Ryan’s 150G DD Marineland Build

R-3

Well I’m back! Was gonna setup another 120G but stumbled across this bad boy for sale on the forums a couple months ago. Always loved these Marineland Deep Dimension tanks! Definetly the best dimensions (besides the height) you can get out of a factory made aquarium. It’s a 150G aquarium and the dimensions are 36”x36”26”. One of the downfalls I don’t like about these tanks are how short the stands are. I researched a couple different options and decided to build a small 7” pedestal for it. Bringing the overall height to 36”. I haven’t totally finished it yet (needs trimmed out) but it gets the tank rolling quicker.

As for  livestock  I am going to probably stick with LPS, softies and a few SPS. I’ve always loved tanks with big leathers and euphyllias so I will definetly have a few of those. Haven’t decided on a fish list yet...still working on that. I have accumulated some rock over time but I did order 100lbs of base rock from Billy’s Reef Connection that I really like.

As for equipment I’m gonna start out pretty basic and will probably upgrade over time. Going to use an algae scrubber and probably purchase a controller in the next few months, once cycled. Here’s a breakdown-

Lighting - 2 Ocean Revive Arctic 247

Return Pump - Sicce Syncra 4

Flow - 2 MP40’s

Sump - Trigger Systems Ruby Elite 30

Skimmer - SCA 302 (Probably will upgrade first)

HERE ARE SOME PICS 

27F18F4C-4E5C-41FF-993C-0A39697DFE26.jpeg044C3165-D86E-4CD1-A454-E336464FDA01.jpeg

Edited by R-3
  • Like 5

UPDATE- 

Got the tank plumbed on Thursday. Filled with water and tested the tank over the last couple days.  Got the water drained  earlier this morning. Rinsed about 100 lbs or so of sand and got it in the tank tonight. Having the carpets cleaned on Wednesday so probably won’t do anything more until after that. Can’t wait to get this thing going!

64AACF92-597E-43B0-8615-B2DC8306D062.jpeg

Edited by R-3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stugots said:

Very exciting.  Are you going to run a DIY or store bought algae scrubber?   When do you start running it?  After cycle? Following.

I won a Santa Monica Scrubber at the Albany meeting a few months ago and plan on using that. I honestly haven't done a ton of research on them yet but i'm pretty sure that it would be okay if I add it after the cycle. 

18 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Congrats on finding a tank you like. Good idea with the pedestal - those tanks do seem to sit pretty low normally. That said, I still have a hard time reaching the bottom 😞

Yeah it’s still a reach. The front of the canopy flips up so that will make it easier👍🏼

13 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

looking good!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks! 

38 minutes ago, nrc said:

Looks great.  I really dig "square" display tanks.

Yeah sweet dimensions. Lots of depth

38 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

Look good man, check on that scrubber I think it’s only good for smaller tanks. I just fired up a blob of chaeto in my sump, maybe consider that instead of a scrubber. That center section of the trigger sump would probably work good for a chaeto spot.

Im thinking that same thing. Now that I have looked at it more over the last couple days it might be small. Good  thing is I just snagged a Kessil Purple H150 to light that area up. If thats the route I decide to go. Probably will be easier to maintain also

Look good man, check on that scrubber I think it’s only good for smaller tanks. I just fired up a blob of chaeto in my sump, maybe consider that instead of a scrubber. That center section of the trigger sump would probably work good for a chaeto spot.
that's exactly what I am doing on my 300 build. rolling chaeto with ebay led. it's gangster

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

that's exactly what I am doing on my 300 build. rolling chaeto with ebay led. it's gangster

Well I guess I can't argue if its "gangster"! :D

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, spectra said:

Dang enough chatter get this thing wet :laugh: good to see you back in the game. We all take are breaks though don't we ;) hell its been what 10 years or so I think...........

Funny thing is we both came back with a nano and now look :rolleyes:

Yeah it’s crazy! Always wanted to setup one of these 3’ Marineland DD’s.

Always upgrading! Some of the new technology has me pretty excited to upgrade pieces over time. So many new things over the last few years

19 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

looking good. i like that scape. i have spent hours and hours trying to decide on a scape for my tank.

Yeah I might change it up a bit but it works for now. Might try to add a few pieces but we will see 

4 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Running a Filter Sock right? That should clear it up pretty quickly!

Ohh yeah dual 4". Should be pretty fast. Its been about a hour and already looking better