg

scallop.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, albertareef said:

I was wondering about that myself. Where’s @Flashy Fins when you need her?

Fish nerd bells are ringing! @Exodus is correct, split-level hogfish (or Eclipse hogfish, as I know it; same creature). They’re not blue, as the lighting suggests, but burgundy and yellow. Gets huge and will eat your inverts, as well as smaller fish once it’s large enough, although the pointy little face of a juvie is hard to resist! Cuban hogfish is my fave, but the Eclipse is a good hog, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

Fish nerd bells are ringing! @Exodus is correct, split-level hogfish (or Eclipse hogfish, as I know it; same creature). They’re not blue, as the lighting suggests, but burgundy and yellow. Gets huge and will eat your inverts, as well as smaller fish once it’s large enough, although the pointy little face of a juvie is hard to resist! Cuban hogfish is my fave, but the Eclipse is a good hog, too. 

It is blue and yellow. Brett said coral hog fish.

1 hour ago, kknight said:

[language filter], how many names has this fish been given? Its in its juvenile stage as of now, when it grows and changes you will see why they call it a SplitLevel, but Coral Hogfish is also a name used for it too.

130900L.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exodus said:

[language filter], how many names has this fish been given? Its in its juvenile stage as of now, when it grows and changes you will see why they call it a SplitLevel, but Coral Hogfish is also a name used for it too.

130900L.jpg

So my blue and yellow spotted fish will turn pink and yellow ?

If so that would be cool

1 minute ago, kknight said:

So my blue and yellow spotted fish will turn pink and yellow ?

If so that would be cool

Difficult to say to be honest, They range from a Light Pink on the Front to a Dark Purple and Yellow to White on the Back, though the Black Stripe Down the Middle will be there. It makes me wonder if these color ranges should be considered different genesis's, but apart from slight color variation they all look the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kknight said:

Split-level, Eclipse, and Coral hogfish are all the same fish. No end to common names, but I’ll take that over learning Latin. :sleep:

I can see how reef lighting would make the deep color look purple or blue, but it will change as it gets older, like Exodus showed. Liveaquaria also has a nice picture showing juvie and adult color forms. 

• Like 2