92g Oregon Reef

jtarmitage

Well, had my first rookie mistake with this tank...been trying to figure out what was going on with my tank this week. 

Lesson learned: pay attention which bottle is which when you put the caps back on. Dumped 1/4 of the big BRS bottle of what I thought was magnesium into the tank. Discovered today as I was starting to set up my new-to-me doser that I had actually dumped in was the calcium component...😲

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, jtarmitage said:

Well, had my first rookie mistake with this tank...been trying to figure out what was going on with my tank this week. 

Lesson learned: pay attention which bottle is which when you put the caps back on. Dumped 1/4 of the big BRS bottle of what I thought was magnesium into the tank. Discovered today as I was starting to set up my new-to-me doser that I had actually dumped in was the calcium component...😲

Ouch!  Hate when things like that happen... as if it isn't hard enough already.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress. Got the mixing station set up. Now turning a few ball valves will move the fresh RODI to the salt bin. Add salt and the pump and inline heater will get it prepped, then another v salve will send it to the tank. 😁

Also got the manifold installed, my carbon and gfo reactors installed, and built a couple of shelves for the doser and chemicals. Still need to tidy up the wires, but 1 thing at a time lol. 

20180427_160213.jpg

20180427_160227.jpg

20180427_160256.jpg

Edited by jtarmitage
  • Like 3

Picked up a frag tank. It had a leaky overflow box that was just a bit big to fit the space I had, so it was time to bust out the saw...20180430_125831.jpg

Then a patch to close up the hole and a few hours of polishing, a new hole in the side for a drain, and voila..

20180430_182100.jpg20180430_181916.jpg

And in place. Still need to plumb it and get a bit of foam under it just for peace of mind and to hide the plywood and give it a cleaner look. 

20180430_183141.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to update yet. Frag tank is still not online as s I got sidetracked remodeling a pair of bathrooms. Half way through tiling the first shower. Had to pull the tub to build a shower to take a bit of space from this bathroom to expand my shower a tad. Takes awhile as I'm learning as I go lol. 

20180522_200216.jpg

With that being said, there will be a bit of a change with the tank coming up next month 😁

For now, its back to tiling for me...😐

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working on getting a different display tank for the last 6 months and finally picked it up last night. It'll be a bit before I get it ready to go, but here's a teaser...also, who has info on buffing out a scratch on a glass tank?  I think I saw a conversation awhile back about cesium oxide, but would love more details before I run off and try it lol

20181028_202715.jpg

• Like 1

3m makes glass polishing kits. Key is to use a lot of running water while doing it. I used to have to polish original glass for muscle car restorations. It's a pain and takes a lot of elbow grease. Don't concentrate in the area of the scratch or you will see a defect area when done. Kinda blend it out. 

44 minutes ago, jtarmitage said:

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working on getting a different display tank for the last 6 months and finally picked it up last night. It'll be a bit before I get it ready to go, but here's a teaser...also, who has info on buffing out a scratch on a glass tank?  I think I saw a conversation awhile back about cesium oxide, but would love more details before I run off and try it lol

20181028_202715.jpg

Yay you got it !!! Finally ! I can’t wait to see what you do. You do nice work !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...