Rusting metal stand

stephanie

I have a 180 that has been set up for about 3 years and the metal stand is really rusting. I painted the stand with a heavy coat of Rust-oleum paint, but it obviously was not enough. So I am taking down the tank, sand blasting the stand and either powder coating or using bed liner. Witch one do you think would stand up better?

9 minutes ago, River City Corals said:

Powder coating as long as all rust is removed

I would suggest this as well, but also Keep in Mind Powder Coated metal can rust as well so its always good to ensure you are wiping down the metal after spills and cleaning it up. Since it is a Metal Stand I don't know what it looks like or if there is some sort of cabinet around it or not, but consider easy to remove panels or a skin so you can easily remove for cleaning :)

Well coming from a metal guy I will say that the powder coat will rust at some point also if water is left to sit on it. The bed liner is way thicker but it will cost a lot more than the powder coat in the end. I talked with a bed liner company and they can do a stand but there guns are made with such a wide pattern that there is a lot of product loss when they spray a small area like a metal frame.

Both will need a nice clean surface so at least you are blasting it first. Good luck on the fix !

The big problem with powder coating is that it doesn’t fill cracks or small pits.  These are a prime spots for corrosion.  Especially in a saltwater environment.  A direct to metal 2 part epoxy primer with a top coat is my choice.  

Rust is like cancer once it starts it must be addressed right away or it will continue to spread and it will keep spreading faster and faster. I work in the auto body industry and we deal with rust. There are ways to stop it and prevent it from spreading. I would recommend you sand it back as far as you can and if possible even take a small grinder to it. When done you will still have some pits that have rust in them you will need to treat the metal with rust mort  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-69508?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-sem-products-inc&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_5_QBRC9ARIsADVww15WCGEOa9jazyHyDlDKXyTEB5XgVCxjhU9NLUHO85GDi9nZwpxMSD8aAlN6EALw_wcB

it will completely stop the rust given you follow the directions on the product. After use a self etch primer for steel, you only need a very light coat and should be somewhat transparent after applied. All self etch primer does is help the real primer adhere to the metal. From there you will need a metal primer. Once the primer has dried you will need to lightly scuff the primer and apply the paint of your choice, again choose a paint designed for metal.  All of this stuff can be purchased in Portland from auto paint supplies Wesco, or Industrial Finishes. If you are in Vancouver area I knoew there is a place called Bobs Paint Land. 

9 hours ago, stephanie said:

Thank you for all the advice. Sounds like we might sandblast then 2 part epoxy primer.

If you have a way of doing that it may be the best thing. Not everyone has a way of spraying two part........I used it years ago on my old truck when doing body panels. Great stuff just make sure to wear proper equipment as breathing that stuff is not good....................

i was just getting an estimate to get the stand i am building powder coated. He said that if it was a saltwater stand i should do there two part coating which is an epoxy primer and then powder coat.

It was pretty cheap considering. 6x2x30 stand was like $175 for powder and $250 for the two part system...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk