Ryan’s 150G DD Marineland Build

R-3

33 minutes ago, R-3 said:

Okay so you use both hole for drains and then just run the return up the back? I know nothing about herbie's so I will look more into in. What simplicity pump did you end up going with?? 

The new system I got that Scott build is a Herbie, give me a call & I'll explain it to you, otherwise we were supposed to get together this month sometimes, I'll bring the beer and chips this time ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exodus said:

The new system I got that Scott build is a Herbie, give me a call & I'll explain it to you, otherwise we were supposed to get together this month sometimes, I'll bring the beer and chips this time ;)

Sounds like a plan Nick!

13 hours ago, albertareef said:

Rock work looks really sharp from that angle!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, xmas_one said:

Looking good, super hard to scape cubes. Looks like a little atoll.

Atoll? Man had to look that one up. It kinda does

25 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

I love the horseshoe.  Atoll indeed!  Good job, can't wait to see it stocked.

Thanks. You guys and your fancy words.....atoll

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Ron Popeil said:

hi ryan! i also have the marineland 150DD and i absolutely love it. although, now i secretly wish i would have gone with the 300DD! I like your open rockwork too. like you, im a fan of a few big rocks to set up the structure, and leave lots of empty space. here is my tank when i set it up last year (using rocks i bought at waves back in like...2007!)

CikQkBS.jpg

and here it is this year....way too filled with SPS

Jordan how the hell you been?

Sorry Ryan :laugh: but your tank looks good.

Been a few years since I saw or heard from Jordy..........

Oh and yes Herbie style overflow is great for tanks with only two holes. They are dead silent and was better than the Durso set up.

Edited by spectra
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, spectra said:

Jordan how the hell you been?

Sorry Ryan :laugh: but your tank looks good.

Been a few years since I saw or heard from Jordy..........

Oh and yes Herbie style overflow is great for tanks with only two holes. They are dead silent and was better than the Durso set up.

No problem Scott! Was pretty excited to see Jordan post too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES-

Good news is that the Vertex Omega 180i showed up today. Bad news is that I am leaving for a few days and dont have time to play with it lol!

Also got my Flipper Magnet! This is seriously one of the coolest magnets I have ever owned, very ingenious. I dont have anything crazy to scrape so I will just have to wait awhile.

Also looking to buy a DC return pump once I get back next week. Havent totally decided on the brand yet. Maybe I will get lucky at the meeting....maybe there will be one up for raffle!

15 minutes ago, R-3 said:

UPDATES-

Good news is that the Vertex Omega 180i showed up today. Bad news is that I am leaving for a few days and dont have time to play with it lol!

Also got my Flipper Magnet! This is seriously one of the coolest magnets I have ever owned, very ingenious. I dont have anything crazy to scrape so I will just have to wait awhile.

Also looking to buy a DC return pump once I get back next week. Havent totally decided on the brand yet. Maybe I will get lucky at the meeting....maybe there will be one up for raffle!

no need to look further than here Red Dragon has you covered!! :)

Finally got it! [language filter] this skimmer is gorgeous. By far the best built piece of equipment I have ever seen. It’s a tank. Vinegar bath tonight and I will probably hook it up before the meeting tomorrow. Any suggestions for tuning? I know a couple of you have had these skimmers

3C62EA9D-A0FF-45E6-8A04-6B194CEA8BAF.jpeg

UPDATE-

Got the Vertex 180i cleaned up and rocking in the tank. Extremely nice skimmer! So far so good

Also just started going through a little algae bloom! WOOHOOO

I do need a little help with wavemaker recommendations. I know a lot of people love the Vortechs. I bought a couple used off here and to me personally they are really loud. Must be some certain audible noise that my ear picks up. Gonna sell those and get something else. I've looked at the Maxxspect & Ice Cap gyres, Jebao pumps, CoralBOX pumps, and Tunze. Kind of torn on which way I wanna go. I could just run two Jebao PP20's, Tunze 6015's, CoralBox QP16's or possibly two IceCap Gyre 3k for about $300. Im thinking two of the IceCaps would create some killer flow. Any thoughts? Gracias in advance

md_foty_award.jpg

Edited by R-3

i had two original mp40s and after i switched my return pump and skimmer to Simplicity DC pumps...the vortechs were the loudest part of my aquarium and they became increasingly obnoxious. i invested in two mp40 quiet drives....and HOLY CRAP. 

quieter than silent. and they move a tremendous amount of water.

i know theyre ridiculously expensive. but you wont be disappointed and you wont have to buy crappy powerheads first and then wish you would have just bought the best. 

11 hours ago, Ron Popeil said:

i had two original mp40s and after i switched my return pump and skimmer to Simplicity DC pumps...the vortechs were the loudest part of my aquarium and they became increasingly obnoxious. i invested in two mp40 quiet drives....and HOLY CRAP. 

quieter than silent. and they move a tremendous amount of water.

i know theyre ridiculously expensive. but you wont be disappointed and you wont have to buy crappy powerheads first and then wish you would have just bought the best. 

That’s kind of what I figured out! What size simplicity pump are you running? 

1 hour ago, cjmdh said:

I am going to put two of the 3K gyers in my 120.  One vertical and one horizontal.  I think @Shaywood has this setup with Maxspect gyers too. 

I’ve seen that in a couple threads. Hmm...